The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:57 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I was picking up my usual EB Slinkys today at my local shop and they didn't have the size I wanted for my 7-string. The dude told me to use Elixir Nanowebs because they're better and last 4 times as long. I had never heard this and honestly never heard much about Elixirs. Over the years I've played GHB, D'Addario, Dean Markley, and probably a few others, and never found anything better than EB. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:05 pm 
Mark III

I like D'Addario nyxl's myself. I think they sound better and last longer than Ernie Balls. I have to change Ernie Balls after only a couple of sessions, where nyxl's can last twice as long, for me anyway. I used to play elixir on all my guitars but non coated strings sound so much better fresh. Now I only use elixir on my Floyd Rose equipped guitar. The elixir's can last months and still sound and feel reasonable. And if there is any way I can not jack with my Floyd, I'm all for it. Unless your recording or are very picky, the elixirs can save you a lot of time and money. They just don't quite sound as good as a fresh set of uncoated strings, but they ain't too far off.

Mark V
JP2C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Mark II

My experience has been pretty much the same. Nothing really sounds as good as "fresh strings" but that quickly goes away as you compress the wrappings on the bottom of the wound strings. The Coated strings stay "usable" for a lot longer, IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm 
Donating Member

I bought EB Cobalt 9-46 the other day. Faulty 9 &11, they came apart at the ball, unwound after the first song. I did find the output to be clearer and louder than the Daddarrio 9-46 strings.