G&L Tribute ASAT Classic - Anybody Got One?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvansickle

Reaction score
This month, I've got a Tele jones!

I've tried a few Fender models at the local Guitarget. I wasn't impressed, mainly because none of them were set up to play, not even the top end 52 Reissue! Then I tried a couple G&L ASATs, both the American and imported Tribute models.

Hot dog - we have a weiner! The Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow is the one for me. I prefer the thinline body weight to the solid, and I prefer the Tribute neck to the American. The pickups say "spank me!" The price is right too.

Unfortunately, the one I tried locally was used, and the previous own made a couple of mods I don't want. I probably have to order one new online. Does anybody have one of these Tributes, and what's your opinions?

Thanks!

I've got a 96 ASAT Classic Custom that I bought new. Love it. There are a couple of different neck profiles available. Never tried a Tribute.

Ive said it before, I'll say it again,
if I wanted a Telecaster Id buy a....

another gibson instead! :twisted:

j/k
I actually own a tele, and my bassist has a ASAT. Smokin lil guitar.

I got the Tribute. It needed a setup upon arrival, and had a scratchy volume pot. Otherwise, it's a terrific guitar, especially for the price. It's probably the best Korean import I've ever played, and I still say it beats the Mexican Fenders (and some American ones too) for build quality and playability.

Its nice to see some G&L owners. I have a 1995 G&L USA Legacey with hand wired pickups they dont make anymore. IT is also the last of the 3 bolts they made. I love it even though i dont play it much. I am hoping one day it will be collectors item. :lol:

The only issue with the Tribute series is the pots. The pickups are the same as the American model, but the pots and switch are cheap crap. The volume pot on mine was totally scratchy. An upgrade to the RS Guitarworks premium kit is highly recommended.

This past weekend, I visited the Guitar Cabin store in Anderson, SC. They are a G&L dealer and have sold more than their share of Tributes. The guy working there on Saturday told me that the majority of their Tributes sold had bad pots too, and he complained to G&L about it. Their answer of course had something to do with "meeting a certain price point." Everything else though - the pickups, the wood, the construction, etc. - is supremely high quality, especially for an import.

I love my G&L's, with the Special being my favorite...

cherry1.jpg

geetars3.jpg

Latest posts

Back