The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 pm 
Mark II

I notice a difference between cables. I've found that I really like the Monster Rock cables. I've tried many other cables (Gotham Audio, Mogami, cheaper Monster, etc.) and I always pick the Monster Rock cables. There is something about how it "feels." Not physically, but how it transmitts and interacts with me while I'm playing. They seem to have an immediacy to them that I can't really describe, it's just something I feel.

• Mesa Mark IVa Combo
  • Mesa Mark IIB Combo, Simul, EQ, Verb
  • Mesa Mini-Recto
  • Mesa V-Twin
  • Mesa Traditional Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cab
  • Mesa Traditional Rectifier 4x12 Straight Cab
  • Mesa Mini-Recto 1x12 Slant Cab

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 am 
Single Recto

I can hear some differenc b/w cables, some are a little brighter and some alter midrange. If you have a bright amp and a fairly bright guitar then a cable that is not super bright can solve the problem.

Long cables also sound different than a short cable.

I buy Planet Waves cables, not really expensive but they are not cheap, because they sound good and have a lifetime warranty.

Diezel VH4
Koch Multitone 50
Matchless Lightning 15
Harry Joyce Custom 30
Zinky Blue Velvet 25
Fender Princeton Reverb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:44 pm 
Mark I

Cable DO matter!!! I'm not saying that some $300 guitar cables might make you sound like God, but reasonably priced quality cables are a must (Monster, Mogami, Planet Waves). For pedalboard cables the George L's Kit is hard to beat; just try it, you'll surprise yourself with the results.

If you want to try some inexpensive but good cables, try these: http://www.armorgoldcables.com/

Also AC-power cables do improve your tone, if you're using tube amps. Here's the trick:

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

These are the best $10 you could spend to improve your tone, I'm serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 am 
Mark IV

I just look for a cable that will last long and doesn't cost a fortune.

I think complicating about tone changes with a different cable is pointless, there are so many other variables that affect your tone more than cables. I make my own cables and as far as the actual cable (wire) part goes, I have around three different cable brands and they all sound the same to me.

AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm 
Mark II

Here is a test. "Ring out" your cables with a mulitmeter. You will find for similar length cable, the resistance is similar across brands. This is the only factor that will "inhibit" sound, the resistance of the conductor.

Now, interference is another question. So long as the insulation is good (last time I checked, cross linked poly ethylene is....cross linked poly ethylene), and there is sufficient shielding attached to an appropriate gound, the amount of interference should be similar.

Bottom line, avoid the cheapest, Made in Kazhakstan cables on the market, but do not buy into the hype of adverstising.

-JUS-

ps. Planet Waves cables work great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm 
Single Recto

R_ADKINS80 wrote:
I did a direct A/B comparison of my Peavey cables with Monster cables and I noticed nothing. The only cables the make an audible difference to my ears are speaker cables. A good quality speaker cable will have more punch and clarity than a generic speaker cable.

Lol! On the contrary, a speaker cable impacts little to close to nothing to the tone unlike good quality instrument and patch cables. There is a clear and audible difference between the tone of say a monster rock 500 instrument cable and a Mogami. The monsters are muddier or more dull sounding while the mogami allow more highs to pass through, so they sound chimier or clearer.

Lonestar v2 23" 1x12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 am 
Mark III

When I bought my first Tremoverb, the seller thru in a Mogami Gold Instrument Cable (W2524/Neutrik).

I compared this cable to every cable I had in my bag.

Hands down... NO comparison. I now use nothing but Mogami Gold for signal chain and make my own cables using Mogami W2319/Neutrik for switching FXLoops and Channels on the amps (Mesa foot switches that come with amps). I also use the W2319/Neutrik for my volume pedal that runs into the GMajor.

I am building a pedal board and will use nothing but Mogami for that too. I also ordered all Neutrik Gold locking jacks for signal and Switchcraft for switching. I ordered bulk W2524 and W2319 for signal and switching respectively.

I don't claim to be all knowing, but I do hear a difference.

Hope this helps.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:07 pm 
Single Recto

still using George L's cables.

still have awesome sound.

still laughing at people who spend $100+ for a 12' cable.

BatsBrew
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/batsbrew
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm 
Mark III

Deathf***ingmetal wrote:
Also AC-power cables do improve your tone, if you're using tube amps. Here's the trick:

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

These are the best $10 you could spend to improve your tone, I'm serious.

Eh. Crack open your amp. Look at the wire running from the IEC jack to the power switch. Understand that any current that's flowing through your AC cable is also flowing through that, and ask yourself why a thicker AC cable, or one of a different composition, would make any difference. Hell, if you have a newer, mass-produced amp, power may even be flowing through PCB traces.

BAND

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Mark III

I've been using Fender Golds (got them free with an amp purchase this summer) and there is a noticeable difference between the Fenders, and say a standard LiveWire cable. The Fender's pick up less noise (Plasma TV) than a standard LiveWire. And, on the 15 footers, there is less attenuation with the Fender cables. Of course, the Fender cables are much heavier than the LiveWire cables. But yes, a good cable does make a difference.

Now, all of that being said, I got the Fender cables free. But, now that I've used them, I would probably drop the extra dough on them if one had a problem, or I needed extras.

But, what pisses me off the most about the high end cables, the molded ends. Have to completely replace the plug to repair a damaged connection. Can't just spin back and re-solder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 pm 
Mark II

Suffering from mild tinnitus as I do, the differences between bad and good cables stands out to me even more. I have recently rewired all my patch cables for my 2:90/Triaxis/G-Major 2 with George Ls, and it has made (to me) a definite audible difference over the mishmash of cheap patch cables I had been using. My guitar is plugged in using an Evidence Audio Lyric HG. It makes a difference all on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:41 am 
Mark III

I did a search for the George Lynch cables.

I could not find any.

I found one that was "Scary" at $139.00, and a "Signature" for $79.00.

But really what about just regular George Lynch cables. I know I have seen them and they were not that expensive.

The "Scary" one is a signature O2, directional, whatever voodoo magic with snake oil sprinkled on, on the same page as Vai's where there is artwork etc.

I just want to find some George Lynch working man cables.

Please advise.

Assorted Tubes
Series FXLoop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm 
Single Recto

try this GL instead....

http://www.georgelsstore.com/

BatsBrew
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/batsbrew
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
Mark III

Someday I'll get somebody to give me a grant to do a blind study.

It would probably come out like the coke/pepsi studies.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:08 am 
Donating Member

I know there are better players on the this board than I will ever be! And they will tell you that they can't hear or feel a difference between great and average cables. These great players also have better musical ears than I'll ever have! I don't think they're full of crap, nor do I think they are cheap. On the contrary, I think maybe their choice in guitars, tubes, bias settings, string gauge, and ultimately, playing style, contributes toward their ideas about cables.

But hey, somebody mentioned a Pepsi challenge, which I think is a great idea. Why not buy a nice set of cables (instrument, speaker, & patch) and a cheap set of cables? Have a friend hook your rig up with one of the sets and keep your back to the rig and play it. Then have him change the cables out and do it again. See if you can tell the difference.

I believe high quality cables sound and feel better although I think they are less a piece in the tone puzzle than other things such as variacs, tubes, strings, guitars, speakers, amps, etc.

FYD Twin Reverb Preamp
various pedals & effects
Homemade tube power amp
1X12 Thiele w/ Celestion G12H30
YOUTUBE mesafanintexas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next