The most beautiful guitars.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful guitar currenlty being made? Now, I'm not talking about some Gibson Les Paul Standard you picked up for 1500 bucks. I'm talking about guitars in the vein of Mcnaught and Artinger. Brilliant hand made guitars from master craftsmen. I just had a look around the Artinger website and I'm awstuck, I have never seen such beautifull instruments. I can almost hear the purity of each note just from the woods he uses. Seems to be a distant cousin of a steinway grand...
If only I had the money...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7319488953&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

11'20'04%20013.jpg

11'20'04%20030.jpg

dc_3.JPG

You might want to do some research on "D'Angelico", "D'Aquisto", present day guys like "Benedetto", "Buscarino", and "Monteleone".

Monteleone archtops start around $50,000.

http://www.monteleone.net/index2.html

Artingers are extremely cool. As are the ones built by custom luthiers like Joe Driskill, Scott Heatley, Ron Thorn, etc. However, my preference is PRS.

I'm absolutely blown away by the "Tradition". If I was in the market for a LP style guitar, I'd definitely call him. BTW, he's a great guy to deal with!

I sometimes look at those outrageously fancy instruments and think to myself, "I could never play that, it deserves to be in a display case, like a work of art".

Hell, I've gone so far as to start selling off my figured wood topped guitars.

I never had the opportunity to play a Conklin guitar, but they sure look great. Does anyone have any experience with them?

My ideal guitar is a neck-through 7-string with Anderson pickups. My Carvin DC-727 basically fits that description, but it's not exactly not drool-worthy, like a custom hand-made guitar with super exotic hardwoods.

Here is an 8-string Conklin. I'm guessing the wood is figured walnut, but they don't really say what it is:
priceguitar4.jpg

I had a chance to meet Matt recently at the Philly guitar show. He's an incredibly nice guy, and his guitars - they look just that much better up close!

Welcome to the Boogie Board, Dersu!

Those are some nice guitars. But for some reason, they remind me of Godin's. I take it one or more of these beauties belong to you?

They do resemble certain Godin models slightly, come to think of it.
But this guy nailed the shape to perfection in my humble opinion. It's rather subjective.

I played all 3 of them and I own the middle one. Also the other one posted in another thread (Steve's Special pickup thread).

Anyway, I think everyone will pretty soon hear about this guy since he's getting rave reviews from industry peers and artists.

Beautiful guitar! That's an interesting pickup combination on that one. What combinations can you get with the electronics?

redmax61 said:
Beautiful guitar! That's an interesting pickup combination on that one. What combinations can you get with the electronics?

Thanx. The idea is pretty much to have humbuckers and single coils on the same instrument. Humbuckers would mimic LP type of feeling and single coils the Strat. Mind you they are all encased in a single spaced enclosure. So there's actually 5 pickups (if you look carefully) on that guitar. Pickups are siwtched in a regular fashion: 5-way (or 3-way of you prefer) switch for 'Strat' and 3-way toggle for LP. That mini switch you can see is for blending the 2 sets. Switch up and only LP set plays, down and 'Strat' set plays, and middle (neutral) and both sets play!
This was an early prototype so there's no balance pot, you have to install pickups with similar impedance and output level. Balance pot is installed on newer models (you may note the actual Balance pot on the bottom guitar named Delta Wing). Suffice to say, the prototype was shown couple of years ago at the NAMM show to Paul Smith and whaddya know, he ripped it off introducing PRS 513, which is still light years behind this setup. Options are limitless pretty much, especially with the introduction of balance pot, phase shifting, coil selection, stereo output etc...
Imagine how much fun this is, when you wire these 2 sets separately ('stereo') and run them through separate amps, perhaps with a harmonizer on one of the channels. People literally think 2 guys are playing, unison or harmonizing, on 2 quite different guitars :shock:

It has to be said, for purist's sake, you won't really get 100% Strat sound on a mahogany/mapletop body (in this example). By the same token you could ask for ash or alder body (typical Strat wood) but then no 100% LP sound. The former combo actually achieves this tonal duality better.

I'm still experimenting with the pickups (that is, the luthier is). Right now, the 'Strats' are DiMarzio Virtual Vintage and the LPs are Duncan mini-59s if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, and the newer models have 'air-vents' on request which gives a new meaning to the term 'sustain'. Might as well go grab a beer, pick mail and when you come back it'll still be resonating (it 'breaths').

Of course, playing is believing...

Back