Les Paul upgrades!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Alrighty, I've decided to live a bit longer with the LP; I love the way it sounds through the DC10 1/2 stack. Here's a list of my dislikes with possible solutions:

1. She loves popping strings at the bridge.
Buy a shaller roller bridge or those graph tech string saver saddles.

2. She loves going out of tune.
Buy new locking machine heads.

3. She's a fat, heavy beast. :(
Put her on a diet!

What do you guys recommend? I've installed a Graph-Tech nut and the tuning has improved tremendously and gone are thos annoying "pinging" sounds when I tune up. Can you guys share any relevant information or tips?

TIA,

~F

Locking tuners may not be necessary. Just get tuners that are better than what you have. Plenty of non-locking tuners don't slip.

Is tuner slippage really what's happening? Are you having problems with an unstable, warping neck? If so, top of the line tuners won't even help. Better to have a tech check it before you start upgrading.

String breakage at the bridge can be fixed by having the slots filed. You don't necessarily need rollers or a new bridge.

Is it a Gibson or Epiphone?

Not ditching Epiphone but Gibson has more rigid inspection for their material (neck wood, body wood) *duh* which may 'cause the above problems mentioned by cvansuckle.

I actually like the close encase tuners (Gotoh, Shaller, Grover) over open case tuners (Vintage Klusion looking type), if your has those type. My friend's Gibson does have Grover Klusion type. Not sure if it had tuning problems.

Check the string winding on the tuner post if they're good and tight.

Les Pauls will always be heavy, that's why they have that fat midrange sound.

Having the nut slots filed properly will let the string glide smoothly through without the "ping".
I've suggested this to others but, "top wrap" the tail, and screw the tail tight to the body. This will let the string pass over the bridge at less of an angle, allowing for easier bending, more stable tuning, less pressure on the knife edge, and more sustain....Really a win-win situation.
Also, have the bridge saddles filed well....
Just a note but, have you ever seen the bricge saddles on an Epiphone? They have a really nice groove cast right in... Nice pass for the string right from the factory...
Also, don't put too many wraps on the peg when winding. I put 2-3 on the wound strings, and 3-4 on the unwound. Too many can make it unstable.
Grovers would be a good choice for tuners if, after all this, you still want to change...
ax. :twisted:
BTW, Mine is a 1976 LP Custom, she weighs 13lbs 4oz. (brick) lol...

ey thanks again!

I got a wild hair last night after rehearsal and took off all of the hardware and went to town. I ended up:

1. Using Meguire's 3 Step system on the finish :)

2. Cleaning all of the hardware (some pieces had turned "Statue of Liberty" green) :( -> :)

While cleaning, I discovered that the machine heads were very loose! In fact, the retaining nut was so loose, I could turn it by hand. So, I retightened them.

I also found that the saddles were heavily corroded to the point that there were burrs around the slots (due to my perspiration!) While I didn't have a file, I used the next best thing: a small, wound string! I managed to clean the hell out of the saddles with it.

After reassembly, I decided to take a crack at adjusting the intonation- which turned out to be a very easy job! All of these years of being afraid to mess things up were wasted...how much money could I have saved?? :( x 12

Now, when I capo the LP, I don't have to worry about retuning after clamping her down! Haha, how many modern rock bands are using capos?!

Here's the clincher! The **** thing doesn't want to go out of tune now! I cannot believe I am typing this, because after all of these years fighting with this heavy, unrefined turd, it is holding tune remarkably well! In fact, it's doing a finer job than my former Musicman Silhouette special ever did!

****, maybe she just needed some love and attention. OMG, is this the way I've treated women in my past???!!!

~F

Back