Hey Ned - How about that EBMM???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
Just wondering how the EBMM Axis SS you have compares to the EBMM Axis. I guess I could search HC reviews for features and all, but I like to know how you like it. Have you ever played the Axis and if so, how do the two compare?

I used to have an Axis and traded it for my Strat with HSS pup config. I think it is a Texas Fat Strat or something. Pretty lame I can't remember the exact model name. Nice guitar and I love Strat neck tones for blues and funk, but for rock I am really missing my Axis.
Thinking about another one, but would like to explore other options while I get the finances in order. I think what I like most is the locking non-floating trem system cuz mine withstood major whammy dives w/out ever going out of tune. The unfinished neck always felt nice too. One drawback was the non contoured body. That got uncomfortable after a while. I am rambling....

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

I love my Axis SS and the only difference is the trem and a 3-way versus the SS's 5 way which gives you more pickup options. Played a couple of Axis's at NAMM and they feel just like the SS. If you want a locking trem go Axis.

You should also check out the new HP Special (Wolfgang replacement). I played the prototype at NAMM and it is a very nice guitar.

If you go to www.wolfgangregistry.com you can see the pics I took at NAMM of the EBMM booth and the Peavey booth.

Ned

Wooooooooow.
I love the look of those HP specials.

I hope their in my price range - If not , I'd sell my wolfie for one!

The Axis/Wolfgang was always one of my least-favorite guitar bodies, but I really like how Peavey has reshaped it in their new line of them.

The HP Specials won't be available until Q2. I interviewed the guitar product manager about the HPS and we went over the new guitar in detail.

Here's the interview:
http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/evh-guitar-info/hpspecial-interview.html

Whole new approach. It's basically custom shop so you get exactly what your want.

Ned

Thats the list price which I believe is $100 (US) less than the Wolfgang and at this time is not 100%. Street price should be about the same as a Wolfgang Standard.

Ned

ned said:
Thats the list price which I believe is $100 (US) less than the Wolfgang and at this time is not 100%. Street price should be about the same as a Wolfgang Standard.

Ned

What was the street price of the Wolfie Std?
I cant remember and none of the sites have them anymore to compare to

I think it was around $2200- 2300 but it's been a long time since I priced a new Wolfie.

I am seriously considering picking up an axis at the moment.

I had a MM luke for a couple of years and loved the build quality. I have played an Ibanez Saber, (1987 first production model), for a good 17 years and going to the luke exposed me to the next level in build quality, playability, sustain etc...

My question is: How does the Axis neck geometry compare to the Ibanez Neck geometry, scale, frets, etc...

The lukes neck was a bit smaller and the Frets were med's not the Jumbos that my ibanez has. This made the transition less than Ideal.

Living in hawaii has its disadvantages as there are currently no axis guitars available to play in my area.

Question #2: is it possible to have a custom axis made which has the floyd NOT stopped in the 'up' postition, ala the GEM and S series Ibanez floyds, or~ have a custom Luke fitted with Jumbo frets.

Thanks for any input.

The Axis neck will most likely be much different than the Ibanez as the Axis is assymetrical. Basically the radius is different across the width of the neck. They are extremely comfortable and I keep thinking about getting a Axis for Eb tuning and tune my Super Sport to standard E.

On the trem, the D-Tuna will not work on a fully floating trem so you would have to remove the D-Tuna. Otherwise it's just a basic adjustment to make the trem fully floating. I would think you could order a custom Axis this way.

Ned

Back