Rasmus by Suhr Guthrie Govan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on one of these and am expecting it to arrive within the next week. I've been gassing hard for a suhr guthrie for a long time because of it's exreme versatility and playability but alas, I'm not rich and have two little boys to think of so the $3600 price tag was just not feasible for me. Along comes the Rasmus version of this guitar at $1399. It is a stripped down import version manufactured in China according to Suhr and Govan's specs with no fancy top, blower switch, or tremol-no; and instead of Sperzel locking tuners it has Ping locking tuners.. It is based on the Suhr modern like the 3 other Govan signature guitars and has the same gotoh 510 bridge and Suhr pickups as the american made versions. It is all mahogany with a 24 fret indonesian rosewood fretboard and finished in a clear satin gloss with the same modern elliptical Guthrie neck carve and same 16" radius. The woods are hand selected at the suhr plant in California and then sent to their plant in China where the guitars are built by a set of luthiers that were trained by Suhr master builders. When the guitars arrive back at the Suhr factory they are taken apart for an all points quality control check by Suhr master builders and then the frets are leveled on a plek machine. I've read nothing but stellar reviews of these so far. Every comment I've found by anyone who has played one has been extremely favorable. One user posted "Seriously- these are really fucking nice"- another " I played it unplugged and was knocked out by how resonant it was" I realize I'm taking a chance on it but I'm confident in the quality control standards at Suhr. I'm planning on putting a tremol-no in it after it arrives as it only costs $60. I've grown accustomed to using one in my strat and don't want to give up the ability to detune on the fly or play double stop bends that stay in tune. Wish me luck. I'll keep you guys posted.

Alright, so the guitar showed up today and it is awesome. The action fit and finish are excellent. It is super light and well balanced. The guitar just rings when played unplugged and is capable of so many different sounds when plugged in. The tone of this guitar has a very woody vibe to it. The satin finish feels like there is no finish at all - just smoothly sanded wood. This guitar stays in tune so well! It was perfectly in tune when it came out of the box and stayed that way as I put it through some dive bomb tests . I'm thoroughly impressed.

I played it for a couple of days and noticed that it there was no corrosion of any sort on the strings and that they seemed a little tighter and harder to bend. Then I remembered that Suhr ships all its guitars with the exception of the American made Guthries with elixers. I understand they do this so the strings stay like new for a long time while the guitar is on display for sale but coated strings are a real tone suck and had I remembered this I would have changed them immediately. I put a set of d'addarios on it and the guitar just bloomed sonically. These guitars sound great and play like butter. Many people are hesitant to try these because $1399 seems expensive for a chinese made guitar but I have to say it doesn't matter where this guitar is built it is well worth the money. The hardware and pickups are top notch and the build quality and fretwork are superb. This guitar puts many of the USA made guitars I have owned by Gibson and Fender to shame. I also can't belive how well it stays in tune; the gotoh 510 trem is awesome.

Installed tremol-no today. I love this device- its great to have a trem that you can play double stop bends on that stay in tune and change tunings with out a hassle.

Back