IM A PICKUP NOOB HELP!

Discuss guitars of any brand

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan

MoonxShade
Bottle Rocket

IM A PICKUP NOOB HELP!

Post by MoonxShade » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:54 pm

So i been want to get a wilde l500xl i heard its as tight and aggresive as pickups can get i just dont know anything about neck pickups and how to match pickups and when to even use neck pickups in metal

MkIII Renegade
Mark III

Re: IM A PICKUP NOOB HELP!

Post by MkIII Renegade » Sun May 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Nuno and Dime both had this figured out:

L500XL + '59N. I did that in my ash Charvel and couldn't be happier.

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

MoonxShade
Bottle Rocket

Post by MoonxShade » Mon May 11, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks for responding bud! But i dont think i want to use a 59 i really want to come up with something really different from everyone else thats why i choose the 500xl because literally everyones using emgs i want a all original sound so i prolly dont want a 59

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Wed May 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Hey man, can I make a suggestion since it sounds like you're kinda starting out? Honestly, if you're playing more modern (like, after 1985) heavy stuff, start with a set of EMGs. Really.

For high gain (as opposed to blues or jazz or classic rock where you never get past "crunchy"), pickups are not the most important part of your "sound" as long as they're pretty high-output humbuckers. I'm not saying they don't matter, but speaker changes, a different boost pedal, dialing the amp differently, or even just a different tube in V1 will almost always make a bigger difference. Pickups are also pretty cheap to change later compared to cab/speakers or amp or guitar, or even a decent boost.

EMGs will give you a really good 'baseline' because, like you said, everybody uses them. That's because they generally play well with any high gain amp, they're balanced between being meaty enough for riffing but not woofy or loose in the lows, they have enough highs for shredding, and they also do cleans well enough. I'm not saying "they're the best", because that's an individual thing, but they're a standard in metal because they're really good for metal.

Then once you've got a feel for EMGs you'll always be able to ask 'what does that sound like compared to an EMG81' because, again, it's kinda the standard, and you'll know how that EMG sounds and feels to play. Then you can try other pickups and actually know what people are talking about :)

Same reason that you should always try to get your hands on a Recto or a 5150/6505, even just for a good test drive - they're common amps in metal for really good reasons.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 100 head
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

lookslikemeband
Mark III

Post by lookslikemeband » Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 pm

To keep up with the "heat" of the 500XL.. I'd go with a super thick neck with strong output (Black Winter, Sentient; etc).. You don't need to worry about the fonts matching up between the pickups.. so the Old English font of the Black Winter could be cool.

Another great option is the Alt8 neck. (if you're staying Seymour Duncan)