Looking for a guitar NEED MAJOR HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hi guys, im looking for a guitar and im going to be extremely picky because im going to buy it and it'll be my MAIN guitar for a LONG time so I might as well get it the way I want, so if you guys know of any guitars that are to my demanding needs then please do tell!

what I need in the guitar

- 24 fret neck *
- fast neck ( musicman fast ) *
- 3 way toggle switch
- 2x humbuckers *
- NO floyd rose *
- floating tremelo ( like musicmans )
- double cut away body *
- 1x( volume + tone knobs )

what I want in the guitar

- piezo
- contour on the body for picking ( like musicman petrucci guitar )
- to look fricken awesome
- volume and tone knobs not so **** close to the string ( like strats )

Now I've found TWO guitars that are pretty much up to what I want, they are the 20th anniversary musicman and the john petrucci musicman, I personally would like to stay away from the petrucci guitar because it's a signature and I would like to play something of my own, and the 20th anniversary right now seems like THE guitar. IF anyone knows of any guitars that are pretty close to what I want then please tell me!
PS: the * means it's the most important

thanks

i would say look at some carvin stuff.

also, if you want something like that and can't find exactly what you want then have a luthier build you a custom guitar...or a guitar from warmoth built to your specs.

PRS guitars. Check out the new Tremonti model, the Single Cut, the CE-24, and the 5-13. For Acoustic sounds, you could just get a guitar with a coil tap and a Boss (or other) Acoustic Simulator pedal and run the bridge pup in single coil mode. Just a thought (my marshall avt 275 has an acoustic simulator channel that is pretty convincing with single coils, humbuckers are a little warm, but still do the job pretty well, just need more "top" added to brighten it up)

-AJH

didn't you just describe the John Petrucci model?

why not get it?
It's a great instrument, so who cares if it's a signature model?

+1 on the Petrucci.

Out of my six guitars it's my favorite.

It's the best-built.
It feels the best when playing.
It's got the most articulate tone, even with high gain.
Its pickups are the least noisy or prone to EMI.
It's the best looking (Mystic Dream finish).

Avoiding it because it's a signature model would mean you'd be missing out on a fine quality instrument that's exactly what you're looking for. The signature isn't that noticable, and it's not some wildly exotic style or finish that screams "someone else's signature axe" (e.g. Zakk Wylde Epiphone LP). I'd suggest putting aside your bias and actually playing one through your rig, and judging it based entirely on that.

Haven't played the 20th Anniversary, but all MM's are incredibly well-built and great value for their price, so you can't go too wrong either way.

Nick_cor said:
Now I've found TWO guitars that are pretty much up to what I want, they are the 20th anniversary musicman and the john petrucci musicman, I personally would like to stay away from the petrucci guitar because it's a signature and I would like to play something of my own, and the 20th anniversary right now seems like THE guitar. IF anyone knows of any guitars that are pretty close to what I want then please tell me!
PS: the * means it's the most important

thanks

I can understand your hesistation about a signature model guitar, but I have to say, a great guitar is a great guitar and the Petrucci guitar is a great guitar.

A few thing's worth consideration.
First, you're describing it to a T as what you want in a guitar, it has everything.

Second, it's not one of those obnoxious sig guitars like say the Zakk Wylde Epiphone where everyone could just look at you up on stage and know that you're playing a Zakk Wylde guitar.

Third, you said you want something of your own. You need to alter your perception on this one a little. Every guitar out there is owned by hundreds even thousands of people, unless you get sponsored and have a company make you your own sig guitar, you'll never have something you're own. Yet you can make any and every insturment you play your own by the way you play that insturment. You don't sign a contract with Musicman stating that you must sound and play like Petrucci upon buying one of his guitars.

I think that buying anything else at this point would be a mistake, and one you would regret in the long run. And once again, it's a great fuckin guitar. I'm a lefty, and got a chance to play with one for a while, even though the guitar was upsidedown for me it was still awesome, and I can see it easily outplaying my Ibanez RG1570 Prestige.

edit: I started typing my reply before I saw the last post. Isn't it funny how when people think of sig guitars the Zakk Wylde always comes to mind first? :D

Guys, thanks alot, I really like what you've said. I mean a guitar is a guitar and the petrucci and 20th anniversary have exactly what I NEED and want, so im just going to with that, for me, playing john petruccis guitar on stage would make me feel kind of weird, but you're right about it, it's not really "LOOK AT ME" kind of guitar like the bullseye.. anyways thanks !

I personally like signature guitars....i like the buzzsaw better than the bullseye, but that's beside the point....If you like the guitarist, why not buy their guitar...if you're a fan of their music, and play music similar, I don't see anything wrong with paying homage to your influences and buying their gear. My next guitar is quite possibly going to be an ESP KH-2NT, because why? I'm a huge 'tallica fan (hints what got me into Mesa), and it's a great guitar with everything I need (floyd, dual 81's, 24 frets) that I could see myself playing on stage. Is it weird being someone else's signature? Not to me. I don't get why people slam those who want to be like their guitar heroes by buying their sig models. To me their like someone wanting to be a police officer but not wear the badge. At least these guitarists want their influences to be known. Just my thoughts.

-AJH

+1 for the Music Man Petrucci JP-6.

It's my favorite guitar of all that I own, and my next favorite is probably my Music Man Axis Super Sport. It's only a 22 fret guitar with a rounder neck compared to the JP-6, but you could get it with a piezo option, and swap out the five-way switch with a three-way tele switch after the fact.

The custom DiMarzio pickups in the Axis SS aren't as hot as the D-Sonic and Air Norton in the JP-6 (though the neck pickups are particularly similar).

Not all artist signature models are great guitars -- many are made to a specific player's singular requirements, which aren't necessarily good from the guitar design standpoint overall. But the JP-6 is an outstanding guitar for players in every style of rock music.

There is no difference between the 2007 20th Anniversary edition and the 2006 model other than the availability of the Blue Dawn sparkly finish and a commemorative inlay at the 12th fret. If you're just buying this to be your main axe for the next many years, you'll have an easier time finding a 2006 for sale somewhere, and you won't be missing anything tone-wise.

Here's my review of the JP-6 for more details on it:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/1006_MusicManJP6.php

Scott

I don't know how much you can spend, but you may want to look at a Vigier. I tried one at Tone Merchants and they fit the bill exactly for what you want. If you are willing to get a 22 fret guitar, get a Suhr. That's what I did.

If you are strapped for cash, look for a used JP. I saw and played one at Squid Music in Stanton, CA. It had the finish that looks different depending on lighting (I dunno what it is called), but did not have the piezo option.

I just remembered that Rockit Music in Brea, CA has a high end RG with 2 humbuckers and a fishman piezo system on the trem, 24 frets, not quite as wide as the musicman neck, but just as flat. It plays great and they want to blow it out. You may get a great guitar for cheap there. I believe that model was a knock off of Petrucci's when he was with Ibanez.

Have fun in your quest.

You know, Music Man now offers Piezo on all their guitars. You can always get an MM and it not be the JP. I have always liked the axis but if you like that strat body get the Sil. That way you can have the choice you want with out the sig if that is so important to you. The guys are right. If you love it you love it. It's not as if it's totally impossible that we as regular players might actually want some of the same things in a guitar that a "pro" might. If you want a JP get it and don't look back.

If you are looking for a super strat get a Suhr custom with best quality.. I own a classic and is amazing... 8)

i would go with a Carvin. trust me man, they are the greatest gutiars you'll ever play, i was looking for THE guitar for about 2 years and though it took a while, i'm glad that i ended up with a carvin. go for a DC 127. i'll put up pictures of my guitar in a few hours on here to show you what mine looks like. Anyway yea i promise that you'll love a carvin.

Latest posts

Back