Anyone had their guitar PLEK'd?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've played a late-model Gibson (or any other mfr that has automated their production), you've played a guitar that was Plek'd. It's just an automated way to level frets more quickly. It is arguably more consistent, but if all necks are not exactly the same, then plek will work well for some and not as well for others.

If you can't find a skilled tech who can do good fret work, then plek is probably a good alternative. If you want something really specific in your fret profile, it's probably too difficult to set up a machine to do it for you.

I wouldn't pay extra $$ for it.

I have a '54 oxblood VOS Les Paul that came plekked. It plays nice but the whole plek thing didn't knock my out of my chair like it was hyped to do.

As I understood the process, the plek machine takes into account the existing fret profiles (pre-processes the fret heights and shapes) before it does any work. And then applies the user/operator spec'd profile to the frets.

It sounds impressive in theory, but in reality I don't think the results are that stunning.

I have a custom built Tele from a well known mfg'er of custom parts (who shall go nameless because from a customer service standpoint they completely suck and I don't want to help them by mentioning their name) whose neck is every bit as joyful to play as the LP and it has never seen a plek machine.

I just had my USA BC Rich Mockingbird done

The operator inputs info like scale length, number of frets, number of strings. Then the machine goes and measures the fret high, radius on the frets and the fretboard, string spacing, exc... With the strings on and tuned to pitch. Then the strings are removed, and the machine re-measures everything. It does that so it can compensate for the removed neck relief. After all the measuring, the machine presents the data to the operator who then decides how much he wants the machine to remove from the frets. The machine then cuts the frets following the radius and locations it measured.

I work as a CNC programmer and operator, daily I'm working with +/- .001 inch's tolerances. The Plek machine's are VERY impressive IMO. After having my BCR Plek'd I measured the frets out of curiosity. My Brown & Sharp indicator said that all the frets are within just a little less than a 1/1000th (A hair on your head's about 3/1000th). I don't care who it is, a human IS NOT going to get the frets that level.

The reason that the Gibson's aren't as impressive, is that they are using templates, and not running the measuring program on the guitars. That will lead to imperfections, that compromise the fret work.

My understanding was Plek is not supposed to replace a high-quality setup by a qualified tech. It's designed to replicate that setup. Once the tech gets yer axe dead-nuts perfect for you - you get it Plek-measured. Then you can have that setup replicated on any Plek, anywhere in the world.

nor said:
My understanding was Plek is not supposed to replace a high-quality setup by a qualified tech. It's designed to replicate that setup. Once the tech gets yer axe dead-nuts perfect for you - you get it Plek-measured. Then you can have that setup replicated on any Plek, anywhere in the world.

The Plek dosen't do any of the setup work (intonation, action, trussrod adjustments, exc...) . It just levels the frets and cuts the nut

My Heritage was PLEK'D, and it was pretty good. I can see the benefit, but it also takes something away from guys like me that can set up your guitars.

I will tell you guys and gals this much about plekking - I am amazed at plekking. The Gibson I bought yesterday obviously was plekked and the action is incredible. I could never get the frets that level and perfect. If you've ever seen Alexi Laiho play, he has a super light touch, that's how it feels playing a plekked guitar. It makes playing effortless when the action is so low. The problem for me now is my MIM strat is in need of a good plekking but that would cost more than I paid for the guitar! Hopefully I can work a deal with a plekker and get a volume discount on a bunch of guitars.

Back