Change in String Gauge

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TremoJem

Reaction score
I have been using 9-42 all my life.

I am considering tuning my guitar down a half step or to E flat.

I have heard that a heavier string gauge will help reduce the flubby feel this has with my 9-42.

What do you suggest I change to?

I use D'Addario and they have some interesting choices, for example they offer sets that start at 9.5, or 10. They also have mixes or hybrid sets.

I don't want "cable" on my guitar or "heavy" as I don't think I would like the feel.

Also, what can I expect in tone, as I have heard a heavier set adds to tone with thickness, sustain etc.

Please feel free to explain, thanks.

I think if you're only going to downtune a half step you'd probably be fine just going to 10's. The principle at work here is a heavier gauge string at the same tension as a lighter one will naturally resonate at a lower frequency because it has more mass. Therefore to get a heavier string to resonate at the same frequency you have to increase the tension on that string. This is why heavier string guitars are harder to do bends on and the strings have a stiffer feel as opposed to the slinkiness of say 9's. So it could be if you take a heavier gauge string and detune it a half step from standard you will end up with the 10's feeling like a set of 9's would in standard tuning. Of course this is just my laymen's understanding of it and I'm sure there are people who could get more precise as to exactly what strings you should use. My feeling is skip the hybrids and just move one step up.

One thing I don't know about is whether you'll have to adjust the spring tension for the tremolo when you change string gauges. My guess would be that you should.

Also, I'd like to add that I'm building a guitar for someone who said he wanted it set up for 14's as he intends to downtune it considerably. I told him that in order to do that I would have to set up the bridge and nut for the larger diameter strings, and was concerned that if he ever wanted to use a more normal gauge like 12's or 11's the nut and bridge slots may prove to be a bit sloppy. I'm not sure, but I think you might have the reverse problem. I believe most Ibanez Jems are set up for 9's, and if you tried to go too heavy the strings might not seat properly in the locking nut and bridge saddles. It would probably still play, but it might buzz a little bit, or the strings just wouldn't resonate properly. I think you should be safe going up one gauge though.

I agree with you on all points.

I never considered the nut or bridge with regards to the string fit, so good point and thanks.

I considered the possibility that I might have to adjust the bridge height and of course the spring tension.

Interestingly, I read that a famous guitar player actually used custom string gauges that only changed the low three (E, A, D) strings, and tuned down only a half step. I will say that my problems with tuning down a half step seem to only affect those strings as well. I do not, however, believe that, that approach would sit comfortably with me.

I thank you for your response and will try your suggestions.

my vote is for tens. You could even stick with 9's if you did skinny top heavy bottoms. There is a huge debate over whether thicker strings give you more tone. I dont like to say more because "good tone" is subjective. Its simply different. Yes thicker strings should in most cases help with sustain to a point but I feel you lose a little dynamics when you go really thick. I like a brilliant tone with rich harmonics and lots of overtones. I think going higher than 10's when in standard or half step down only hurts you.

I pulled the trigger on the 10s.

There are two other choices in between the 9s and the 10s, but I thought I would go right to the tens for a good a/b comparison.

Back