Swapping different EMGs around in my baritone. suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've had my Series 2 rectoverb for a while now and love it. my second guitar is a solid maple Agile Baritone that came with actives that i didn't like so I swapped them for a set of 81/85s Had the 81 in the bridge for the longest time but was always annoyed by how allow and trebly it was, so after doing some research i through it in the neck and put my 85 in the bridge. Much better! and more harmonics as well!

However I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the 60A for the neck spot? I know the 60 is supposed to be great but its ceramic like the 81 and i'm thinking that isnce the 85 is alnico, the 60A alnico would probably be a better match? anybody?

Just for grins and giggles...have you thought of ditching the EMG's all together? I think You'll be pleasantly suprised at the tone qualities o fthe passive pickups out there. I would suggest for your guitar a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Norton in the neck. Just a thought.

why do you recommend that mix of pickups? I put a dimarzio air norton in the neck of my brothers cheapy ibanez and it sounds really good paired with the air zone in the bridge.

I really have been considering getting rid of the actives. they are just too hot and sterile for my taste. someone recommened PRS HFS or HSF whatever they are. a bit pricey though. i might consider doing duncans just to try something else, though i love my dimarzio air zone and virtual PAF in my SZ.

Well,
Since your guitar (I'm Assuming) is set/thru neck... The Custom 5 lets the wood speak as well as a bit of a kick on the chunk side, which will work well with the baritone's nature. The Norton(regular not the 'Air') has a great solo tone that is not too muddy but the attack similar to an EMG 85. That's why I suggested those.

hmm interesting. only downside is i need to get all new pots for the guitar...a little bit more time consuming then just popping in new pups but nonetheless, i'm probably going that route. I like having my time machine boost on clean always on before my rectoverb and that works great for my dimarzio loaded SZ but with this setup..ugh, no good clean tone at all, even with the volume turned almost off on the pickups.

Latest posts

Back