Ibanez

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
I own a LP custom and a strat. I'd like to buy an Ibanez RG, like my old RG770 which I traded in on the strat. Wizard neck, trem not necessary. What do you suggest? I gotta keep the price low, so am looking at the rg350dx,370dx and 321mh, under $400... The 321 is mahogany, which peaked my enthusiasm, but the 370 is much like my old one. This is goin to be a basher of sorts, just a lean, aggressive guitar. Or, should I hold out sor a used 570 or 770 with some frets left?
ax. :twisted:

i cannot stress how much i would rather have a used RG5xx or above. if ur looking for mahogany then look for an RG520. the new stuff have inferior trems (due to the non locking trem studs) and the RG3xx series doesnt use a wizard neck. trying to compare an RG3xx to ur RG770 would not be a good idea, as the 770 would kill it in an instant. :wink:
<ibanez freak

I figured... I will look into the RG520, as well as the 570 and 770. What's your opinion on the mahogany vs. basswood?
Thanks very much for the reply.

i like both... mine is basswood and i love the tone. the only mahogany RG ive ever tried was an RG3120 with a dimarzio tone zone in it... it was fuckin wicked! but some people say a tone zone in mahogany is a bit muddy. but if ur not downtuning more than a step or so then i think it will sound killer. real beefy tone vs more of a bite in basswood.

Dylan... can you check out this RG for me, and see if you can find out what it is, and if it's a good deal?
ebay item# 7313037493
I like the color, and appears to be a 570, but not sure. Kinda gassin for it,ya know? :wink:
I've actually been thinking about selling my 1996 strat in immaculate shape, to fund the Ibanez purchase. It's in Olympic white, rosewood board, mint guard with copper plate, put in "Fat '50's" Fender pups, and have a "JIMI" neckplate from the "JIMI" model guitar, plus case, and original pups(delta tone) and original neckplate, as well as original parchment plastics, and an unopened aged plastic kit.
I just don't think I need it anymore,but it plays great, and the frets are excellent...My son has a strat, so I can use his when I want. I'm into a more rocous tone, and rely mainly on my LP. But really want an RG again, maybe reliving my early years..... :lol:
Let me know what you think of this RG on ebay, please...

this looks like a 2000 570 alright. its at a pretty good price at 310 when i looked. i would say dont really try to go over 350 on it but considering it is a rare color thats where the rest of the value is up to you... if you REALLY want this color then it could be worth spending 400 for since you dont see this color around alot. but if you dont care about color that much there will be more deals.

lost that green apple 570, oh well... The guy paid over $450...
I'm now looking at a 520QS, dark blue. Pretty nice and real clean, it's a 2001. Hard case, and no dings or scratches, great frets. I like the mahogany body, but it does have an edge FR, not the lo pro. But I can change that out later I assume. Thats what I had in my 770 so I'm used to it... I may lose it to a sniper again, but will keep on ebay for another.
item # 7313548006. This is about my limit, as I think my strat sale will cover the RG plus shipping, to pay my credit card bill. :roll:
It sure is nice to know that people in these forums have your back..
Thanks for all the help, really.
ax.

Just won an auction for an Ibanez 520QS, with OHSC. Frets are like new, and was hardly played... Really a sweet ax!
Item #7313548006
Dylan, thanks for telling me to pass on the green apple 570. This is a far better deal at not much more $$ :wink:
I'll start a new thread after I get her and fire it through my Mark III.
Question on the 520 though....
My 770 had an active SD distortion Trembucker in it, and a single in the middle (s1) and a V1 in the neck. This has the V7 and V8 with a 5 way switch. Are positions 2 & 4 split coils for the neck and bridge pups for single coil operation? and position 3 is then neck and bridge humbucker together? May be a stupid question, but haven't been in the pointy guitar game in quite some time....
Thanks....
ax.
PS. Just can't wait to shred on that Wizard neck!!! :D

glad i could help you out. either way the edge trem and lo pro edge trem are equally awesome.(no need to swap, unless pref.) and if u get new pickups the thing will just scream! :twisted:

That would be the switching on a 570 with H/S/H pups. This 520QS has 2 humbuckers and a 5 way.... So I though it would be : 1) bridge hum, 2) bridge split, 3) bridge and neck hum, 4) neck split, 5) neck hum.
not sure though, is this right?

if the world was a logical place, then yes, youd be correct.
according to other ibanez guitars with HH and 5way, they are wired like
this: 1) brg hum 2)inner coils of both PU's 3) both humbuckers
4) neck coils parallel 5) neck series (humbucking)
this is a cool way to wire, but i like modding it out and making it this:
1)brg hum 2) inners 3) both hums 4) outers 5) neck hum
its tough to do and you need a new switch, but its worth it!

Not what I expected, but probably a great tone meister way of doing it.
Hmmmm, I kinda like your way of modding it though. I'll have to check it out for myself, and see if your mod is something I wanna do. Thanks a bunch for clarifying..

youll need a new fender 24 pole switch to do it, and im not sure
it will fit in an ibanez (it was a HH strat i wired that way).
good luck tho

i have an american 750 in a dark blood red colour ,i say american because the plate on the back has the ben salem PA address on it .i guess it was assembled there . its a 90 i believe . a little beat up but sweet to play

My old 770 had the same plate, I think it was a '91. Sweet player! This 520 QS I have now is lighter and has a mahogany body. But the old 770 had the sharktooth inlays.( ME LIKES).. I missed that 770 soon after I sold it.

Latest posts

Back