7-strings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
Lately I've been interested in 7-string geetars... I know there's a whole forum dedicated to them but I still want to ask for some opinions from folks here...

What is your experience with these? Which ones are considered the (generally) good ones (brands etc.)? Must have in any guitarist's arsenal or no?
I can't even think of buying one but maybe I'll borrow one, I want to know it's worth the hassle before I go hunting and bugging people.

I prefer thinner necked 7 string guitars like Ibanez, and Ernie Ball (JP7). Schecters and ESP's tend to have thicker necks on their 7's. Schecter 7's especially. They feel like holding a baseball bat to me. The thinnest 7 neck I have ever played on was a Ball Family Reserve JP7. Unbelievable. Expensive, but just plain awesome. I have also played an Agile 7, and for the money, those are pretty nice guitars as well. Just depends on what you like as far as playability and body/neck shape. I prefer super Strat S-style shapes over anything else (like Viper, EC, or V 7's) mainly because of their comfort, even with the added body size and neck girth. Ibanez Prestige or Universe guitars are quite sick, and ESP does have a new line of Horizon 7's in the LTD and ESP line that look really nice. And then there is the Gibson Explorer 7 string. Only odd shaped 7 that I would DEFINITELY buy if I were in the market haha. Good luck man.

-AJH

Thanks for the info on neck shapes. I definitely like a fat neck for rhythm playing (which is 80% of what I do).

Seems I can't find anyone who would be able to lend me one for a while, even for 3 days... oh well, it'll have to wait. My 2:90 needs new tubes anyway :mrgreen:

I am also a big fan of the Ibanez 7 necks. I have 3, a J Custom, a Universe and an RG. They are quite thin. The Universe neck is noticeably thicker, so may be worth your consideration. I hardly play my 6 any more.

A really good 7 for the money is the Ibanez RG7620. It was a top of the line guitar in the late 90s, and you can get them for a very reasonable price. I got mine for less than $400 on eBay. I recommend changing the pickups, but other than that they are fantastic.

I went through the whole 7-string GAS phase last year. I ended up buying a used ibanez rg7420 since i could not find a 7-string to borrow or try out at any of the local stores.

I bought it in december, tried to bond with it for a few months, but i just couldn't get used to it and ended up selling it.

I'm thankful that I went that route instead of giving into GAS and buying a new Carvin 727 because then it would have hurt the wallet a LOT more.

This is what I did with my RG7620. I had it painted by Herc Fede, added a Universe neck, and Blaze Pups.

I love it, can't put it down. It goes especially well with my Electradyne.

SwirlinCase.jpg

In the realm of 7-string guitars Ibanez is definitely hard to beat. And yes, if you don't want to have a guitar with a neck that feels like a baseball bat, stay away fron Schecters.

Ibanez or EB JP7 would be my fav's. I tried one of those EB JP7 purple guitars at GC and the necks are ridiculously comfortable. If only it didnt have a floating trem....

Friend of mine bought an Ibanez S7420 and he came over to my house so we could blast it through the Boogie and my Marshall.

It's a cool thing for sure, I liked the neck and playability, the PUs were a bit muddy, well a lot muddy (never had Presence on 3 o'clock on my 2:90 before), that can be replaced though.
But I don't think I can justify one. Sure I'd be able to play all the Behemoth I'd ever want but I always put "do I need it with the band" as a reason to buy gear, so I think I'll let this 7 string GAS thing fade.

BTW, anyone have experience with the LTD HEX-7 Nergal signature? The thing that bothers me with 7-strings is that they're usually a superstrat shape and they all look too similar to me. The HEX-7 is the only 7-string I know of.

Jackie said:
BTW, anyone have experience with the LTD HEX-7 Nergal signature? The thing that bothers me with 7-strings is that they're usually a superstrat shape and they all look too similar to me. The HEX-7 is the only 7-string I know of.
Yes, I have played it a couple of times; one of my buddies has one and it's a nice guitar. The neck is comfortable, not as much as an Ibanez, but good. The guitar is very light, though, it feels weird; and the mate finish rubs off quickly.

Latest posts

Back