The Gibson Truck

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
So the Gibson guitar truck rolled into my neighbood this weekend at a local music store. They had a couple of employees there to answer questions and guitars to try out. Most were VOS/custom shop models. They ranged from $6,000 and up. What surprised me is that most were all wieght relieved. I have 2 from 1981 that are like bricks, but these new ones are much lighter. However, they really don't sound like Les Pauls. I actually perfer my old ones to these newer ones, weight and all. I also tried an SG.

They felt fine, but in the end that sound is no longer there. At least IMHO.

Still the truck was cool and the reps were friendly and took the time out to answer all questions. Very knowledgeable guys.

FYI Custom Shop stuff is completely solidbody as to where the Gibson USA stuf is either chambered or weight relieved. :mrgreen:

Gibson USA stuff is obviously more dense of wood if they still weigh in at the 9lb mark with the 9 weight relief holes. Weight is all a matter of preference and not all custom shop guitars are light. My R8 has to be at least 9lbs (guessing...never had the opportunity to weigh it. The lightest solidbody reissue I've ever heard of was a hair over 8lbs.

They also told me that they are now using a lighter weight mahogany,not sure what that is exactly. Must be b/c of the rules these days with cutting trees down in rainforests.

However, they are much lighter than they were 30+ years ago. I'll tell you that.

swbo101 said:
They also told me that they are now using a lighter weight mahogany,not sure what that is exactly. Must be b/c of the rules these days with cutting trees down in rainforests.

However, they are much lighter than they were 30+ years ago. I'll tell you that.
Probably less dense, which probably means less tone/sustain. People sometimes knock the Norlin period (-1970 through 1985), but I'd take a Norlin over the new stuff anyday.

Typically the less dense wood that comes from the top of the tree goes to the Custom Shop while the more dense wood from the bottom of the tree goes to Gibson USA.

The less dense wood is typically more desirable due to it being more resonant. The less dense wood from the bottom of the tree is typically less desirable due to it being duller sounding.

I say typically because there's no guaranty that a piece of wood will sound great just because it's light, plus there's some people that swear by the tone of a 13lb boat anchor.

The name "Gibson" costs too much money!!! I've been big on Godin (canadian) guitars lately because you get such great instruments for the money. The neck feel of these instruments is particularly good.

The trick with Gibson (Or any guitar) is to get the right instrument. They aren't all created equally and one in ten or even one in one hundred will sound far better, no matter if it says Studio, Special, Standard, VOS, or Custom Shop on the headstock!

YellowJacket said:
They aren't all created equally and one in ten or even one in one hundred will sound far better, no matter if it says Studio, Special, Standard, VOS, or Custom Shop on the headstock!

Hell yes Sir!
I have played a lot of Squier stuff and I always thought "man I would NEVER buy a Squier..."
Fast forward about a year and viola, there's a Squier Classic Vibe Tele on my wall. I just fell in love with it instantly! Didn't give a rat's *** if it was a Squier!

I don't know what an old Gibson sounds and feels like but I do agree that they have been slipping in terms of Quality Control. The "right" ones still sound great though :mrgreen:

Jackie said:
I don't know what an old Gibson sounds and feels like but I do agree that they have been slipping in terms of Quality Control. The "right" ones still sound great though :mrgreen:

I have an old Les Paul (1969) and IMO the new ones are generally better. I think their quality control is probably at or near the highest it's ever been.

IMO, a lot of the bitching that goes on is due to shops that don't setup and maintain their stock... followed closely by people who think that an $800 Faded or $1300 Studio should have the same build quality as a $4000 Custom Shop.

screamingdaisy said:
IMO, a lot of the bitching that goes on is due to shops that don't setup and maintain their stock... followed closely by people who think that an $800 Faded or $1300 Studio should have the same build quality as a $4000 Custom Shop.

Gibsons have been getting more expensive.....Obviously.....they won't go down in price. I think that they are overpriced. Great instruments for sure, but I cannot afford those prices. I haven't paid over $500 for a guitar for awhile, and while you can tell the difference between a Gibson and a anything else, the others usually don't lack too much to be disappointed.

The Gibson quality issue seems to have helped the custom shop market. Now, like right now, the quality seems on the up. I bought my first new LP in 15 years about 3 months ago. One of the premium plus with the AAA flamed maple top in Fireburst. Gotta get on photo bucket and post it. The coil taps, out of phase and direct out pull knobs are cool. It is a well built guitar that looks great.

On quality? I bought a used epiphany LP to toss in my car to take to my monthly guitar lesson after work. Turns out to be a pretty good little beater. Funny thing is instructor said it was amazing for a $250 guitar with the SKB road case included.

Back