Best pickup for driving your boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
What do you find best drives your boogie, providing clarity and all the lot? I'm using duncan hotrails in the bridge which kind of overdoes the mid range and lacks definitoin with high gain, but cuts like nothign else in a band situation and is meaty is hell with medium gain. coolrails in the neck provide the most brilliant clean and lead tones. Anyone pushing active pickups into there recto's?

Les Paul w/ EMG 60/81 (I used to have an 85/81, but swapped for a 60).

Strat w/ EMG 85 (bridge pup only)

The EMGs really make my Recto sing...and they have a clarity under gain that I haven't found in another pickup yet....but mostly like like them for how purcussive they make palm mutes.

Burstbucker #3 - Neck - Les Paul

EMG 85B, 81N in my Yamaha

Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Samick.

All 3 cut well, have gobs of gain, but have different tonal qualities. That's why I like them.

mikey383 said:
Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Samick.

I have a Super Distortion in on of my Strats......awesome pickup for punk. I like it for almost the exact oposite reasons I like EMGs....it's more blured, sludgier, smoother...however you want to look at it. Also, very harmonically complex as you turn up the gain.

EMG 81 at the bridge in an Ibanez Saber

EMG 85 at the bridge in a Music Man Luke

I have to say the 81 Drives the hell out of the amp and has a Tight Attack and Focused thick sound.

The 85 seems slightly more compressed and is a tad bit smoother and possibley a just a teeny weeny bit Phatter =) and it still drives the hell out of the amp.

81 has a bit more edge,
85 has a bit more roundness/fullness?

The guitars are different so you got to factor that in, but thats what I have experienced with my rig.

Ditto on the Duncan Custom 5. It's in my Les Paul Custom and drives my Nomad.

I also use a Les Paul Special with stock P90s. This guitar doesn't drive the Nomad as well as it did my old DC-5. My Strat has a Duncan Quarter Pound bridge pickup, and I get great Ritchie Blackmore tones out of the Nomad with it.

no pup helps my boogie! I hate it! I have a 2:90 (so pups really dont matter) but I hate that poweramp, it makes my digitech 2101 sound so muddy, no matter what setting I have it on!

Stock Humbuckers in my 91 Les Paul Standard....good drive, good clarity, and the sound has taken on a more "round" sound as they have aged.

Lindy Fralin Blues Specials in my Strat....GREAT tone...and about the same output as my LP now...no volume drops between guitars any more.

Stock Humbuckers in my 71 SG....nickel covers removed...has a brighter tone than the LP, but still has that great grind. Works especially well on my Road King, channel 2, Brit voicing, 2 EL34s...(Angus Young, anyone?)

RB

Along with otheres who have posted - EMG 85 in the bridge position with just about any guitar. T%his is what I personally use. Sustain forever....

Hmmm, depends on the guitar I'm using:

Les Paul- '59 neck, currently using a Tone Zone w/cover. (I know, I know...but hey, it actually sounds good!!!) I do have a WCR Darkburst that I'm dropping in the bridge when I get around to it.

PRS Singlecut- stock neck, WCR Herc bridge
The Herc is an amazing pickup...great clarity and quite possibly the biggest/heaviest sounding pickup I've ever heard. Cleans up nicely with volume rollback.

PRS Cu24-VB neck, Screamin' Demon bridge.

Jackson SL2- EMG 60 neck, 85 Bridge

Peavey Wolfgang - Stock

1985 MIJ Strat - stock neck and middle...some DiMarzio from '87...I forget which one I put in there, its been awhile.

At the moment I'm experimenting a bit, because I found out which Gibson pickups I actually have in my Tokai LS 60 (Shaw PAFs from January 1983). I really like them combined with my Mark IIB using its modded lead channel (with less bass response). Next week I'm going to get my other Tokai from the rehearsal room and a friend's one, too, so I can compare their sounds side-by-side in my living room over the Mark II and a self-built 1x12 cab with EV 12L.

I have a peavey wolfgang and a friend of mine has a gibson les paul standard and I think they both sound very close. I guess it depends what you're looking for? I'd say an active pups would drive it better, but I really like my wolfgang pups (stock), they seem pretty hot (alot hotter than my old fender squire with humbuckers). I also like my G&L single coils, not as much gain but still a sweet sound, great on clean stuff, country stuff and even heavy stuff if your pushing the amp with a TS or V-twin!

My Strat is pushing the boogie(s) with Kinman Woodstocks, quiet and thick.
I just recently installed on my Melancon, a Kinman in the middle position, a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge (very thick sounding) along with the stock Dimarzio in the neck. I am loving it.

chedgeco... 8)

Latest posts

Back