PRS SE vs the real thing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maury

Reaction score
Anyone here know what the deal is on these <$700 PRSs? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, thanks.

Maury

As an owner of both, I think the SE's are great guitars!

There are obviously differences between the Korean made and American made models, but the Korean guitars go through the same QC process at the factory in Stevensville, Md. And if there are any problems that can't immediately be fixed, they get sawed in two and tossed. I feel that the build quality is easily as good as most other brands of guitars that are in twice the price range. I'd very highly recommend them!

As a matter of fact, I'm planning to buy another one to take on deployments with me.

I like the American made models' contour on the upper horn much better and the SE logo on the headstock is hideous on the Korean made models. Are the pickups inferior to those on the CEs or upper end PRS's? I have a hard time paying more than $1500 for a guitar, so the CE was the best fit for me. And I also prefer the maple neck rather than the finished necks on the other models...

The pickups are made in Taiwan by PRS specs. I wouldn't call them inferior because they don't squeal and they don't suck. In fact, they do sound pretty decent. However, I switched mine out because I prefer hotter pickups like the Dragon I's.

BTW, I also have a CE, and it's a killer guitar. CE's are also not inferior just because they have a lower price. It's a different flavor of PRS . . . that just happens to scream!

would you say the dragon I's are hotter than the dragon II's? My buddy has a PRS CE with I's and it seems hotter for some reason...

And I agree: CEs are killer guitars!!!

Yes, Dragon I's are hotter than II's.

I'm expecting the delivery of an SC250 today. They say that the 250 pickups are hotter than Dragons without being muddy. We have a gig tonight and hopefully I'll be able to play it at the show.

Tone report and pics at the earliest convenience . . .

I had a PRS SE Singlecut for a week or two.

They play like a PRS, but the pickups are crappy and the body is multi-piece which affects the tone/sustain. Besides that, I think think they are the best cheap guitars out there.

If you've been playing for a while then don't bother and save up for a used American PRS, IMO.

I will add they are the perfect PRS "beater" guitar.

thanks guys. I'm playing guitar for 22 years but it seems I've always put my money into good acoustics. I play a couple Martins, but on the electric side of things I've owned (this is embarassing) a $300 80s Kramer, $600 90s Charvel. $250 90s MIM Tele, and now a $300 MIM strat.

Time to jump up, I'm sure :)

They should bring on an SE SC 245 or three to further compete with Gibson/Epiphone.

man i hate to say it but my se is about 98% as good as my american PRSi, its amazing really, of course the american ones are stock and the se is upgraded with new pickups and a new tailpiece, but that 25" scale is there and the smooth-vintage-ish frets, they are just great guitars imo

loving my tremonti se... mind you i had to beef up the pickups with Tremonti bass in the neck and some sweet spot dragon II's but playability wise, a fun guitar to play and really just a pleasurable experience. I will admit though, its all in the player and comfort zones. I jam with a buddy who uses an american singlecut and he gets so peaved that he can't really get into his 2,400 baby while i got mine used for 300 and dropped another 150 on it and adore it. IMO

i'm really suspicious of the wood used on the se's. i've picked up about 10 over the years in different music stores, and they've all been freakishly light in weight. played 'em unplugged, but never plugged one in because i'd rather have the real thing. not necessarily a prs. just in general- a REAL strat over a MIM, a REAL paul over an epi, and so on. i see a lot of people are happy w/their se's, so they can't suck...right?

I went for the SE Custom version due to the fact it was lighter as a solid body... However, I did some upgrades on mine (Tuners, PU)... still cost me 1000$ cheaper than an American made and for me it was lighter...

Very Happy with my decision...

A lot of folks seem to like the SE semi-hollows if you're into that sort of thing. I've played a few and thought they felt nice but I haven't tried plugging one in.

I've got an SE custom (bought it back in early '07). The main difference is that there is no carved Top on the SE custom models and also does not have the paint job nor finish of the American made that makes you :shock:

I will say that the stock tuners are a little crappy. I put on locking Sperzels for about $75, fixed that problem.

The stock pickups are very decent. Zebra striped Korean made with relatively low noise and good sustain when using distortion. However, I did swap mine out with DiMarzio's (PAF & Air Norton). Click this link to see the Guitar World video review (you have scroll down a little to watch it though)

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/paul_reed_smith_se_custom_and_se_singlecut_electric_guitars

I've got a PRS SE Soapbar II that I bought at GC a couple of years ago when they were blowing them out for under $300.

It's a great guitar. I love mahogany guitars with P-90s and a wrap tailpiece.
My only real complaint would be that the pickups are a bit bland for P-90s and the frets are smaller than I like. The tailpiece is lightweight aluminum and intonates fine.
The tuners are not fancy but they tune and keep in tune fine.

I bought two of these on sale, one for me and one for a friend (he paid me for it). His was set up a lot nicer out of the box, but I tweaked mine to be equally good, if not better.

The guitar's very light, but it's tiny. My Les Paul Jr was a bit heavier but had more wood.

My Les Paul jr had a much more aggressive sound from it's single P-90.

A set of Lollar, Fralin or even Gibson P-90s would make the guitar complete.

As nice a guitar as it is, it doesn't compare to a real Paul Reed Smith guitar.

Latest posts

Back