Cool Transcribing and Tab Software

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found some cool software a few months ago that I wished was around when I was a kid. One free and one not but worth the price.

Free software for viewing Power Tab and Guitar Pro tabs: TuxGuitar http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/
and
Not free but worth the price if you want to figure things out by ear or practice looped parts at a slower tempo but on pitch: Transcribe! http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html It costs US $39 but worth the price in my opinion.

I've had a long layoff from playing and these two programs have really helped me to get some chops back, especially Transcribe!.

That's pretty cool ...

... don't mean to rain on your party, if you have Linux, there's a few software that could do that.

The recording software Audicty (I think its available in PC). You could slowdown parts, cut, snip, etc ...

I don't know the Linux tab app but another member from another forum was mentioning this tab app for Linux that he claims that works well.

... and its ALL FREE!

I don't have Linux and I don't think I want to make a switch from my current OS, but from what I hear it's a nice OS.

I'm very familiar with Audacity, I use it for journalism sound editing. But Transcribe! is easier and quicker to use. In Audacity you have to have to go through a few menus to do the what you can do in Transcribe! with a single click. For example, slowing a part down in Audacity is can be complex. In Audacity once the part is slowed down you have to take time to and use math or trial and error to find the correct pitch. Like I said, with Transcribe! you just push one button. I love Audacity but it's just not as user friendly as Transcribe! when it comes to figuring things out by ear. Also, with Transcribe! you can make a selection and it'll give you a good estimation of the note or chord in that section. I'm not saying everyone should buy it, but for me it's helped me a lot with my playing and ear.

I like free, Audacity is awesome, but sometimes paying a little $$ makes things easier.

I see your point. If you install Linux with no issue. Then great. But if you have issues. then you have to configure your hardware. And without knowing Unix, then you have to learn a few things ... Linux are for those ambitious computer whiz who likes to have control of their OS.

Me, I'm a cheapskate.

My Audacity transcribing to another key is quite easy. You just select how much step you want to go up or down. As for slowing down, on the menu is tempo which allow you to speed up or slow down the track keeping the same pitch.

I'm sure your apps Transcribe! does things more elegantly but I'm a cheapskate and like apps FREE!

The Tuxguitar is also available in Linux.

Window 7's Media Player does have a tempo selection so you could slow down the music with the same pitch. But I think it only has three slow down mode. You can't find tune it.

I wish I had time and the ambition to be a computer whiz. I'm sure there is a lot out the to be had for those who take the time to find it.

Maybe I should check to see if I my current Audacity needs an upgrade. It's not as easy for me as you say it is for you, or I've been doing things wrong. It's been a few years since I checked for updates. :)

I used to use Amazing Slow Downer ($39) which worked adequately. I was fine with it. But I notice that the fidelity was not as good when changing speed. low fidelity. And it save the sound clip as a .wav. Wav format eats space compare to MP3s.

As far as computer whiz, I think its more having the facilities (many computers to play with). 'Cause when I was a computer science student (early 90s), I could not afford time to disable and work on my computer with assignments due. Especially at the time computers were expensive, bottom of the line desktop $1500!

But accumulate a few computers since then always playing around with them whether its upgrading them or swapping parts. But yes, I had to read up on a lot stuff.

Nice talking with you.

Latest posts

Back