What do you think is a better situation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
What do you guy's think? What makes for better tone? An ok/decent guitar and an excellent amp, or an excellent amp and an ok/decent guitar? I've always found that as long as the guitar in question was setup good, and the pickups were top notch, then it was almost completely up to the amp, accounting for obvious pickup differences. There are those that swear that a customshop les paul through a SS marshall is a far better setup than an Epi with ducans/emg's through a dual rec.

As long as the guitar is setup good and you enjoy playing it then avg - killer amp is the way to go. The key is you've got to enjoy playing that particular guitar or you won't therefore is doesn't matter what amp you've got.

IMO of course.

Musicbox, yours is kind of a "heads I win, tails you lose" but I know what you meant. :lol:

I take the elitist snob approach. A great player will make a half-decent guitar and mediocre amp still sound great. A crappy player with an awesome guitar and awesome amp will still sound crappy.

Ahh..I didn't mean to make it sound like that. I'm usually pretty set on my own opinions, I should work on being more open! One instance of brilliant guitar, low end amp I can think of would playing a good vintage strat(pre-cbs, or atleast one of the good american ones around today) through a champ/other low wattage cheap tube amp. With that combo I don't think any high end boutique amp would really have an advantage, scince most of them are based on the old low wattage fender/gibson designs anyway.

1 step further.. I think a crappy guitar that you LOVE, will only sound as good as the pups allow it to..Better pups in a crappy guitar that plays well is fine.
I think ultimately, the amp will be the deciding factor, all else being the same.
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back