Anyone own a PRS SE?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxDAVIDxX

Reaction score
Im thinking about buying this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-tim-mahoney-electric-guitar/h74458000001000 but I dont know much about the SE line of PRS's. I know that they are PRS's entry level guitars so that makes me skeptical.

My first PRS was a Custom 24 10 top which is great but I don't like taking it to all the clubs I play. Bought one SE and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Plays well and sounds good. Stock pickups aren't bad but I really like my JB/Jazz combo. I bought a second one in Korina wood and again, plays and sounds good while being very lightweight. For gigging or just to have a guitar laying around the house for convenience I think it's a great buy. The USA models are certainly nicer and at first I felt a little odd with an SE but I find no problems owning them now. Even considered a 3rd one.

The one in that ad looks pretty sweet. Might be a Student Edition but nothing to sneer at. I don't have any experience with the SE tremolo equipped guitars though and would have to check it out before getting one. Trem on my C24 is great but I'm sure the SE is not as nice.

The first thing I'd do is put a JB/Jazz set in it. I'm wondering if the SE is to PRS like LTD is to ESP? And what about the necks on prs's? The discription say thin and flat. Is that like the Ibanez Wizard profile? Not a huge fan of the Wizard necks.

I am not a fan of most Ibanez necks I've played like the Wizard. The SEs I have are wide thick which really feels more like a normal neck which is very subjective. My CU24 has a wide thin and is still comfortable to me. I've never played their thin flat before. Find out what the radius is and compare it to what you like. Personally I prefer 10-12" radius. Flat doesn't appeal to me but I'm not the shredder type either.

I had a SE Custom 22 trem which I upgraded with a Seymour set, locking tuners and a graphite nut. It was a really sweet guitar. Stock pups are marginal. No match for my McCarty Korina though (3x the price)

Well I just went to my local shop and while didn't have the model that I posted a link to, they did have a few SE models. They had a 2010 and a 2011. The '10 had a chunkier neck than the newer one did but they both played fantastic! Very impressed with the SE. Very easy guitar to play. The sales rep said the 2011 SE line has a new neck profile and I did like it a lot more than the older version. If anyone else has anything to say about the SE, I'd love to here it.

Over at prsforums.com there is a section just for the SE models which seems to have a fair amount of activity. Lots of good info. If I remember correctly you have to request membership before you can even view it but I may be thinking of another site.

Great value for the money. Check out the new Marsden SE. The new santana's with the birds are also excellent.

MJ Slaughter said:
Over at prsforums.com there is a section just for the SE models which seems to have a fair amount of activity. Lots of good info. If I remember correctly you have to request membership before you can even view it but I may be thinking of another site.

Thanks bro! I just joined the PRS forum thanks to you! Lots of good info on that forum.

I have two SE line Toreros. Great guitars. Play and sound awesome, and they are put together extremely well. I have toured with them both for over a year now, and they haven't given me any problems whatsoever, even in drastic climate changes (-14 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit).

-AJH

I had a Soapbar II a few years ago. It was a really nice guitar. The neck was wide/fat, the pickups sounded good, it had decent electronics and hardware. The wrap bridge intonated really well though the strings were not individually adjustable. I love wrap bridges. The make a guitar very responsive to string bending.

MesaENGR412 said:
I have two SE line Toreros. Great guitars. Play and sound awesome, and they are put together extremely well. I have toured with them both for over a year now, and they haven't given me any problems whatsoever, even in drastic climate changes (-14 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit).

-AJH

Wow, this does sound awesome.

http://www.guitarworld.com/prs-se-torero

my buddie's got one.
he uses it to gig with.

it's a nice axe, but you could get twice the bang for the buck, and have a MUCH higher quality instrument,
by finding a used Carvin

a DC200, DC400, SC90, TLB60, DC135.....
any of those are far superior.

gonzo said:
my buddie's got one.
he uses it to gig with.

it's a nice axe, but you could get twice the bang for the buck, and have a MUCH higher quality instrument,
by finding a used Carvin

a DC200, DC400, SC90, TLB60, DC135.....
any of those are far superior.

I'm not big on buying used guitars though. I did however buy a SE and I love it. I can't stop playing it. I did put a set of Duncan JB/Jazz, CTS pots, Tusq nut and locking Schallers. Not that I needed it, I do that to just about every guitar I buy. Unless it has Duncan's or the other items in it already.

Hi David, I am a mod on the PRS forum and look forward to seeing you there!

To keep it short and simple, that guitar would be just fine. I can vouch for the SE line personally. And great choice in artists. Tim rocks!

I have four PRS guitars. Three of them are SE's.
Great guitars. :wink:

Back