Gibson or PRS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you that my Hamer compliments my Mark IV quite well. It compliments anything I plug into it quite well. Both Gibson and PRS make good guitars but if I'm paying that much for a guitar I want someone carving my top and neck, not a machine.

devilrob1979 said:
I can tell you that my Hamer compliments my Mark IV quite well. It compliments anything I plug into it quite well. Both Gibson and PRS make good guitars but if I'm paying that much for a guitar I want someone carving my top and neck, not a machine.

+1
Hamers are outstanding guitars!

Hamer's parent company is Kaman. I read a couple of weeks ago Fender reached an agreement to purchase Kaman. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fender30oct30,1,985296.story?coll=la-headlines-business

well, back to the original poster...i don't own PRS, but i do own gibson/epiphone.

my #1 is a gibson les paul DC standard. i love the sound of it through my DR.

i also play an epiphone slash les paul which i hot rodded with a 57 classic plus in the bridge and a 490R in the neck. that sounds wicked too.

my backup is an epi les paul standard. even that sounds good. i think the pickups are hotter than most epi pickups though, but they are still stock.

i'm hopefully going to buy a prs here in a few months, so i'll compare when/if i get one.

I for one don't care for Gibsons too much. The fat neck and extra fat tone is not my thing. I've got a PRS that i'm trying to sell because the neck is fatter than I was hoping it would be... It screams through my Roadster, though. If it had a wide thin neck, i'd prob keep it.

My Ibanez SZ (closest thing I've owned to a Gibson) was too thick sounding, so I sold it shortly after I bought it...

Hope that helps a little...

taylor414rce2003 said:
I want someone carving my top and neck, not a machine.

But Machines dont make mistakes 8)[/quote]

very true. And weren't the machines designed by the people who designed the guitar? Or at least to serve the same purpose as a person?

Let me start off by saying that I'm not trying to bash anyone.

Yes, I'm a PRS guy.

I visited the PRS factory a few weeks ago, and I didn't see machines making guitars. I saw three CNC machines that do the rough shaping of the guitars - two for the bodies and one for the necks. And a whole bunch of people turning them into what I firmly believe is the most consistent guitar on the market. Their operation is very similar to every other larger scale guitar company in the world - except that their QC is a whole lot tighter than anyone else's.

Don't get me wrong. I think Hamer makes GREAT guitars (and I heard Paul Reed Smith himself say it, too!), but they DO use machinery to cut bodies and necks. If you don't believe me, then I challenge you to go take a tour of the factory. First, because it's cool to see how they're made. But second, you'll see that PEOPLE make guitars.

There's no way that a company that produces more than a few guitars a month can produce the numbers of guitars that they do, and not have machinery cutting bodies and necks.

(these comparisons thru a mark2b)

rather than either a gibby or PRS, I stick with my carvin dc200K solid koa axe, because it cuts thru like a strat, but sustains like a paul.

being a set neck design (like a paul) but having a thinner body, it's probably closer to a PRS.
having a 2 piece solid koa body, and single piece koa neck, has a LOT to do with the sound.

my buddy has a PRS 22, and a/b'ing it against my carvin, it has a slightly fatter sound, but my carvin has much more clarity.

to each his own, but i bought my carvin for about $750 new, and i still haven't heard a gibby or PRS i like better.

that said, i once found a black LP with P-90's that i'd gladly trade my carvin off for...
but alas, i was broke, and it's long gone......

Between a Gibson and a PRS, there's only a few Gibson models I think are worth the price, but I think every PRS is worth the price. Plus I think PRS has a much better QC than Gibson. Don't get me wrong, I've played Gibsons I would of loved to have (mostly vintage ones that the owners wouldn't sell for anything) and I've owned a few that I wish I would of kept, and a few I couldn't get rid of fast enough, but I've never picked up a bad PRS (including the $500 models- great guitar for the price). If I was going to blindly buy one new online, it would be PRS. If I was going to a store I'd play every Gibson and PRS they had in stock and decide on the individual guitar regardless of what make it was.

steeldragonjovi said:
taylor414rce2003 said:

But Machines dont make mistakes 8)

very true. And weren't the machines designed by the people who designed the guitar? Or at least to serve the same purpose as a person?[/quote]

point well taken!!! what it gets down to is a guitar is only as good as the wood they (human hands or high tech machine) can get a hold of.The older guitars where made from trees hundreds evan thousands of years old from virgin forests and not tree farms!! thats my 2cents worth

Another vote for a PRS guitar, the quality like its been said dozen's of times is just amazing. My guitar was flawless, and still plays the game today as when i got it 3 years ago. Like every major guitar maker they have a large range of models and options, more so then just a few years ago, they really have expanded there amount of models.

Like anything go play it and see what you like and how it plays.

Plus the birds look freakin awesome!

if PRS made models with 24.75" scale length, i might would buy one.

With the gain on the amp fired up and a great player on the guitar, I will bet dollars to donuts that there would be NO consistent pattern of selection in a blindfold listening test between the two makes. In fact, you could add another dozen manufacturers in there and it would be a total toss up. Preference is very personal, based on feel, shape of the neck etc. If you like it, it is good. No more to it than that.

taylor414rce2003 said:
steeldragonjovi said:
taylor414rce2003 said:

But Machines dont make mistakes 8)

very true. And weren't the machines designed by the people who designed the guitar? Or at least to serve the same purpose as a person?

point well taken!!! what it gets down to is a guitar is only as good as the wood they (human hands or high tech machine) can get a hold of.The older guitars where made from trees hundreds evan thousands of years old from virgin forests and not tree farms!! thats my 2cents worth[/quote]

The mistakes generally don't leave the factory and mine's unique as is every other hand carved guitar out there which is cool to me. That said I'd go PRS over Gibson just because I think they still value quality a bit more than the Big G. Gibson doesn't have to make quality guitars for people to buy them and they know it. There are plenty of Gibsons out there but it seems that PRS is far more consistent. If I was going to buy a Gibson I'd buy an Edwards instead and save myself a ton of cash. I might actually do that.

i've never seen one.

when i met paul reed smith in annapolis, in '80, the guitar he had just finished (howard leese) and the one he was working on (santana's first) were both that hybrid scale length.

what models would i be looking at?

Elpelotero said:
they have some. check em out

The SC245, Santana Signiture models, 1980 West Street Limited Edition models all sport a 24 1/2" scale length. Don't quote me, but I believe I heard Paul say that it's actually closer to 24 5/8".

Is this what you were referring to?

I'm in favor of machines making my guitar. It's not like they aren't supervised by people who inspect them and make sure mistakes aren't being produced. They always come out perfect.

Latest posts

Back