PRS "factory"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
scuze me while i vent here. as someone who spends way too much time on ebay, i regularly see something that drives me nuts. people selling their prs guitars that are pre-1994, and referring to them as "pre-factory non-cnc". get your facts straight people. prs did move around that time, but make no mistake- they were still VERY MUCH a factory before the move. i bought a brand new Custom 24 in 1992, and it came with a VHS tape of paul giving an overview of the guitars and amps and also showed some footage of the guitars being made. take a wild guess as to how they were being made... that's right, with a CNC machine that paul referred to as the "dupli-carver". so, good people of the boogie board- spread the word. can i get an amen?

I hear ya!

And so what if they're cut on a CNC? Makes a more accurate and consistent guitar! My Sterling JP50 is cut using the same co-ordinates as the EBMM JP! The wood isnt as pretty but I'll be darned if it's not the most comfortable guitar I've ever played for $1000 less!!!

lerxst88 said:
I hear ya!

And so what if they're cut on a CNC? Makes a more accurate and consistent guitar! My Sterling JP50 is cut using the same co-ordinates as the EBMM JP! The wood isnt as pretty but I'll be darned if it's not the most comfortable guitar I've ever played for $1000 less!!!

wasn't knocking the fact that they're CNC, but rather, peoples' perception

In general, I'd take the consistency of a machine over the hands of a vulnerable human any day. But yeah, I doubt he had a bunch of people in there like oompa-loompa's handmaking guitars around the clock.

I just lump these in with "rare", "collectible", "sought-after", etc. I swear half the ads I read should start "Once upon a time..." :wink:

People will use whatever language they can to make a buck. I guess educating the buyers is the best you can hope for.

My personal favorite is when some random mint sells a $1 coin in "limited quantities" for $5 each.

There are slight differences in the carve with the CNC's versus "Dupli-carver".
Other differences on the earlier models include a brazilian rosewood fretboard, shorter heel joint, electronics, hardware, logo, etc ...

I own an '86 Custom 24 and I consider it a piece of PRS history.
I also own newer models and the craftsmanship is every bit as good.
To each his own.

Since we're venting about superfluous grievances I suppose it wouldn't be off topic to ask why you can't capitalize the first word in your sentences. Is it apathy or is it some pop culture thing?

messville said:
I prefer a cnc guitar anyday, humans do make mistakes and when it comes to musical instruments I dont want any mistakes !

Instruments are not "perfect" and guitars are no exception.
If it makes you feel better to buy a cnc guitar, god bless you.
Just remember ... humans engineer, design, build, operate, and program machines.

The best you can hope for is excellent and consistant quality control.
And PRS has the best QC, period.

Back