TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Discuss guitars of any brand

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Will
Bottle Rocket

TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Post by Will » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 am

Does anyone have these pickups on their Gretch hollow body or semi-hollow body guitar? Or, even on another brand guitar?

I recently played a friend's Gretch Electromatic G5622T semi-hollow body guitar. I loved the feel of it and especially the gorgeous finish ("Orange Stain"). I have read a lot (pretty much all highly favorable) about the TV Jones pickups, and how they can deliver that classic Gretch sound, especially the TV Jones "Power Tron" and the "Classic."

I can't spring for a high end Gretch at present ($2800 - $3500), so my feeling was that with some nice mods, i.e. the pickup swap, high quality locking tuners and a roller bridge, and having it PLEK'd, I could have something relatively comparable to the higher end models for just a bit over half the cost.

I would be interested in getting some feedback on what you think of the TV Jones pickups, and/or your thoughts about the other mods I am planning?

57nashlefty
Bottle Rocket

Re: TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Post by 57nashlefty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:10 pm

I recently installed a pair in my G5220, taking out the stock pup's, and I like the difference. They are somewhat janglier in the middle, and definetly louder. The toughest part of the job was pulling the leads back through the guitar.

Will
Bottle Rocket

Post by Will » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm

@57nashlefty - sounds like a great upgrade to your 5220. Enjoy!

RR
Single Recto

Post by RR » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 am

Here's a comparison of Gretsch Stock -vs- TV Jones Magnatron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_x2X4RSGVM

Will
Bottle Rocket

Post by Will » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:16 am

After watching the video comparison of the Gretch Stock Pickups versus the T.V. Jones Magnatrons, I gotta say that I preferred the tone of the stock Gretch in most of the pickup positions/configurations. Of course, this is all a matter of personal preference.

As a sequel to my original post on this thread, I ended up not getting the Gretch Electromatic G5622T semi-hollow body guitar. I opted instead for the G5420T Electromatic full hollow body in the Fairlane Blue finish, which I like even better than the orange stain. I took a chance getting one on Reverb.com that had been a Sam Ash store demo, and did no upgrades whatsoever, and I am thrilled with this decision. The stock Blacktron pickups sound fabulous, and the guitar stays in tune perfectly, even with the stock tuners and bridge and using the licensed Bixby (although I don't lean on the Bixby heavily). With a nice TKL hardshell case with the Gretch logo, I was out the door for about $825 - less than half of what I was originally going to spend.

Through my Fender Super Champ X2 head plugged into a Mesa Boogie California Tweed 23 Cab with a 12 inch Jensen Blackbird Alnico speaker, I'm in tone heaven...

RR
Single Recto

Post by RR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Yup, I prefer the stock Filtertron too. For the record the TV Jones is "Magnatron" so not sure how the other TV Jones compared.

For my taste the TV Jones was too clean, bright but Filtertron was more Gretsch like how I prefer them.

I too want a Gretsch but can't afford "White Falcon" or "Chet Atkins" model so I too may go Electronmatic or I may buy those Far East import kits. I have the skill to align, finish and do fret crown job on these import kits. These kits are NOT "glue on the neck and refinish and ready to go). They do need attention and they do need fret leveling and crowning. Don't asks me how I know (buying E-Bay Far East cheapy necks).

Will
Bottle Rocket

Post by Will » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:18 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with the Electromatic - quality, beauty, tone and playability I would expect only from a guitar double, or even triple the price.