which guitar to buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattinthehat2502

Reaction score
I need a guitar that can be used for literally any kind of music. I will be using for my highschool jazz band, as well as for blues, rock, and metal. My budget is $500, but I may be willing to go up to $700. It doesn't matter to me whether it's used or new. I would prefer two humbuckers, and I like double cutaways. What would you recommend?

Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, Epiphones, Fender..... I would say play as many as you can and whatever feels best would be the choice. Keep in mind you might have to swap pickups so keep a little extra on the side for that. I love the feel of older Ibanez guitars, the new ones just don't feel the same. Same with Jacksons. Epiphones can be really nice with a setup and new pickups, same with lower end Fenders. Schecters have some really nice models and some real crap, so they're a company I'd stay away from taking a chance on ordering it without playing the exact one your buying.

I like USA Hamers personally, so if I had $700 to spend right now and needed a "do it all" guitar, I'd buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-FM-SPECIAL-USA-MODEL-1996_W0QQitemZ160150759527QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A quality, handmade in the USA instrument. Since it's a '96, the neck on that one will be on the thinner side of medium to medium.

If you shop around you should be able to find a used Les Paul Special double cut in good condition for that kind of money. Plenty of G&L guitars go in that range on ebay but mostly single coils. The above-mentioned Hamer or a Gibson SG. There will be some USA and Japan Fenders with humbuckers in that range also. If you buy a used, quality made American guitar for a good price you can always get your money out of it later if you decide to sell. Some of the older made in Japan guitars are nice, avoid Korean and Chinese guitars with their cheap electronics, mush metal frets and inferior truss rods. They will not last, do not hold their value and bring no satisfaction in the long run. I paid $650 for my Gibson Les Paul Studio with a hardshell case last year, no Schector or new Ibanez is going to have the value in 10 years that it will. FWIW, been playing, buying and selling since I was 13 and almost 40 years later some things have not changed. Buy the good stuff and be done with it. Good luck!! :D :D :D

If you can find a used PRS SE that would give you the best playability for your money. Tone wise they are ok (multi-piece body), they are student guitars. Replacing the pickups will help.

I tried the Singlecut SE and decided the tone/feel from my more expensive guitars can't be found in these multi-piece body imports.

But the PRS SEs offer your best bang for buck for cheap guitars because of their easily playable "PRS low action".

Check out the SE Custom or SE Custom Semi-Hollow. Tremolos are ok, but I would suggest considering a tremolo on your second guitar.

devilrob1979 said:
A used Carvin is a great buy in that price range.

I know the guy selling this one and he's a stand up guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-Custom-Shop-Strat-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ120154765733QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's got an active treble and bass boost to adapt to different types of music. I love my Carvin.

Some more suggestions:

Godin guitars. I saw a really nice used Godin at the Guitar Center for $350 with gig bag. They are well made, nice woods and designs. Not sure about double cutaway. The low Canadian dollar at the time of sale makes these a bargain.

Peavey guitars. The higher end made in USA guitars are excellent and have low resale, a big plus for you. The Cropper models, the Oddessy, the neck through body hot rod strat models (Nitro?) are all really nice guitars. I helped a friend buy a top of the line Generation (Tele copy) with active pickups and carved flame maple top to $325 with case and shipping. That is a lot of guitar for the money. Avoid the imports and the less expensive models like the Predator.

Carvin guitars. Another great guitar with fairly low resale, used Carvin guitars often sell for far less than what they would be worth with a different name on the headstock.

Check Craigslist, all your local pawn shops, ebay and any nearby Guitar Center. Guitar Center will mark any guitar in the store that has been there "too long" WAY down and ditch it. I bought a brand new Gibson Melody Maker there for $199 and was with a friend when he bought his used but clean 2-12 Maverick for $599. You just have to be ready to decide then and there or someone else will get it. Hope this all helps.

right now the canadian dollar is nearly even with the US dollar and most Godins are assembled and distributed out of New Hampshire.

Rocky said:
right now the canadian dollar is nearly even with the US dollar and most Godins are assembled and distributed out of New Hampshire.

True but an older used one would have been sold new in this country when the Canadian dollar was not so strong. The one I saw clearly said "Made in Canada" on it. I thought about buying it but have wisely sold a few instead. Can't play them all at once! They probably started moving into the states for various reasons. They are well made, well designed can be a lot of guitar for the money so I thought they would be worthy of mention. Are you following me around? :D :D :D C'mon Rocky, help the OP out with some good values so he doesn't end up with some Korean or Chinese POS.

Godin's are as well made as guitars worth WAY more than they are. I'm a big fan of the models with bolt on Mahogany necks.

lockbody said:
I like USA Hamers personally, so if I had $700 to spend right now and needed a "do it all" guitar, I'd buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-FM-SPECIAL-USA-MODEL-1996_W0QQitemZ160150759527QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A quality, handmade in the USA instrument. Since it's a '96, the neck on that one will be on the thinner side of medium to medium.

Well, someone thought it was a good deal. :D

I've got an Epiphone Studio 335 Dot.
It's a thin, semi-hollow with a classic shape. The pickups are pretty hot, but handle the clean stuff pretty well.
The ES-335 has long been associated with Blues players, Jazz, Progressive Rock, and even Punk.
BB King, Lary Carlton, Alex Lifeson, and Tim Armstrong are good examples.

OK, two more fine USA made guitars that often sell cheap. Ovation Viper and Ovation Preacher. They look a bit "off" but will play as well as anything out there and have good hardware. If you get the active version you need to lower the pickups down as they are HOT and will distort the internal preamp. Something to keep your eyes open for.

devilrob1979 said:
devilrob1979 said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-Custom-Shop-Strat-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ120154765733QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's got an active treble and bass boost to adapt to different types of music. I love my Carvin.

I really would like to buy this, but I'm skeptical about buying from ebay. Has anyone else ever bought from ebay? Your thoughts please?

mattinthehat2502 said:
devilrob1979 said:
devilrob1979 said:

I really would like to buy this, but I'm skeptical about buying from ebay. Has anyone else ever bought from ebay? Your thoughts please?

I have bought several guitars and both my Mesa amps on ebay. Know your seller, check the feedback. Ask all questions early. Make sure you know what your shipping charges will be. Do not bid until the last possible moment, bid ONCE and set your price in your mind before you go on. There will ALWAYS BE ANOTHER ONE.

Try searching for slightly mis-spelled words to find bargains others may miss. Bear in mind the previous owner may have preferred a set-up that is different than the set-up that you like. I do my own set-ups, you may have to pay someone. If your guitar technician has internet access at work, ask him/her what they think of the guitar and how much work it might need.

My Les Paul Studio came to me ready to play, perfect. Others have needed anywhere from minor to major work. I will buy one that needs work because it will go for less money and I can fix it. That strategy may not make sense for you. It is nice to be able to pick amongst so many guitars!!

I took a look at the Carvin for you. Looks like a SWEET guitar. It will go up from the starting bid but have a crack at it anyway. Good Luck!!

How about the Epiphone Black Beauty. 3 humbuckers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Black-Beauty-Electric-Guitar?sku=518340

These strats come with the same pups as the American Deluxe.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Deluxe-Players-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=513880

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Milonga-Electric-Guitar?sku=513758

Latest posts

Back