hey guys, guitar choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing for almost 30 years. My first good guitar was a Les Paul Custom, bought new in 1980 and still with me today (looks like my avatar). Throughout the 80s and early 90s, I was content to switch off between the LP and a Kramer, or Ibanez, or some other super-Strat flavor of the month instrument.

In the late 90s, I started to really analyze guitar sounds, especially since I was getting into blues, country, roots rock, and other things besides heavy metal. I started to learn how different guitars have innate sonic qualities, and where the strengths, weaknesses and uses for those qualities are. In short, I think a well-rounded sonic assortment for a guitarist would be a collection containing:

A dual humbucker solid body with a fixed bridge (Les Paul, SG, Explorer, McCarty)
A P90 pickup solid body (Les Paul Junior, Special)
A Strat type with three single coil pickups and vibrato bar
A Tele type with barrel saddled bridge
Something jangly, maybe even a 12 string electric (Dano, Rick)
A super-Strat, with humbuckers (at least one) and a Floyd type bridge
A hollow body arch top that benefits from a wound third string
Acoustics, steel and nylon string, 12 string
A bass
A baritone or seven string (although personally I would not use one)

What am I missing?

Nice breakdown, Cvan...

... I've played for quite a few years as well and have gone through bunches of guitars... what I have arrived at currently is in my sig as well as a Fender Jazz Bass and an Ovation acoustic. I'm very happy with what I have I think I can handle pretty much any type of sound...

If I am weak anywhere, it'd probably be in the area of jazz tones and I am chomping at the bit to add a ES-335 to my collection. With that guitar, I think I would be "done". ;)

I have a LP Custom, American strat, and an RG520QS. These 3 cover almost everything I need. The only other thing I would want would be a hollow body of some sort. I've played quite a few and the 335 is awesome, but I seem to prefer the 125TDC (?) Like the one Thorogood plays. It has the 2 dog ear P90's, and has a raunchier tone, very mid heavy. This would be good for slide, blues, and rock.
But alas, my wife would kill me in my sleep if I purchased one now... Between my son ,daughter and I , we have 9 guitars in the house, and 5 amps...The gear is evenly dispersed throughout the house so as not appear like overkill...This winter, I'd like to finish a room in the basement as a studio of sorts. This way, we could keep it all together, and do more recording .
Anyways... The LP,strat, super floyd strat, is about all I need for now...
ax. :twisted:

artists are awesome guitars! i know mike mushok used one back in the day. id really like to get one. then for a speed guitar..... *cough* ibanez RG, lol sry im a bit of an ibanez freak :roll:

No need to hide it.. Ibanez makes some excellent guitars.. My RG is the fastest, slickest guitar I've ever played.....Excellent tone as well, and that's with the stock pups.... Always a pleasure to play..
ax. :twisted:

Back