First PRS for a Gibson guy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzRules

Reaction score
DSC00221-1.jpg

I have an SG Standard (korina wood) and a doublecut Les Paul Plus, along with a Strat, so I figured I "needed" something slightly different.

hey good lookin ;) (the guitar, not you!!!) lol, thats a cool guitar, PRSs are for me what a nice guitar should look like, as far as pure cosmetics go i think most of them are quite perfect looking. and as far as tone, well that depends on the model, and certain guitar, but the good one are well... perfect. :lol:

dylan7620 said:
hey good lookin ;) (the guitar, not you!!!) lol, thats a cool guitar, PRSs are for me what a nice guitar should look like, as far as pure cosmetics go i think most of them are quite perfect looking. and as far as tone, well that depends on the model, and certain guitar, but the good one are well... perfect. :lol:

BTW, have you seen RobertStringer.com 's inventory of PRS????? Hundreds of excellent pictures of guitars he has in stock. Very impressive, and kind of scary to think where all these nice guitars are going.

I had my choice of 12 different Custom 24s in natural finish. Ed Roman didn't have any (not the I'd buy from him)!

I'm more of a Gibson guy myself...but I do have 2 PRS guitars that I really love.

Cosmetically speaking, I think the naked PRS' look best. I really regret not buying 2 in particular...a nekkid McSoapy and a nekkid Rosewood McCarty. They use such nicely figured maple!!!

I played some killer PRS, the Macarty, and singlecut, both had the root beer quilt, but the controls were backward from the Gibson and it pissed me off. They are FINE instruments though, and if I had the $$$$ I'd buy one for sure!
ax. :twisted:

Erik said:
I'm more of a Gibson guy myself...but I do have 2 PRS guitars that I really love.

Cosmetically speaking, I think the naked PRS' look best. I really regret not buying 2 in particular...a nekkid McSoapy and a nekkid Rosewood McCarty. They use such nicely figured maple!!!

I wouldn't mind a 2nd one, perhaps next time with the solid rosewood neck.

The Custom 24 "Wide-Thin" neck has a substantially smaller neck hell than the CU22s. The Santana models have gigantic heels (unlike the original from 1979) and short necks (24.5") for 24 frets. The "wide-thin" neck seems to be the most like the pre 1995s. Feels similar to a Les Paul with a 1960 neck profile.

It's good to hear that there are at least a few PRS fans here. Most of the forums I've cheked out have a lot of guys who are almost hostile to anyone who admits to being a PRS player. IMHO, what guitar a guy plays is a highly personal choice and does not open him to personal attack from anyone who doesn't care for a particular brand.

Having said that . . . I grew up playing Strats, but always searching for the ultimate Les Paul. I got really tired of trying to find Les Pauls and Strats that had the tone I was looking for. Meanwhile, I found 4 PRS guitars that really float my boat.

Gibson has been really torquing me off with what they're doing to smaller dealers lately. I'll never again buy anything with the Gibson name on it. However, that doesn't keep me from being tickled to death when a fellow guitarist finds a Les Paul that he loves.

Sorry, guys. I'm off my soapbox now.

redmax61 said:
It's good to hear that there are at least a few PRS fans here. Most of the forums I've cheked out have a lot of guys who are almost hostile to anyone who admits to being a PRS player. IMHO, what guitar a guy plays is a highly personal choice and does not open him to personal attack from anyone who doesn't care for a particular brand.

Having said that . . . I grew up playing Strats, but always searching for the ultimate Les Paul. I got really tired of trying to find Les Pauls and Strats that had the tone I was looking for. Meanwhile, I found 4 PRS guitars that really float my boat.

Gibson has been really torquing me off with what they're doing to smaller dealers lately. I'll never again buy anything with the Gibson name on it. However, that doesn't keep me from being tickled to death when a fellow guitarist finds a Les Paul that he loves.

Sorry, guys. I'm off my soapbox now.

"Hostile" towards PRS??? Most people I know said I should have bought one years ago. Too much Gibson brand loyalty I suppose.

4 PRSs? Here I was feeling guilty for "thinking" of buying a 2nd. Hard to justify though with an SG Standard (korina) and a doublecut Les Paul Plus.
That and several archtops.

New PRSs say "20th" on the truss rod cover. Certainly that's justification to buy several this year, right?

PRS and Boogie seem to go hand in hand, for some reason.

R8 Les Paul Reissues sell for about $3500, the R9 (why????) goes for $4500.

Of course those that might think those prices high should check the price of a new blonde L5 or Super400. Jazz guitars cost the most by far, yet jazz players are lucky to find work. So much for school and hard work.

Well, since I sold everything but my PRSi, I don't feel too bad either. None of mine are really spectacular, but they really sound fantastic to me. There is a 5th in the plan, but it'll be a while before it materializes.

Only the 20th Anniversary models have "20th" on the TRC. If you like the sound of an all mahogany guitar, the 20th Anniversary Standard is VERY reasonably priced, and the Anniversary Bird inlays are extremely cool!

redmax61 said:
Well, since I sold everything but my PRSi, I don't feel too bad either. None of mine are really spectacular, but they really sound fantastic to me. There is a 5th in the plan, but it'll be a while before it materializes.

Only the 20th Anniversary models have "20th" on the TRC. If you like the sound of an all mahogany guitar, the 20th Anniversary Standard is VERY reasonably priced, and the Anniversary Bird inlays are extremely cool!

Some might argue that guitars made by non-union robots shouldn't cost 2 grand. I really like the guitar though. The tuners are kind of cheap, my one complaint. The "vibrato" could be cheap too, I don't use it. The arm stays in the case, where it belongs.

I was "thinking" of getting a Custom 24 in the Vintage Natural (this time) with a rosewood neck, "wide-thin" of course. I don't like huge neck heels.

The Santana model's heel should scare alot of people away. His original from 1979 has a small neck heel. Weird guitar, 24 frets and a short 24.5" neck.

JazzRules said:
Some might argue that guitars made by non-union robots shouldn't cost 2 grand. I really like the guitar though. The tuners are kind of cheap, my one complaint. The "vibrato" could be cheap too, I don't use it. The arm stays in the case, where it belongs.

I was "thinking" of getting a Custom 24 in the Vintage Natural (this time) with a rosewood neck, "wide-thin" of course. I don't like huge neck heels.

The Santana model's heel should scare alot of people away. His original from 1979 has a small neck heel. Weird guitar, 24 frets and a short 24.5" neck.

Hey JazzRules, Thanks for the reply. I disagree on one or two points, though.

Anyone who has doubts about the way a PRS is made really should take a tour of the factory. The only parts of the factory that are automated are the routing and part of the buffing. Everything else is done by very skilled craftsman. It was quite an eye opening experience for me.

As far as the neck heel, they made it larger to make the neck more stable and to remove a dead spot that was present in some of the earlier models. To me, it's not really that big of a deal. I was always more comfortable with the heel on my PRS than the one on my Les Paul.

My CE22 has its trem blocked. I've never even installed the arm. I have a Singlecut Trem on the way. I plan to use the trem on that one.

redmax61 said:
JazzRules said:

Hey JazzRules, Thanks for the reply. I disagree on one or two points, though.

Anyone who has doubts about the way a PRS is made really should take a tour of the factory. The only parts of the factory that are automated are the routing and part of the buffing. Everything else is done by very skilled craftsman. It was quite an eye opening experience for me.

As far as the neck heel, they made it larger to make the neck more stable and to remove a dead spot that was present in some of the earlier models. To me, it's not really that big of a deal. I was always more comfortable with the heel on my PRS than the one on my Les Paul.

My CE22 has its trem blocked. I've never even installed the arm. I have a Singlecut Trem on the way. I plan to use the trem on that one.

Well that settles it. I'll buy another "20th Anniversary" Custom 24 when the tax check arrives. That and a Fuchs conversion for an old Fender sitting in the closet.

My 2 cents:

I have played my Les Pauls forever, and I love them (as mentioned above, personal choice).... but over the couple of years, I've become more and more of a PRS guy (no, I didn't sell any LP's!!!)

Now, I play them both pretty religiously...

Tonally, I can get what I like out of the two, and when recording, there's nothing like doubling tracks with the two... What a combination!!

lookslikemeband said:
My 2 cents:

I have played my Les Pauls forever, and I love them (as mentioned above, personal choice).... but over the couple of years, I've become more and more of a PRS guy (no, I didn't sell any LP's!!!)

Now, I play them both pretty religiously...

Tonally, I can get what I like out of the two, and when recording, there's nothing like doubling tracks with the two... What a combination!!

I've got an SG Standard in korina I could never part with. Also have a DC Les Paul Plus.

Love the overtones of the PRS and that wonderfully wide-thin neck. Sounds great thru a Mark IIC+.

I have a Les Paul DC standard,PRS CE-24 1993,and an 1979 strat.........I use all of 'em..........lol......all are great guitars......

GuitarCarr said:
I have a Les Paul DC standard,PRS CE-24 1993,and an 1979 strat.........I use all of 'em..........lol......all are great guitars......

I have a DC Les Paul Standard "Plus". Don't think they called it a "Plus" model in the first year (1998). Mine has an amber flametop that looks quite similar to a PRS Santana. I prefer my SG over it and rarely play the LP.

Just to offer a different point of view, and in a effort to share knowledge.....

Check out this link about PRS.

http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/PRS_options.htm

Not saying I agree or disagree with the stuff this guy writes (as I doubt I will ever buy a PRS but not for the reasons contained in link) but as a consumer I like to knwo the postivies and negatives before I buy something.

Enjoy.

Actually, ER is completely full of it. He used to be a PRS dealer, but he got canned when PRS found out that he was fabricating parts and calling them PRS parts.

Don't believe a word this guy says.

Latest posts

Back