Your opinions on Strat choice please...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Star State

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new strat and it's down to the Classic 60's model at around $600, or a MIM standard at $350.

I love the neck on the 60's, along with the aged look, plus it's in stock.
The MIM Standard will be in stock in about a week but is $250 less.
My feeling is theat the 60's model would be more of a long term keeper, while the standard is a little generic feeling.

What do you guys think?

You may find the MIM to be every bit as good sounding and playable as the 60. (I've played Squiers that were better than American Strats!) YOU have to play them both, and let your ears and hands tell you which is better, not your checkbook or your pride.

But, I agree about the resale issue. The MIM will not appreciate, and if you end up adding upgrades to pickups or hardware you may be making up the difference in price anyway.

If you plan to reenact Jimi Plays Monterrey, buy the MIM!

Lone Star, I absolutely love my 60's reissue. It sounds a thousand times better than any MIM standard. The 60 reissue is all cut and then shipped to Mexico for assemble. At least that was the case back in 2000 when I bought mine. The 60's reissue is worth the money....

Which one plays better? And at that cost you can always replace the pickups with Fralin's or Seymour Duncan's. I have a MIM though with EMGs that I put in it - there was rebate from Fender at the time and I bought it brand new for $600 about 3 years ago. I bought it because it played awesome.

i agree... u must play all u can and then choose.... the best sounding telecaster ive played to date was a squier... fender products are hit and miss no matter where they come from

i have a '57 reissue that was cut in america and then shipped to mexico for assembly. i've fooled session players into thinking that it was american(the made in mexico is kind of hidden on the back of the headstock). its one of the best guitars i've ever played, and i own a few. i replaced the stock pickups with seymour duncans, but the natural acoustic tone is beyond anything i've ever played. just play quite a few and find one with that special piece of ash or whatever and youll be happy for half the price of an american. when it comes down it, its simply the quality of the wood and the pickups that really matter, rather then the nationality of the person that screwed the neck into onto th ebody. go for the reissue without a doubt. with a few upgrades, youll have a guitar that you'll quickly love!

I've played strats for years, and now primarily play a LP. I keep a strat more as a tool. I have played MIM strats that were light in weight, which I like in a strat, but it doesn't feel as good as an American.The MIM will definitely need all electronics replaced, as they generally sound bad.
My favorites so far are the SRV (love the neck, hate the pickguard) and the Jeff Beck (awesome neck, but heavey body). I have played the super strat? Gold hardware, reddish color, super switching, it was great for the money. ($550?)
With fenders, you really have to play 'em all, and see which one is right. They're all hit or miss. I have a friend with an early 90's USA standard, weighs in at about 6 - 7 lbs, and plays like a dream. Mine is a 1996, weighs around 9 lbs., plays great but doesn't howl like a lighter one.
Play 'em all.......
ax. :twisted:

At the risk of being redundant, I have to agree with many of the other posts. You have to play each guitar you are considering...even if it means playing every Strat in the store. I did that in the late 80's and was rewarded with a wonderful MIJ hardtail Strat that sounded better than any of the others...regardless of where made or what price. Repeated the technique in 91 and am still playing that (AmStandard) today. It all depends on how it feels to you and how it sounds to you.

I personally don't recommend buying a guitar without playing it first.

RB

Hey guys, new member here. I picked up a MIM Strat off a guy for $150.00 that plays great. The output is slightly less than my Les Paul but its great for that slightly dirty tone. What's the difference between the American and MIM strats? Is it just the assembly point or are there component differences?
BTW, I've gigged three times with my Rectoverb combo S2 and love it! Its the first tube amp I've owned so I'm kind of leary. Do I need to have tubes on-hand? Do they go without warning or will I get a little clue that they maybe going?
Thanks, this is a great site for info.

I believe there are component differences. The MIM and MIJ series' sometimes use cheaper capacitors and pots for sure, and I know the bridge assemblies are a bit cheaper made. Like I said before...the truth is in the TONE. Play everything before you buy, and play thru YOUR rig if possible. Also, play against a reference guitar...something you know and love the tone of. I know this is a lot of work, but the end result is more than worth it.

As for tubes, yes, they can go out without warning, especially after you have inadvertently damaged one by jarring your amp. (ask me how I know) Usually, though, you have some warning. The tone starts to slip, or the amp starts making buzzes, fizzes, and pops. You can usually tell pretty easily. If in doubt, replace one tube at a time, individually, with a KNOWN good tube, until you find the culprit. In my experience, it usually has been the preamp tubes, but I've had my share of power amp tubes go out. It can't hurt to keep spare tubes with you in case one goes out. Even if you just keep tubes that don't have many hours on them, for instance if you re-tube.

Welcome to the world of TUBE TONE.

RB

I have a '96 usa strat, olympic white, rosewood, fat 50's, "JIMI" neck plate, mint accessories with copper shield on guard, barely any fret wear, plus have all original parts, pups, plus an unopened aged accessory pack, and hardshell case. Wanna buy? Plays like a dream, sounds great, no issues, no dings, dents, scratches. I'll throw in a few sets of GHS nickel rockers 11-58, which are on there now along with 5 trem springs....
I'm looking for an RG, preferrably a 520 QS, so I need to fund with the strat sale. My son has a SB USA strat that I can use when I want, so this is now unnecessary.... Really a GREAT guitar, and would prefer to sell to a Boogie brother, than on flea-bay...
Let me know, a trade for the RG520QS would be OK as long as it's in as good shape as my strat, and has a hard case AND frets..........
Thanks.
ax. :twisted:

Red Barchetta, thanks for the reply. I have been considering re-doing the pups and shielding my strat, although it hasn't been too noisy. Would it be a good plan to have a 12ax7 and gl6 (1 ea.) on hand for emergencies? Thanks again.

As far as the tubes on hand...yes...I think you are on the right track. When I change tubes, I keep one or two as backups. Even though they are weaker than new, they can still get me out of a tight spot.

An additional note on the strat: I bought my Fralins Pre Wired on a pickguard from Acme Guitar works. (www.acmeguitarworks.com) They also shielded the pickguiard and wired in a "blender pot" that blends in your bridge pickup with your neck, or vice-versa. This gives you a Tele sound while keeping your Strat sounding like a Strat. These guys did excellent work, the pickup was a genuine Fender part, and had the aged look to match my 14 year old strat. Check 'em out.

RB

Latest posts

Back