TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Discuss guitars of any brand

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Will
Bottle Rocket

TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Post by Will » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 am

Does anyone have these pickups on their Gretch hollow body or semi-hollow body guitar? Or, even on another brand guitar?

I recently played a friend's Gretch Electromatic G5622T semi-hollow body guitar. I loved the feel of it and especially the gorgeous finish ("Orange Stain"). I have read a lot (pretty much all highly favorable) about the TV Jones pickups, and how they can deliver that classic Gretch sound, especially the TV Jones "Power Tron" and the "Classic."

I can't spring for a high end Gretch at present ($2800 - $3500), so my feeling was that with some nice mods, i.e. the pickup swap, high quality locking tuners and a roller bridge, and having it PLEK'd, I could have something relatively comparable to the higher end models for just a bit over half the cost.

I would be interested in getting some feedback on what you think of the TV Jones pickups, and/or your thoughts about the other mods I am planning?

57nashlefty
Bottle Rocket

Re: TV Jones Pickups on a Gretch

Post by 57nashlefty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:10 pm

I recently installed a pair in my G5220, taking out the stock pup's, and I like the difference. They are somewhat janglier in the middle, and definetly louder. The toughest part of the job was pulling the leads back through the guitar.

Will
Bottle Rocket

Post by Will » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm

@57nashlefty - sounds like a great upgrade to your 5220. Enjoy!

RR
Single Recto

Post by RR » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 am

Here's a comparison of Gretsch Stock -vs- TV Jones Magnatron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_x2X4RSGVM