Anyone try an EMG 85 or 707 in the bridge?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello, I've got the 7 string versions of the 81 and 85, and have the 81 in bridge and 707 (85) in the neck. Has anyone tried the 707 or 85 in the bridge? How was it? If you've played with an 81 in the bridge, what changes with the sound?

Thanks!

while not the 7 string version, i had an esp with an 81 in the neck which i later replaced with an 85. i never cared for the thin sound that the 81 gave, but the 85 did sound a lot fuller

My band has played with another band that had an EMG-85 in the bridge, and also if you listen to the band "As I Lay Dying" their new cd "An Ocean Between Us" both guitarists use 85's in the bridge. I really like their tone. I think the 85 takes some of the "edge" off the high end that the 81 tends to have, and replaces it with a little more midrange.

-AJH

I used an 85 in the bridge of my Silhouette for years. I liked it better than the 81 cause it gave a rounder, fuller sound. Wasn't as tight on the low-end as the 81 was and the high end might have been a little darker but the Triaxis is tight and full of mids and highs so it matched up nicely.

I also use the 7string versions of the 81 and 85
having the low b the 85 in the bridge was just too much especially
with the dual rect already being boomy enough. don't you cant get the 85 equiv any more.

When I had EMGs I liked an 85 better than the 81, but I just like the sound of a Alnico magnet better than ceramic

Latest posts

Back