pickups and pirates

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex1fly

Reaction score
yarr!

Help me achieve Mesa nirvana!

I'm looking for a tight bridge pickup for 2 guitars (strat + les paul) that are good for shred-type palm muted rhythm riffs, barre chords and passing tones. I want full but not brittle highs, growly mids, and chunky bass, with lots of articulation and clarity. So far all of the Duncans I've tried (Hot Rails, Jazz, Custom, Custom 5, 59) have been fizzy and weak. I have a Bill Lawrence XL-500 and an SD Full Shred on the way. I want that beautiful Mesa tone to come through my Roadster, but I feel like SD may not do it for me... any pickups you guys get the best quality tone from the DR and avoid that fizzy top/mids too driving and not growly enough/general lack of balls problem?

If you don't want to cut the strat, Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. Very tight. I like them. I think eltrain has some clips with them and a recto.

My strat has a SD quarter pounder staggered in the bridge and sounded monster through my recto. Mids a plenty and good top - nothing too brittle just a nice bit of bite! Also retains a bit of 'strat' with still being a single coil if you're interested in that? You could also try Rio Grande's - they do a few strat pickups vintage/hot vintage types through to a stacked P90 type in a single coil size. Got some in my LP Deluxe and they're pretty good - fat sound with plenty grunt but manage to retain good clarity.

I was actually going to buy a QP from the local music store and give it a try in my strat bridge today! Good to hear that it sounds like a monster... the pickups i've tried so far have been anything but! I will probably try EMGs or Blackouts in my LP if the Bill Lawrence XL-500 doesn't deliver... but does it sound like active pickups are the style of pickups I would like? Lots of attack, focused tone, note definition from string to string, no muddy chords, responsive to EQ...

For the Les Paul there's only one real choice: the Gibson 57+. And use Gibson pure nickel vintage strings. You won't be sorry.

+1 on the EMG's for the strat. You won't get quite the bite and fullness as the 57+ with the Les Paul but they should bring out the nice qualities of the Fender.

123thefirst said:
For the Les Paul there's only one real choice: the Gibson 57+. And use Gibson pure nickel vintage strings. You won't be sorry.

I'm pretty sure that Dallas Green from Alexisonfire has these pups in his semi-hollowbody. He doesn't play on a Mesa but his tone is still amazingly huge! Good to hear another recommendation for the 57+... a lot of people are down on it because its a Gibson product but maybe thats just because Gibson guitars are not up to a quality standard that they used to be.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Iommi Humbucker. It was all I ever wanted in a bridge pickup. I would not suggest the 57 Classic for you. Sounds like you want a little more oomph.

I am pretty fond of the lace sensors in my Strat, too, but the Blue in the bridge might not be hot enough for you. I found the Red to be harsh in the bridge position, but I have one for sale if you want to give it a whirl.

A set of EMG SA's (old one's if you can find them) are the shizzle for the strat in your application.

I changed mine for Texas Specials because I didn't need the grunt anymore.

I've also got an EMG 89 and an 85 as well out of a sh*tty old LP copy somewhere too. That thing cooked; but the neck was like an oar... :shock:

Still got 'em if you want to buy them 8)

I LOVE my EMGs. I have an 85 in the bridge and 60 in the other. It's VERY defined, so if you screw up everyone will know it. Good thing I never screw up!

Back