EMG pickup question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Hi. I'm searching for a quite cheap guitar with which I'll be experimenting some downtuning (C, B or drop Bb, drop A tunings) and I want it to be fixed bridge and EMG equipped. It should be a 25.5" scale, since I don't want extra-loose strings nor going with .060s :wink: Can you suggest a guitar under $500-$600?
Otherwise, I was thinking about getting a lower grade Ibanez (RGA32?? i like the finish) and install EMGs. Do I have to buy just the pickups and the dedicated EMG pots or is there another circuit board to be installed? Sorry but I've never owned an EMG equipped guitar.

here's the ibanez rga32 btw
RGA32_MOL.jpg

When you buy an EMG pick-up you got everything you need right out of the box: the pick-up, the pots, the buss board, the wires, clips, etc... the only part you don't have with the pick-ups is the switch/selector, I suggest you to buy a good one (depending on how's the one already installed on the guitar). On the other hand you've to put a certain guitar under those pick-up, you cannot just throw an 81/60 combo into a cheap guitar and expect it sounds like an ESP or a Jackson. EMG pick-ups tend to be very "respectfull" to the original sound of the guitar (I've the same pick-ups installed on various guitars and they all sound very different regarding the woods, never understood why so much people keep on saying every EMG equipped guitar sound the same, probably they never heard their instrument unplugged) so if the guitar you're gonna use has a crappy (or sterile, or too thin) sound on itself EMG's will sound as sterile and thin. The Ibanez you posted has a mahogany body and that's good and the maple/rosewood neck's also good but I've grabbed one of those in a store and it looked way too light, bright and uresonanting and, as we know, Ibanez's not known for its wood quality but for its floating bridges and thin necks.

ytse_jam said:
Sorry but I've never owned an EMG equipped guitar.

Are you sure you like EMG's? What tone you're after? What amp you use?

bluestometal said:
When you buy an EMG pick-up you got everything you need right out of the box: the pick-up, the pots, the buss board, the wires, clips, etc... the only part you don't have with the pick-ups is the switch/selector, I suggest you to buy a good one (depending on how's the one already installed on the guitar). On the other hand you've to put a certain guitar under those pick-up, you cannot just throw an 81/60 combo into a cheap guitar and expect it sounds like an ESP or a Jackson. EMG pick-ups tend to be very "respectfull" to the original sound of the guitar (I've the same pick-ups installed on various guitars and they all sound very different regarding the woods, never understood why so much people keep on saying every EMG equipped guitar sound the same, probably they never heard their instrument unplugged) so if the guitar you're gonna use has a crappy (or sterile, or too thin) sound on itself EMG's will sound as sterile and thin. The Ibanez you posted has a mahogany body and that's good and the maple/rosewood neck's also good but I've grabbed one of those in a store and it looked way too light, bright and uresonanting and, as we know, Ibanez's not known for its wood quality but for its floating bridges and thin necks.

ytse_jam said:
Sorry but I've never owned an EMG equipped guitar.

Are you sure you like EMG's? What tone you're after? What amp you use?

Thank you for your reply. I agree with all you said, but I can live with a lower quality guitar, also because it wouldn't be my main axe. My only fancy would be EMGs in it, since I'm looking for decent definition with low tunings. A friend of mine let me play live his ESP KH-2 with EMGs three or four times, so I know the pickup character. Otherwise, for not-so-low-tunings (I usually play in D standard) I prefer passives :wink:
My gear is listed in my signature.
It would be better to find a guitar in that price range which comes with EMGs stock however.

Schecter damien elite. They cost right around $500 and are 25.5" scale and all ready have a set of EMG 81 and 85. Here is a manufacturer link. If you want there are other models on the higher side of your budget that have set neck like the hellraiser special series. Many owners report that they are very pleased with their purchase. Another option is to get an agile. They are sold exclusively by rondo music. You can get one of them with emgs and even a longer scale if you want for even less money. $600 for a 5 piece neck through guitar with emg's and the scale length you want. Quality is great for being a korean guitar. About on par with the schecter.

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro625ebtgreen.html

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Damien-Elite-6.aspx

ytse_jam said:
My gear is listed in my signature.

Sorry, my bad :)

ytse_jam said:
It would be better to find a guitar in that price range which comes with EMGs stock however.

Right! If it's like that right out of the box then it's good.

ytse_jam said:
A friend of mine let me play live his ESP KH-2 with EMGs three or four times, so I know the pickup character.

It's like saying: "A friend of mine let me drive his Camaro so I'm gonna put the same fuel into my car" :D You played a very hi-end guitar with alder body and maple/ebony neck and with a neck-through construction and an exceptional fretjob/intonation, if you play a Shecter Hellraiser with the same woods/hardware/electronics configuration you'll hear a very different character (more thin and less tight, specially on the bass side). It's a good strating point to know where those pick-ups can go but you've to watch about the rest of the instrument: with EMG's and actives in general even the material of the bridge can do bad to your tone aside the ususal aspects (strange noises and interferences). Maybe you can look for an used ESP Horizon NT or maybe the LTD version and have a very good guitar with hi-end woods already equipped with EMG's and even if you find one with Duncan's you can swap pick-ups with no worries.

bluestometal said:
ytse_jam said:
A friend of mine let me play live his ESP KH-2 with EMGs three or four times, so I know the pickup character.

It's like saying: "A friend of mine let me drive his Camaro so I'm gonna put the same fuel into my car" :D

I partly disagree. Yes the KH-2 is a different guitar but I think the vast majority of the guitar's tone lies in the pickups and not the wood. If you take two guitars of identical shape and bridge style (style meaning TOM/FR/STB), equip them with the different PUs, there will be a big difference in tone, at least much bigger than if you take two superstrats with the same PUs and bridge style and just different woods. IMHO at least.

I do believe different shapes in addition to woods have a larger impact. To me, explorers have a lot of *** compared to other guitars regardless of PU choice.

Explorer shaped guitars got more "ballsy" low frequencies and more puch, where for "punch" I don't mean Jackson-like punch but really a punch in the abdomen... Ok, I know that will probably make no sense to you but just grab an ESP or Gibson Explorer and play it unplugged and you'll get it.

Thanks! I was looking at a couple Explorer-types with EMGs, and didn't know if this was a warning against.

I'm basically looking for something to use for metal that I can downtune on the fly or whatever. Right now I have two 7-strings in standard tuning and a 6 in Drop-D. All have passive pups and floating trems, so they are married to their tunings and not very metal.

And I have a new Mini Recto that's begging for metal.

Nah "***" it's not a warning against. Unless lows make you crap you pants :lol:

I think EMGs are great for low tuned stuff because they sound super clear to me. Right now I'm in a "I want dirt" phase so I'll be exchanging my 81/60 set for a pair of Alnico BKP Nailbombs. I still like the EMGs for their punch and clarity, but I kind of favor the sound of passives lately. Who knows, maybe I'll get a V shape and load the EMGs back in some day.

Jackie said:
Right now I'm in a "I want dirt" phase

Did you heard/tried the EMG Het set? I know it's a big commercial stuff and, even being a crazy big Metallica fan, the 1st thing I said when heard about it was "I'll never buy something I already have on all my guitars just 'cause it has a fancy cover and a Jaymx pic on the box" but then i started to hear some samples and side-by-side with the 81/60 and it really sounds (youtube-level) like a passive "blusey" EMG. Of course I don't take such samples as "the real truth", specially 'cause i hate when people ner use the volume knob when demoing pick-ups (I use it a lot) but being, sometime, in a dirtier mood (you said it the right) I think I'll give it a chance, at least.

elvis said:
Thanks! I was looking at a couple Explorer-types with EMGs, and didn't know if this was a warning against.

The only warn against Explorer shaped guitars is that you've to hold out the chicks at gigs, no joking :) .

elvis said:
I'm basically looking for something to use for metal that I can downtune on the fly or whatever. Right now I have two 7-strings in standard tuning and a 6 in Drop-D. All have passive pups and floating trems, so they are married to their tunings and not very metal.

And I have a new Mini Recto that's begging for metal.

I've used Gibson's and ESP's Explorers w/EMG's D tuned for years and never heard of a better tone, I've always beaten to death the other guitarists in my bands for puch, definition and cut-through-the-mix even at very hi-gain settings... and I was much cooler :D

bluestometal said:
Jackie said:
Right now I'm in a "I want dirt" phase

Did you heard/tried the EMG Het set? I know it's a big commercial stuff and, even being a crazy big Metallica fan, the 1st thing I said when heard about it was "I'll never buy something I already have on all my guitars just 'cause it has a fancy cover and a Jaymx pic on the box" but then i started to hear some samples and side-by-side with the 81/60 and it really sounds (youtube-level) like a passive "blusey" EMG. Of course I don't take such samples as "the real truth", specially 'cause i hate when people ner use the volume knob when demoing pick-ups (I use it a lot) but being, sometime, in a dirtier mood (you said it the right) I think I'll give it a chance, at least.

No I didn't try it but I did hear it and it did sound like something I'd like to swap to. But I also wanted to deliberately sway away from actives, so EMGs are out of the question.

Latest posts

Back