The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:22 pm 
Mark III

The PRS/Mesa combo has become a classic. Just a great vibe to the pair. I wouldn't trade my Cu24/Mark V combo for anything else!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:28 pm 
Mark III

I'm sure Randall was influenced by Santana when developing the early Marks.

Personally, I've never heard a guitar that doesn't sound great through a Mesa. 8) Although very thin, bright sounding guitars don't match well with Marshalls for example.

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:16 pm 
Mark III

screamingdaisy wrote:
Out of curiosity... anyone know what kind of amp Paul himself used?

(You know... prior to him making his own amps)

Amps by Doug Sewell after he stopped using Mesa's. He even went as far as to hire Doug Sewell to design and build all of the PRS amps they currently manufacture.

As for PRS+Mesa. It's just like Mesa+Gibson. Or any Humbucker + Mesa. Both guitar and amp kickass. My Only PRS is a Cu22 that I have strung with 12-60 and tuned a half step down (or Drop C# depending on the gig) and it just sounds huge through my DC3.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 am 
Road King

MkIII Renegade wrote:
I'm sure Randall was influenced by Santana when developing the early Marks.

Absolutely. However, back then Carlos was playing Yamaha guitars, and picked up the PRS later on. PRS as a company wasn't big until 85 or so. By then the C+ was starting to come into production.

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 am 
Donating Member

Vogelsong wrote:
screamingdaisy wrote:
Out of curiosity... anyone know what kind of amp Paul himself used?

(You know... prior to him making his own amps)

My Pap met him back in the 50's. He went to see him at a show and then got to meet him back stage. My Pap was a great musician himself and wanted to pick his brain. He told me then he was playing through Epiphone amps. At the time my Pap had the same amp.

Just the keep the record straight, Paul was born in 1956; it's doubtful he was playing before he was 4.

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:57 am 
Bottle Rocket

Nothing like a Tremonti through a Dual Rectifier :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:25 pm 
Bottle Rocket

There is major mojo between PRS and Mesa Boogie for sure!

I got my Custom 24 back in 1995 and played it through a Fender Bassman 70...traded the bassman for a 2x12 USA Blues Deville. The PRS sounded ok through both. I then played the PRS through a band mates Mark III and knew I had to get on board. Bought a V-Twin Pedal on a whim and ran it in front of the Deville. Loved that combo and ran it for about 5 years. Then got a deal on a DC-5A and use it to this day.

Of all my guitars the PRS > DC5 has the most mojo, but all my humbucker guitars sound stellar through it. I just picked up a Fender Baja Tele that does NOT bond with the DC5 very well but me thinks I need to dedicate some extra tweak time and I'm sure it will come around :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:34 pm 
Mark I

I think it is more a case of people with the willingness to be flexible in their opinions. The guitar world is full of stubbornness and ritual choices. Many can not be convinced that any other than a "Les Paul through an old Marshall" (insert any combination of Fender/Gibson/Vox etc)can possibly be the answer.
These people will never acknowledge any Mesa or PRS, individually or in combination.
I would guess that the majority of the frequenters of this forum would agree that a PRS/Mesa is a winning combination.

I can think of other forums that would hammer anyone for supporting either brand, let alone a combination of both.

My "truth" is that there are many brands of desirable guitar and amps. The only question I ask myself is will today's choice do what I need it to. The answer for my Mark iii and PRSs is always yes. I can't say the same for my 335 and a Plexi 100 however much I like the combination.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 pm 
Road King

yelly wrote:
I think it is more a case of people with the willingness to be flexible in their opinions. The guitar world is full of stubbornness and ritual choices. Many can not be convinced that any other than a "Les Paul through an old Marshall" (insert any combination of Fender/Gibson/Vox etc)can possibly be the answer.
These people will never acknowledge any Mesa or PRS, individually or in combination.
I would guess that the majority of the frequenters of this forum would agree that a PRS/Mesa is a winning combination.

I can think of other forums that would hammer anyone for supporting either brand, let alone a combination of both.

My "truth" is that there are many brands of desirable guitar and amps. The only question I ask myself is will today's choice do what I need it to. The answer for my Mark iii and PRSs is always yes. I can't say the same for my 335 and a Plexi 100 however much I like the combination.

Big +1 to this...Recently started jamming with a co-worker that had never heard a Mesa or PRS, let alone together. He was putting a pedal into a Marshall and getting his sound from the pedal. He can't believe the sounds that come out of the Rectifier.

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm 
Donating Member

FYI, PRSh has been known to play several amps personally, but one of his most modded amps is a Soldano. It's revoiced into a Plexi meets JCM800 with some serious guts. I've played that amp and its impressive for its age and considering Paul wasn't really an electrical engineer. He has since had Doug Sewell build his "Paul's Amp" , which is more of a Marshall/Dumble/Tweed thing. But their latest Archon line definitely takes a page from the Book of Boogie.

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:51 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I play in a 9 pc horn band that does everything from Big Band to Classic Rock and everything in between. The PRS/Boog combination is always a winner. What's interesting is that the PRS will get you past the Les Paul skeptics. Our band leader doesn't like LP's at all, but is totally ok with the PRS Custom 22. I know they aren't the same (I have LP's) but IMO they are in the same basic camp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:58 am 
Mark I

I think both PRS and Mesa are companies that go the extra mile to make sure they produce superb quality products, and the tones compliment each other nicely. Just like a Fender through a Fender or a Gibson through a Marshall. They just work.

Fender Telecaster Plus
Ibanez GRG7221
Gibson LPJ
Epiphone Les Paul

Mesa Tremoverb
Peavey 6505
EVH 5150 III
Laney Ironheart
Carvin X100B
Marshall 1960B
Marshall 1960A
Randall R412CXM
Orange PPC412C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:15 am 
Donating Member

screamingdaisy wrote:
PRS + Mesa... why do they work so well together?

I'm not a PRS dude and I've never actually played a PRS through a Mesa... just wondering what people's opinions are on the subject?

I just read this and snickered. :lol: That certainly changed, didn't it?

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am 
Bottle Rocket

My Rosewood McCarty sounded great with my Nomad