Anybody ever buy a guitar from Musician's Friend?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-guy

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I was wondering if any of you have purchased a guitar from Musician's Friend. They have a Strat that I've been looking for. No one here has it and all (even GC) have told me 6 to 9 weeks from Fender.
I've gotten pedals, strings and accessories from them, but never a guitar.
Any advice (or experiences) will be much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Like you, I have bought a number of things from Musician's Friend but not a guitar. If you're concerned about the package getting to you ok, I did buy a guitar through another mail order place. It was due to a price break. I didn't think to contact Musician's Friend to match the price, otherwise I would've. Anyway it got to me just fine. One nice thing about most of these places is that if it gets to you damaged, you can always send it back. If I was looking for something that I couldn't find locally, I wouldn't hesitate to use Musician's Friend based on my experiences with them. Just make sure to check it out thoroughly when it arrives and save your packaging for a short time.

Any other advice would be check around for sale prices and MF will match it. Also, confirm that it is actually in stock. I didn't do that and it was a back order, which meant that I had to wait longer than expected to get it. Also, check around on the clearance side of the websites to see if you can get it at better price, if you want to save money and some scratches and dents aren't a concern. I always like to put my own dings in my stuff, but I always look, just the same.

Good Luck.

Thanks Brewski,

I ordered the guitar. It will be here Weds. the 26th.
I figured I got nothing to lose except the shipping. But hopefully it will be a "keeper". I'll check it out real good when it gets here.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob,
Yeah, If the guitar is damaged or not right, I believe that you can send it back on their dime, if I'm not mistaken. If you just don't like it, then I think that you get to pay the shipping. Musician's Friend is an affiliate of Guitar Center, and they should take care of you. I bought a used amp from GC to fiddle with, and I have an intermittent problem with. It's not a Mesa, so I won't even bring that up. But, GC said that they will either fix it under their 90 warranty or they will give me back my money.

What guitar did you end up getting? What kind of music do you play?

Regards,
Gary-

Yo Gary!
Fender Strat. I posted "3rd. times a charm". I had 2 "NEW" bad Strats in a row. (Both had bad truss rods in the neck) The local dealer told me "no more than 3 weeks for a new replacement directly from Fender." Went past the 3 weeks, I called him, he said "the rep. just called us, another 3 to 4 weeks for the guitar." I said "fine, I'll just take a refund." Nobody here (Long Island) had Americian Deluxe Ash Tobacco Sunburst. All told me 4 to 6 weeks. That's when I checked M.F. All styles all finishes "in stock, no problem." The guitar has already shipped, it's in Kentucky, be here Weds.
I play classic rock, blues, country, some "finger pick'n"
what I call "fun stuff". I don't play out. I may find some guys to jam with down the road. I have a F/T job, guitar is my 2nd love. (Though my wife sometimes says that she's #2 and the guitar is #1) I got lucky, my wife actually enjoys hearing me play so I really don't have the "volume issue" to deal with. (most of the time)

Gibson L.P. Std.
Strat (2 bad, waiting for #3)
Taylor T-5 Koa (this is an OUTSTANDING guitar, but my 1st one had a defective finish, "major"air bubbles in the clear coat. So this is #2)
LSC (already in the repair shop)
A few pedals

Basically I have all the "sounds" that I need. So no more "spending" just maintenance.

My LSC is 2 months old. Already in the shop. (major hum) Called Mesa,
tried a few things, they said, "definate problem with the power section of the amp, you'd better take it to a service center." (Another 3 weeks for that to come back) What am I doing wrong? All "American Made" gear, problems with 3 out of 5. I don't consider that good odds, especially for what these things cost.

Thanks for your "input", much appreciated!

Bob

I remember the post "3rd Times A Charm", I just didn't associate this post with it, so curiosity got the best of me. It's funny that GC doesn't have a more direct connection with Musician's Friend, they could've had a guitar to you in just a few days if they were talking with each other, especially after the bad history you've been having.

I hear you with having problems! I've got some amp woes on both of my amps. I'm getting the "bees in a jar" tube rattle from my F-50. I ended up buying some HALO dampers, to see if this will minimize that sound, but I don't know for sure if this will make an improvement or not. I haven't received them yet, so it's anyone's guess. I'll post what I find out on rigs and tones, after giving them a good run. Once you hear a particular unsavory sound out of your amp, then you're tuned in to it and it'll drive you nuts. If this doesn't work, then I may save up and go to a LSC head and cab arrangement.

The "other" amp is cutting out and crackling at moderate levels. It's an intermittent short of some sort. I just couldn't duplicate it at GC, so they told me that I could either get my money back on the spot or take it home and "break" it. So, I took plan B, because it would cost me much more to replace it and GC is only about 2 miles down the road from me.

I have the American Deluxe HSS in 3 color sunburst (which we talked about originally)
natural colored Epiphone Joe Pass
Roland Ready Strat (Basically a Standard Mexican Strat)
Taylor 314CE acoustic
and a few wall hangers

I play similar similar types of music as you, throwing in some alternative and originals with a casual group who enjoy getting together. We've done a few gigs and are making an attempt at recording some originals. We've had a number of personal setbacks that have slowed us down.

"Personal Set Backs"
Man, can I relate to that. So whatever it was, sorry to hear about it.

I laughed when you said once you hear the "unsavory sound" you're always tuned into it. Nice to know I'm not alone.

When #3 Strat gets here I'll do a new post.

When the LSC comes back I'll do a post under "modern amps" in case anyone else is having a similar problem maybe it will help them.

You know it's funny. With all the people that "rag" on Gibson they're the only company that sent me a product with no problems. Just set it up to my taste and it's been fine. Sounds and plays great every time, no problems with anything.

I hope you get rid of your "bees". I love my amp I just hope I didn't get a "lemon". I hope Mesa isn't "slipping." Time will tell. Sorry if I sound "negative" but right now I'm looking at the empty spaces where my amp and Strat used to be. I don't own another amp, didn't think I was going to need one. For years I had the cheapest SS amp, sounded like crap ............... but it always worked without a problem. I'll be OK soon as my stuff comes back.

I hope everything gets back on track and goes great for you & your buds.
Good luck with your recordings. (I have a feeling I'd really enjoy listening to your music)

Bob M.

Thanks. Between furry friends and family members departing, as well as, vacations, we've taken some breaks on the music.

I'm glad that the Gibson is working out for ya. I just can't afford one, otherwise, I'd probably have one of those, too. If you listen long enough, you'll hear people ragging on just about anything. There are so many nice instruments out there, and the wallet is too thin.

Regrettably, I'm already looking at plan C. I might pick up an LSC, which could be my way out, although, a pretty expensive one. In retrospect, maybe that's the way I should've went. The only other complaint that I have on my F-50 is the reverb is thin and weak, but that's not what I'm focused on at this point. I just want the thing to play without the extraneous noise. Ya do what ya can, and then if it doesn't work, the bitching is justified! :)

Brewski, I don't know you from Adam but have gone through for the last couple of years what you just described. My respect, condolences, and a manly hug for you, sir. :D

Old Guy! It's ordered! Yeehaw! You will love it sir, I'm sure... while I haven't ordered from MF online, I have bought a Jazz bass from Samedaymusic.com and had no issues with it arriving. It looks like no other humans touched sans the Fender folks as it looks like it went from the Fender factory, to Sameday's warehouse, to me. I imagine MF will be the same.

I did just get a Martin DC Aura from GC. Good Grief, I love that guitar...

Congrats, sir!

Hey SabuJSE,

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Congrats to you on your new guitar!

That Martin is a sweet guitar. You'll enjoy that for years and years. When you get a chance and have any pointers on controlling feedback, that your willing to divulge, please let me know. My Taylor seems to have a mind of it's own in that department. I use a Feedback Buster, and back off of the bass. My first acoustic gig a while back was done with several t-shirts stuffed into it! Live and learn, huh? :)

Once I figure out how to control it, I'll be sure to let you know... if you come up with another solution that doesn't require tees, please pass it along :D

Once I figure out how to control it, I'll be sure to let you know... if you come up with anotehr solution that doesn't require tees, please pass it along

Hehehehehehehe! Yeah, I know. Some things a guy just shouldn't admit to, but it makes good humor. Now where's that insta-foam gun?:D

Latest posts

Back