Show your Custom Guitars!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaNoobie

Reaction score
Recently, I have been thinking about making a custom guitar, carvin or warmoth most probably.

Show your pics and/or tips of any kind about making custom ones :)

If ordering a Carvin I would recommend calling and not using their website. Also, if you have a specific grain/burst pattern in mind e-mail it to your salesman. Ask for Kevin Wall. He seems to be the best of the bunch right now from what I've heard. I have a Pearl Blue (the old midnight blue color not the newer lighter one) DC127 from 1991 but I didn't order it custom.

About 4 years ago I built a USACG T-Style (Telecaster clone). It has a USACG swamp ash body and a fat, 1 piece, soft "V" maple neck with a 9.5" fretboard radius and 6105 frets.

I finished the body and neck in Minwax Wipe On Poly without using grain filler. It has a nice furniture type of finish. You can feel the grain which I love, but others might dislike.

I had Fralin wind me a set of traditional Tele style pickups.

The hardware is for a Fender American Vintage '52 Re-Issue.

I did all the work myself using all brand new parts.

It's wired like a nocaster (no tone controls) with slight modifications to make the bassy neck position more useable.

The guitar looks the way that I wanted it to, plays like a dream and sounds great through my cranked tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone and just as great through my ne Express 5:50.

Best of all it only cost about $800!

I'll try to post pics later.

I think you'd get similar results for even less money with a Carvin kit. In fact, that would be a good solution for me to get a humbucker, tremolo Strat type guitar to go with my new 5:50!

my USACG strat project

creammachinefq0.jpg

pa0600012av.th.jpg

(full pic)

pa0600062oi.th.jpg

(headshot)

pa0600139va.th.jpg

(side headshot)

pa0600156hi.th.jpg

(jackplate)

pa0600161ix.th.jpg

(bill lawrence pickups, and the hipshot trem)

pa0600206cw.th.jpg

(backshot)

body: lightweight Alder 2-piece, with a contoured heel, routed for a 2-post
Hipshot trem, non locking, side jack, fall-away cut out on the back side of the bottom bout.

pickups: humbucker-single-single, Bill Lawrence L-500L and 2-280s (n & m)
Q filter for the L-500L wired to 'tone pot', and a master volume.

neck: hardrock maple neck, with a pau ferro fingerboard. 6150 frets, 1-5/8" nut width. small fender-style headstock
Gibson scale length neck, 22 frets, fingerboard radius, of 12". the shape of the neck is a thin "C" shape,
with a .78" neck thickness at the 1st fret, up to .85 at the 13th, mother of pearl dot inlays.

headstock: tiltback design, 13 degrees, graphtech nut.

here's my other one:

the Stan Williams Special
williamsclose.jpg

it's quite unique. built in 1986.
the flame maple used on the neck and top, is from a large truss salvaged from a 111 year old barn in illinois (111 back in 1986, it'd be 132 years old now in 2008)

the idea of this guitar, was patterned after Brian May's Red Special.

blue-print strat body dimensions, but with a glue-in long tenon neck, ala a paul.

and with a much smoother heel.

body is honduras mahogony, neck is flame maple, ebony fingerboard, jumbo frets.

body has sound cavities inside of it, so it's semi-hollow, with a flame maple top (3/8" thick).

neck is a short scale : 24" scale length (like a fender jaguar), with 24 frets. rolled edges, unbound.

diamond-shaped inlays, on the neck, and around the middle pickup.

headstock is explorer-style, with flame maple veneer on the top, sides, and back.

trem is a Kahler 2300 pro.
pickups are bill lawrence 280's in the neck and middle, and a duncan Lil 59'r in the bridge.

mini toggles are off/on, for each pickup.

controls are Master, Tone, and the 3rd is not connected at present.

Well, at the moment I'm just lurking at carvins website trying to picture how would I like my guitar to look like IF I do decide to have a go at it, thanks, I'll make sure to contact Kevin hehe.
And wow, I really dig that strat and the stan williams, the colors really fit the guitars; what can you say about the sound of the lawrence pups?
and Don.. show pics! :twisted:

did the Carvin thing once(I am a lefty) -really impressed with customer service and the axe was fantastic-the neck was really special to my hands-they did a lefty for me at no extra and it was a player!!!good product...resale is what it is....

Yeah, check out the instock and player galleries on carvinmuseum.com. You might also want to introduce yourself over there. They're pretty cool over there just don't tell 'em I sent you. I'm banned over there for telling one of their moderators to f off. Don't worry, he deserved it.

I have been getting rid of my guitars that arent custom pieces, shifting over to using nothing but Tom Anderson guitars....for those of you that have experience with TAG you will know that every guitar out of his shop is speced by the buyer. They dont have 'stock' models. Very expensive but well worth every penny.

2007 Tom Anderson Classic
newanderson3.jpg

2006 Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
Classicm3.jpg

2007 Tom Anderson Drop Top
ablue.jpg

2003 Tom Anderson Classic - this one is my baby
lrm.jpg

MesaNoobie
to hear the cream machine (cream strat) go here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=661726&songID=6082626

listen to 'Following Light'

the soundclick streaming sounds like ***....
download sounds MUCH better...
but you'll get the idea.

godamn rocky, you sure have GAS haha! I dig the drop top and the hollow classic, they're gorgeous.
gonzo, btw your link doesn't work.. :?

second link worked just fine!
and it's kinda ironic how the guitar in the clip sounds 'creamy' as your actual guitar :p
I liked the part when you add the crunch and the guitar bends on the background, really classy :D

gonzo said:
my USACG strat project

creammachinefq0.jpg

pa0600012av.th.jpg

(full pic)

pa0600062oi.th.jpg

(headshot)

pa0600139va.th.jpg

(side headshot)

pa0600156hi.th.jpg

(jackplate)

pa0600161ix.th.jpg

(bill lawrence pickups, and the hipshot trem)

pa0600206cw.th.jpg

(backshot)

body: lightweight Alder 2-piece, with a contoured heel, routed for a 2-post
Hipshot trem, non locking, side jack, fall-away cut out on the back side of the bottom bout.

pickups: humbucker-single-single, Bill Lawrence L-500L and 2-280s (n & m)
Q filter for the L-500L wired to 'tone pot', and a master volume.

neck: hardrock maple neck, with a pau ferro fingerboard. 6150 frets, 1-5/8" nut width. small fender-style headstock
Gibson scale length neck, 22 frets, fingerboard radius, of 12". the shape of the neck is a thin "C" shape,
with a .78" neck thickness at the 1st fret, up to .85 at the 13th, mother of pearl dot inlays.

headstock: tiltback design, 13 degrees, graphtech nut.

****, how much did that cost you? :shock: It's exactly what I'm looking for, except with different pickups and in a different color.

kiss:

costs to date
body= 170
pickups=157
Pickguards=42
bridge=67
knobs=10
finish=200
tuners=(60)
neck=(240)
setup=(125)
-------------

way cheaper than the next comparable Fender artist series that is similar (the eric johnson model)

Here's some pics of my USACG T-Style with a Minwax finish-
usacg_t_full_1_600.jpg

usacg_t_bridge_iso_600.jpg

usacg_t_bridge_600.jpg

usacg_t_head_600.jpg

usacg_t_head_back_600.jpg

Latest posts

Back