The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carvin Guitars
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm 
Dual Recto

I would have to say that DC200K is awsome. The one I found is from the mid 90's. I would have prefered high gloss finish but the tung oil is okay. Lemon oil every now and then brings out the flames in the wood. I would like to get another Carvin with a locking tremlo, but Kahler is not available anymore. They are back in production. I am just not a big Floyd Rose fan.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm 
Mark III

bandit2013 wrote:
I am just not a big Floyd Rose fan.

Carvin offers Wilkinson tremolos on many of the guitars. It's not double locking, but with sperzel locking tuners at the headstock, they do a very good job when it comes to tuning stability, and they have a softer feel that is more like a Kahler than the feel of a Floyd tremolo. You might want to give it a try unless your whole technique is built around 80s style dive bombing.

MusicPlayers.com: The (free) online magazine for serious musicians
http://www.musicplayers.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 pm 
Donating Member

I love my CT6M.
ImageImage

I do agree that the pickups are not for everyone though. I much prefer Bill Lawrence p'ups, which is what is in there now.

It's a beautiful guitar with excellent fit & finish, but for some reason the guitar feels "short" when I play it. The neck feels like it is closer to the body than I'm used to, especially when it's hanging on a strap.

I guess it is probably due to me playing nothing but a Les Paul for 25+ years prior, and not a fault of the guitar.

Carvin makes a fine guitar at a great price.

Dom

'01 Recto 4X12 V30/Swamp Thang
'04 Recto 4X12 V30/Delta Pro 12A
'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm 
Mark III

That's interesting. A typical Les Paul scale length is 24 3/4". The CT6m has a 25" scale length. Technically the neck should feel longer to you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
Donating Member

From nut to bridge is fine, it's just that it feels like the neck is too close to the body lengthwise. Maybe it's just the way it hangs over my shoulder? I feel like the nut is closer and I don't need to extend my arm as far to reach it. After 5 min or so I get used to it, but for me it's a noticable difference until I adjust.

Dom

'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm 
Dual Recto

scottkahn wrote:
bandit2013 wrote:
I am just not a big Floyd Rose fan.

Carvin offers Wilkinson tremolos on many of the guitars. It's not double locking, but with sperzel locking tuners at the headstock, they do a very good job when it comes to tuning stability, and they have a softer feel that is more like a Kahler than the feel of a Floyd tremolo. You might want to give it a try unless your whole technique is built around 80s style dive bombing.

I have almost played for 30 some years. For most of that time all my guitars had Kahlers except for the Les Paul. I got used to resting my hand on the bridge for palm muting. The Floyd would drift out of tune doing the same thing. I had a Cort 2000 (bought at a low price) with locking Floyd Rose. That was a very nice guitar but just could not live with the Floyd. What I disliked the mose was the locking nut. A Kahler lock + standard graphite nut on the neck and Floyd Rose may be something to consider. I have considered a Wilkinson. If I buy used, that would be fine. If I order new, it will be the tone-o-matic bridge set up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm 
Dual Recto

domct203 wrote:
From nut to bridge is fine, it's just that it feels like the neck is too close to the body lengthwise. Maybe it's just the way it hangs over my shoulder? I feel like the nut is closer and I don't need to extend my arm as far to reach it. After 5 min or so I get used to it, but for me it's a noticable difference until I adjust.

Dom

It took me a while to get used to a 24 fret, 25" scale. Before I went to Carvin, I had an 84 Custom LP and a Charvel.
The closest I have now that reminds me of the LP is the DC100. Short body and long neck.

I have been considering either a CT624 or the SC624. Too bad you have to buy it to try it (unless you live local to there store in CA).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 am 
Mark III

bandit2013 wrote:
I got used to resting my hand on the bridge for palm muting.

Something you might want to try... the Wilkinson tremolo... but then for under $100 install (or have installed) a Hipshot Tremsetter in the back of the guitar. It creates a VERY fixed return-to-zero position for floating trems and works great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:39 pm 
Single Recto

bandit2013 wrote:
I would have to say that DC200K is awsome. The one I found is from the mid 90's. I would have prefered high gloss finish but the tung oil is okay. Lemon oil every now and then brings out the flames in the wood. I would like to get another Carvin with a locking tremlo, but Kahler is not available anymore. They are back in production. I am just not a big Floyd Rose fan.

yes, they are.

go here:

http://www.wammiworld.com/

https://www.kahlerusa.com/

BatsBrew
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/batsbrew
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 pm 
Dual Recto

I have been there already. Purchased an upgrade for my DC200 (moved from 2300 to 7300). It is slightly different but now I can lock the trem in place with a set screw. I installed the 2300 within weeks of bringing home my first carvin guitar. It was completely tung oil finish which cleaned up nicely after installing the bridge (the original was the flat tune-o-matic similar to Fender). I still have many Kahler parts from the old guitars I used to have. I have also bought cheep guitars just for the bridge (if they were the 2300 model, although the flyer model did have some reusable parts).

I finally filled out the registration for the new DC400W and requested they offer the kahler again if at all possible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
Single Recto

domct203 wrote:
It's a beautiful guitar with excellent fit & finish, but for some reason the guitar feels "short" when I play it. The neck feels like it is closer to the body than I'm used to, especially when it's hanging on a strap.

I guess it is probably due to me playing nothing but a Les Paul for 25+ years prior, and not a fault of the guitar.

That big upper horn will move the guitar into a different position than a Les Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am 
Donating Member

Don wrote:
domct203 wrote:

That big upper horn will move the guitar into a different position than a Les Paul.

I think that's it exactly!

Dom

'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 am 
Dual Recto

I just recently bought another Carvin DC400W (Claro Walnut) on Ebay. This one is a bit different than the one I bought direct from Carvin. Same build quality, Plays just as well as the new one. The previous owner replaced the Carvin pups with Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates", as well as changed the graphite nut to a carved bone. When comparing apples to apples, the Carvin S22B and S22J pups I have on the new DC400W were by far, a better pup than the SD's. So I swapped the SD with Carvin M22V and M22SD that originally came with my DC400W. That made a big difference. The Carvin's are balanced across the strings, the SD pups were a bit weak on the outter strings regarless of pup hieght. I also had to replace the nut since it was not carved properly. I found a brass nut, shaped it up slightly for fit and proper angle, that cured the tuning issue I had. (I could not reshape the channels for the strings any further on the bone nut but I was able to improve it, appearance of it made the guitar look cheesy and it sounded the same until I replaced it.)

I guess I better request permission to post pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 pm 
Dual Recto

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/bandit2013/media/rig_zpsa83683dd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Having 5 Carvins may say something about the brand.

Left most is the DC400a, the one next to it on the taller stand is the DC400ClaroWalnut, next one in line is the dc200Koa, the far right is the other DC400W, and hidden in the background in front of the V is the dc100.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:37 pm 
Mark III

bandit2013 wrote:
I just recently bought another Carvin DC400W (Claro Walnut) on Ebay. This one is a bit different than the one I bought direct from Carvin. Same build quality, Plays just as well as the new one. The previous owner replaced the Carvin pups with Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates", as well as changed the graphite nut to a carved bone. When comparing apples to apples, the Carvin S22B and S22J pups I have on the new DC400W were by far, a better pup than the SD's. So I swapped the SD with Carvin M22V and M22SD that originally came with my DC400W. That made a big difference. The Carvin's are balanced across the strings, the SD pups were a bit weak on the outter strings regarless of pup hieght. I also had to replace the nut since it was not carved properly. I found a brass nut, shaped it up slightly for fit and proper angle, that cured the tuning issue I had. (I could not reshape the channels for the strings any further on the bone nut but I was able to improve it, appearance of it made the guitar look cheesy and it sounded the same until I replaced it.)

I guess I better request permission to post pictures.

I bought my DC127 Koa new in about '93 with the M22SD at the bridge and M22V at the neck. I loved the SD, but couldn't get a warm lead tone out of the V to save my life. So I swapped to a Duncan Distortion (B) and '59 (N) and it was a big improvement, although a pain, since it required minor routing of the wood! Neck-thru guitars actually have less low end response than an otherwise similar bolt-on or especially set neck guitar, so it still isn't as easy as I'd like to get the ideal neck lead sound while still having a good sound for the bridge. The best solution I have found is using the pull Bass Shift on my MkIII. It was originally designed to make single coils sound fat, although the neck-thru Carvin has extreme clarity and sounds great with it pulled! My other guitars sound too flubby with it pulled, so it always takes adjustments when switching guitars. Still, it has some of my favorite tones when I have it nicely dialed in with the MkIII. :D

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next