Thinkin about new pickups on my...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude212

Reaction score
Well im running my 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio through a dual recto and im thinkin about redoing the pickups with a nice pair of EMG 85/81s or 60/81s. I'm just not that sure if its worth the $$$ right now and if it is a decent upgrade from the Gibson stock 490 and 498Ts. Can someone give me some advice?

EDIT: The 81s in the bridge, of course

Whether it's worth it or not is a decision only you can make.

Other than that, I usually suggest the 85/81 combo for lead players and the 60/81 for rhythm players.

The neck 85 gives a really fat lead tone that's great for sustain, harmonics, slurs and legato type stuff. I found it way to fat on the bottom end to get a really useful clean out of.

The 60 has alot of midrange and not too much bass, which'll help your rhythm cut without getting muddy. It's not as sustaining as the 85, though I don't know many rhythm players who worry about sustain that much. It also has a much better clean tone than the 85.

My son and I each have 1976 LP customs. I have the original pups, he has the ZW set (81-85). The difference is the ZW hit harder and faster than mine, but both handle high gain similarly. My neck pup sustains a little longer than the 85, but his 81 is more articulate than my bridge pup.
I think you'll like the ZW set, but it is alot of money. To be sure, try AB'ing
your guitar with a ZW model. See what it's like...
ax. :evil:

I think my pups are more like an 81/81 combo, my neck pup is a little more cutting than the 85.
ax. :twisted:

FWIW: I don't use active PU's (only to keep my tone constant while switching guitars during a show), mainly LP's and PRS's....

But.... to improve output on one of my guitars for a dropped tuning, I swapped in a 500T in the bridge ( a whopping 14K output!!!)

It is hot and tight!. I love it.

Lance

Back