Are good cables REALLY worth the extra dosh?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzumaVega

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I was wondering what peoples opinions on guitar cables were, and if people swear by a particular brand/type?

If I'm honest I usually go for cheapest when I'm in a guitar shop, or maybe just above the cheapest...
Does it make a significantly large amount of difference to the sound?

Would be really interested to hear your thoughts...

Dan.

I did a direct A/B comparison of my Peavey cables with Monster cables and I noticed nothing. The only cables the make an audible difference to my ears are speaker cables. A good quality speaker cable will have more punch and clarity than a generic speaker cable.

I've never found a cable that "added" to the sound, but I have certainly found cables that detracted from it. I usually just buy well made cables that won't get easily broken if stepped on ect.... I am not so worried about sound

I too do not see (or rather hear) the benefit of using better (read: more expensive) cables. I've been completely happy with my 10' Horizon cables I bought for like $12.99/cable...

MusicManJP6 said:
I too do not see (or rather hear) the benefit of using better (read: more expensive) cables. I've been completely happy with my 10' Horizon cables I bought for like $12.99/cable...

Exactamundo!

I could hear a difference between my cheap cable and a Monster Jazz cable when I bought it years ago.

I went way overkill on speaker cables years ago when I played through rack gear. Dual 12 gauge Van Den Hul. So overkill for only 3-5 feet lengths.

I noticed a difference when I switched from no names and Fender cables to George L's. More clarity and less loss of high end. I use the thinner ones for my pedal board and the standard ones for instrument cables.

I always get CBI Cables. Great sound AND awesome prices. USA made to boot... IMO good quality cables don't have to cost extra, you just gotta know where to look :)

Cables do make a difference, but...

There are great cheap cables and crappy expensive cables!

Some players like "crappy" cables to take the edge of and give them a fatter sound. Other players like the higher fidelity sound of "good" cables.

I prefer good, inexpensive cables.

Peavey's PV series cables are what I use for instrument and speaker cables. my 6" patch cables are Excel gold tipped cables.

I really like Planet Waves Cables. They are made seemingly very well and they produce a good sound. I have had Monster Cables in the past, and the 21' "Rock" cable that I bough clicks when you move around and aren't playing. It's quite annoying. I am currently in the process of changing everything over to Planet Waves cables. My other guitarist did and he really likes the sound that he is getting, and they seem to take abuse well on stage.

-AJH

Guitar cables... I use the mid level ones that are built solid to last... not for sound. Some I've had for years... but for my rack, it's an entirely different story. By accident when installing new rack gear, I switched a cheapo patch cable connecting my Triaxis to my 2:90 with a Monster patch cable. To my amazement, a bothersome hiss which I always thought was inherent with this pre amp disappeared. I switched back to the cheapo to confirm. Good cables do make a significant difference in rack equipment which generates a ton of RF...

buy cables expensive enough to get a lifetime warranty. there probably is a difference at 15+ ft but i dont see it being noticable outside of an ab comarison.

I notice a difference between cables. I've found that I really like the Monster Rock cables. I've tried many other cables (Gotham Audio, Mogami, cheaper Monster, etc.) and I always pick the Monster Rock cables. There is something about how it "feels." Not physically, but how it transmitts and interacts with me while I'm playing. They seem to have an immediacy to them that I can't really describe, it's just something I feel.

I can hear some differenc b/w cables, some are a little brighter and some alter midrange. If you have a bright amp and a fairly bright guitar then a cable that is not super bright can solve the problem.

Long cables also sound different than a short cable.

I buy Planet Waves cables, not really expensive but they are not cheap, because they sound good and have a lifetime warranty.

Cable DO matter!!! I'm not saying that some $300 guitar cables might make you sound like God, but reasonably priced quality cables are a must (Monster, Mogami, Planet Waves). For pedalboard cables the George L's Kit is hard to beat; just try it, you'll surprise yourself with the results.

If you want to try some inexpensive but good cables, try these: http://www.armorgoldcables.com/

Also AC-power cables do improve your tone, if you're using tube amps. Here's the trick:

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

These are the best $10 you could spend to improve your tone, I'm serious.

I just look for a cable that will last long and doesn't cost a fortune.

I think complicating about tone changes with a different cable is pointless, there are so many other variables that affect your tone more than cables. I make my own cables and as far as the actual cable (wire) part goes, I have around three different cable brands and they all sound the same to me.

Here is a test. "Ring out" your cables with a mulitmeter. You will find for similar length cable, the resistance is similar across brands. This is the only factor that will "inhibit" sound, the resistance of the conductor.

Now, interference is another question. So long as the insulation is good (last time I checked, cross linked poly ethylene is....cross linked poly ethylene), and there is sufficient shielding attached to an appropriate gound, the amount of interference should be similar.

Bottom line, avoid the cheapest, Made in Kazhakstan cables on the market, but do not buy into the hype of adverstising.

-JUS-

ps. Planet Waves cables work great.

Back