Crystal Frets and Silver p'ups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar GeeK

Reaction score
Is anyone on this forum willing to drop $1500 on a fret job for SUPPOSEDLY improved tone. The details are you send them your guitar, they grind some of the fret board off, and fit solid quartz frets onto the fingerboard.

http://www.crystalfrets.com/

And while your here, wazzup with Seymour Duncan Zephyr pickups, for a grand for the set. The reason being is because, instead of using copper for the winding, those voodoo artists at Seymour D is using SILVER!!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/newproducts/zephyr-silver-pickups.php

i saw the crystal frets add in a guitar mag.. seems crazy. i have never heard of anyone using them, so no tone references; and would the quartz be softer than nickel? would hate to have to spend 1500 every few years to get that fixed.

dmcguitar said:
i saw the crystal frets add in a guitar mag.. seems crazy. i have never heard of anyone using them, so no tone references; and would the quartz be softer than nickel? would hate to have to spend 1500 every few years to get that fixed.

Quartzite is a "harder" material (rock) than nickel or steel (metals) but also more brittle.

I suppose there might be "some" merit to the claims advertised but what are to true gains versus cost?
Would a true scientific blind test revel any compelling tone improvement to the consuming masses?

I doubt it.

This product would be "useful" only as bragging rights to those non-playing cork sniffers such as
many of those guys over at the MyLesPaul forum. Affluent people that own the most expensive and prettiest
gear you ever saw but have no idea of how to use it. You know - the rich poser wannabes.

My judgement = Snake Oil.

Whats going to make me laugh my way into an early grave is im sure their will be a couple anti stainless fret people who will rant and rave that this is the next great leap in guitar technology. If tone gurus claim that stainless frets make a guitar sound too bright and tinny then even harder quartz frets would be even worse. Honestly, a better material would be tungsten. It would be cheaper and just as hard if not harder and would retain the look of a regular fret but with a cool anthracite type hue. A tunsten fret would have to almost surely be cast but it is possible. If they can make a watch out of the stuff they can make a fret.

purpledc said:
Whats going to make me laugh my way into an early grave is im sure their will be a couple anti stainless fret people who will rant and rave that this is the next great leap in guitar technology. If tone gurus claim that stainless frets make a guitar sound too bright and tinny then even harder quartz frets would be even worse. Honestly, a better material would be tungsten. It would be cheaper and just as hard if not harder and would retain the look of a regular fret but with a cool anthracite type hue. A tunsten fret would have to almost surely be cast but it is possible. If they can make a watch out of the stuff they can make a fret.

I'm not gonna fret over it......

Bah, I'd rather see them use that silver to make cables, but even that ends up with a slight improvement in conductivity for a lot of money paid.

I think getting Bare Knuckle Pickups is shelling out I don't even want to think about thinking about getting any of this fancy-pants stuff :lol:

Back