are you serious?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Come on! You remember the South Park episode, Guitar Queer-o?

...and when Cartmen says that 'real guitars are for old people!'

lol

You are looking at the future of the guitar. :lol:

TimeSignature said:
You are looking at the future of the guitar. :lol:

Oh man I hope not.

Although it does feel good to say "Nah I have never played the game, I am usually busy
shredding on the real thing.....Sorry."

I actually think those controllers are pretty cool! It makes me very sad to think about those poor kids who spend 3 hours a day for a couple years playing this pretend guitar to get to the expert level when they could probably play Satriani stuff with the same effort. And no matter how good they get at the game, they have nothing if there's not a TV handy. With a real guitar, you can play in the woods.

I will share a funny story.

A few weeks ago I was watching Sunday football at a friends house. It was a beer-a-thon type of deal. About 18 people. While waiting for the 9:00 game, we retreated to the basement. I put in a ZZ top cd and my buddy flipped on his EVH half stack, doing a good job at drunken riffing. I put in a Boston CD and did the same... although I had one too many, it was still really fun.
A friend said "let me try, I've been practicing". (I knew he meant I have been playing guitar hero video games.) So I gave him my les paul custom.
Upon sholdering it he said " what is this pos made of lead? What the F#@K." My hand was out streached with a pick in it. He said " I don't need a F##KIN pick"
He did his best rock star stance, raised his pick hand in the air, and did his best Pete Townshend pick swing. No noise was made. I pointed out the volume control.
Second try was feedback like you have not heard since you first picked up a guitar. He made a strange picking motion with his thumb and pushed the third fret with all of his fingers and stared at the guitar in dis-belief. He didn't get any that night.

gplex said:
I will share a funny story.

A few weeks ago I was watching Sunday football at a friends house. It was a beer-a-thon type of deal. About 18 people. While waiting for the 9:00 game, we retreated to the basement. I put in a ZZ top cd and my buddy flipped on his EVH half stack, doing a good job at drunken riffing. I put in a Boston CD and did the same... although I had one too many, it was still really fun.
A friend said "let me try, I've been practicing". (I knew he meant I have been playing guitar hero video games.) So I gave him my les paul custom.
Upon sholdering it he said " what is this pos made of lead? What the F#@K." My hand was out streached with a pick in it. He said " I don't need a F##KIN pick"
He did his best rock star stance, raised his pick hand in the air, and did his best Pete Townshend pick swing. No noise was made. I pointed out the volume control.
Second try was feedback like you have not heard since you first picked up a guitar. He made a strange picking motion with his thumb and pushed the third fret with all of his fingers and stared at the guitar in dis-belief. He didn't get any that night.

LOL :mrgreen:

i have a buddy at work who loves the new beatles gaytar hero but for me its CRAPOLA !

if you wanna play a guitar buy a REAL one

gaytar hero and all its copies are one big scam

i laugh at the suckers who buy that garbage :mrgreen:

elvis said:
It makes me very sad to think about those poor kids who spend 3 hours a day for a couple years playing this pretend guitar to get to the expert level when they could probably play Satriani stuff with the same effort.
:lol:

Guitar Hero is actually pretty fun. Take it for what it is... A game.

But yes, imagine if some of these kids actually put as much effort into playing a REAL instrument as they did GH. Wow!

Have any of you seen Rush on The Colbert Report trying to play one of their own songs on Rock Band and FAILING?

why are guitarists so insecure? its just a computer game, a shitty one.
i dont think im a race car driver because i play gran turismo..

I don't think Guitar Hero or Rock Band aren't terrible things. I've heard that Rock Band on Expert level for drums is kind of like playing the drums. Even though it's not teaching guitarists how to form a chord or do a scale I think it can be used to work on rhythm for younger students. It's getting them to used to using both hands. Yeah it's not the same as fretting a string and picking but if put in the right context I think it can be good. It's definitely teaching kids about old rock songs that they might not normally know.

It's mildly fun though. I got tired with Guitar Hero pretty quick.

Now these controllers are way to expensive for what they are.

+1 on the South Park episode too! lol

MesallicA said:
why are guitarists so insecure? its just a computer game, a sh!t one.

i think some guitarists get a little sore on the subject because it sort of cheapens the amount of hard work and dedication that it takes to become an accomplished player. it's a skill that most of us have spent countless hours and most of our lives learning, but that can be emulated with flashy lights and cheap plastic controllers.

I'm not bothered by the games. I think they're kinda stupid -- i mean c'mon, it's just a glorified stimulus/response game that monkeys have been playing in labs for decades. Of course a lot of video games could be described that way...

It's not insecurity - I seriously worry about the kids. Sure it's just a game. I own Rock Band, and actually got it to get one of my kids started on drums, and my other kid singing. They're too busy running around outside to play video games. Ah well :)

I just have way too much experience teaching kids who might otherwise spend time learning guitar, but waste their time on a stupid game. I don't blame the game companies - I wish I was making that money. It's just unfortunate that this game has exactly what it takes to lure kids into very unproductive behavior; it's quite quick and easy to play along in the beginning, it's competitive, and it makes them feel important.

I have not met one kid who played Guitar Hero who did not wish they could do as well on a real guitar. But still they play the game instead. Caveat emptor...

Again, not blaming the game. And there's no way to make a kid practice when they don't want to. It's just sad. If there were a way to hook a real guitar into a game like that, it would probably spawn a horde of 11-year-old Steve Vais. Maybe next year...

elvis said:
I just have way too much experience teaching kids who might otherwise spend time learning guitar, but waste their time on a stupid game. I don't blame the game companies - I wish I was making that money. It's just unfortunate that this game has exactly what it takes to lure kids into very unproductive behavior; it's quite quick and easy to play along in the beginning, it's competitive, and it makes them feel important.

I have not met one kid who played Guitar Hero who did not wish they could do as well on a real guitar.

You do make a good point. A lot of kids who are into that game want to be a guitarist but maybe they play the game because it's as close as they can get. Guitar isn't easy to learn and play and for the most part a person can pick up Guitar Hero and be good at it with a little practice. We all know guitar is not like that at all. When I used to teach lessons I found that a lot of students got very frustrated when they couldn't play very well right at first. One student would blame it on his guitar and say mine was better. I was playing an Epiphone G-400. :lol: I told him that it wasn't the guitar at all because mine wasn't that nice. It was the fact that I spent hours practicing and if he wanted to sound good he would have to practice a lot. He eventually stopped taking lessons. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a master at Guitar Hero now! :lol:

For all those who have not seen Guitar Queer-o it is a must.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155857/?searchterm=Guitar+Queer-o

MF said:
MesallicA said:
why are guitarists so insecure? its just a computer game, a sh!t one.

i think some guitarists get a little sore on the subject because it sort of cheapens the amount of hard work and dedication that it takes to become an accomplished player. it's a skill that most of us have spent countless hours and most of our lives learning, but that can be emulated with flashy lights and cheap plastic controllers.

I'm not bothered by the games. I think they're kinda stupid -- i mean c'mon, it's just a glorified stimulus/response game that monkeys have been playing in labs for decades. Of course a lot of video games could be described that way...
It doesnt cheapen it in the slightest, guitar and music is a personal thing, something you do to feel good. A computer game cant take that away.
A person would have to have some real insecurities to be intimidated by a computer game controller shaped as a guitar with 5 buttons.

elvis said:
It's not insecurity - I seriously worry about the kids. Sure it's just a game. I own Rock Band, and actually got it to get one of my kids started on drums, and my other kid singing. They're too busy running around outside to play video games. Ah well :)

I have not met one kid who played Guitar Hero who did not wish they could do as well on a real guitar. But still they play the game instead. Caveat emptor...

Again, not blaming the game. And there's no way to make a kid practice when they don't want to. It's just sad. If there were a way to hook a real guitar into a game like that, it would probably spawn a horde of 11-year-old Steve Vais. Maybe next year...
whats the difference between kids wasting time on Guitar Hero or on Halo?

Boils down to instant gratification. Everyone wants to be a rock star but nobody can take the time to sit down and learn the chords. Kinda alien to me as all my friends seem to play an instrument of some form. So I'm used to jamming with the real thing when a couple buddies come over. I've played the game before and after playing a Mark IV, the little plastic controller and cheesy tone did very little for me.

Latest posts

Back