How to get rid of crunching sound from the knob?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***wicked***

Reaction score
Hello guys. I have an gibson 1977 les paul custom. One of the volume knobs on the guitar which controls the bridge, makes crunching sound, more like a crackling sound during changing the volume. I use it rarely to add fading and rising kind of effects. Further more the sound completely goes away between specific gaps on the miserable knob. It have been driving me crazy lately. Do you guys know a way to get rid of this problem. Thanks a lot.

1) Spray it with some lubricating contact cleaner like De-Oxit.
2) If that doesn't work - you gotta replace the pot.

It's probably some corrosion or dirt in there. The easiest fix is twist it around a lot until the gunk gets dislodged and it stops crackling. you can also take it apart and try cleaning it with a rag or qtip

taking the pot apart won't work good luck getting it back together
but i think he ment the cavity.
just get a new pot they are cheap and if you scrach a little harder you can find some that are tapered so that as you turn up it will give you a gradual build up or almost instant build.
i had one in my seven string once that would only go between like 10 and 5 wich was cool for a while.. backing it all the way off would give me a kina strat/tele sound. but not being able to completely go to zero pissed me off.

Going through all the hassle of taking it apart to clean it, and put it back together, and still no guarantee it will work. Unless it's some special pot, that is hard to find a replacement for, to me it just seems easier to spend 5-10 bucks and replace it. Just my opinion.

First I`d try Contact cleaner
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=02016&S=Y

Give it a real shower, then turn it up and down, give it another shower and repeat. It took care of the scratchy pots I`ve encountered. If that doesn`t work, change it. You don`t have to disassemble anything to spray it either, just make sure you get the spray into the pot.

Latest posts

Back