What to do with 2 extra Vintage 30's 16 ohms....suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdomheights777

Reaction score
Once my ev's come in I will have 2 Vintage 30's 16 ohms with no place to stay. My inital thought was to replace the Black shadow in my Mark V combo with a V30 but with them being rated at 16ohms i guess i can't. So should I sell them as a pair, seperate or buy an empty Avatar 2x12 contemporary cab that way when I record if i wanted a V30 tone I would have it readily available while in the studio?

well, hold on to them till you get a handle on the new speakers to make sure they're for you. then, i'd think about the extra cab if you have space (or maybe just a 1 x12...) maybe mesa will sell an unloaded cab? then you can get a ported or 3/4 back or seomthing like that

I would absolutely buy an empty (and their cheap!) avatar 2x12 and put them in there when you want that Vintage 30 sound back (and you will).

So I just read in my boogie Manual and I guess throwing one 16 ohm speaker in the combo and running it into the 8 ohm input will be safe.

kingdomheights777 said:
So I just read in my boogie Manual and I guess throwing one 16 ohm speaker in the combo and running it into the 8 ohm input will be safe.

You can run a 16ohm cab out of the 8ohm jack on the back of the Mark V with no problems.

Hendog said:
kingdomheights777 said:

You can run a 16ohm cab out of the 8ohm jack on the back of the Mark V with no problems.

am i going to see a huge sound difference? I have read that it will be darker

kingdomheights777 said:
Hendog said:
kingdomheights777 said:

am i going to see a huge sound difference? I have read that it will be darker

Good luck finding anyone who has A/Bed this. The problem is, to do a successful comparison you must have 2 identical cabs loaded with identical speakers. One must be 8ohm and one must be 16ohm. No one has that.

The tone is said to be darker when running a 16ohm cab out of a 8ohm amp out. A slight power loss is also said to occur.

Food for thought: 2 x 16 ohms in parallel is 8 ohms. A 2 x 12 cab set up like this could run out of one of the four ohm speaker outs, with the 8 ohm combo speaker out of the other four ohm jack, for a total of four ohms, completely normal. Not even a mis-match. :D

Hendog said:
Good luck finding anyone who has A/Bed this. The problem is, to do a successful comparison you must have 2 identical cabs loaded with identical speakers. One must be 8ohm and one must be 16ohm. No one has that.

The tone is said to be darker when running a 16ohm cab out of a 8ohm amp out. A slight power loss is also said to occur.
This would be easy to a/b. Use the same cab and try it in the 8 ohm jack and then the 4 ohm jack. You will hear the difference. Perhaps darker, but the volume will be the biggest difference. To run the numerically higher load at the same volume, you would have to turn up the amp. Obviously with the output higher the power tubes will have more influence on the tone, and you will definately hear that. Problem is that the amp is working twice as hard for half the power, roughly. It's considered a safe mismatch when the speakers have a numerically higher resistance value, but the amp does work harder.

I have two 16 ohm Mesa V30's that I have yet to find a home for. Just holding on to them for safe keeping until I come up with something. The speakers that replaced them are definalely staying in the cab they are in.

MesaDCLP said:
Hendog said:

This would be easy to a/b. Use the same cab and try it in the 8 ohm jack and then the 4 ohm jack. You will hear the difference. Perhaps darker, but the volume will be the biggest difference. To run the numerically higher load at the same volume, you would have to turn up the amp. Obviously with the output higher the power tubes will have more influence on the tone, and you will definately hear that. Problem is that the amp is working twice as hard for half the power, roughly. It's considered a safe mismatch when the speakers have a numerically higher resistance value, but the amp does work harder.

I have two 16 ohm Mesa V30's that I have yet to find a home for. Just holding on to them for safe keeping until I come up with something. The speakers that replaced them are definalely staying in the cab they are in.

I have seen that it is not advisable to run a 16ohm cab with a 4ohm out so I assumed that test could not be done.

And by the way, the amp is actually running cooler by doing this. So how is it working "harder"???

I have a 2x12 FAD cabinet (custom built with custom V120 speakers - a V30 without the harshness let's say)
it's 4ohms or 16ohms switchable.

I put it on 16ohm and connect it to the 8ohm output.
I connect the internal speaker on the 4ohm output.

For me it does sound different than only using the internal speaker at 8 ohms, or just the cabinet at 4 ohms.

The FAD cabinet made my previous amps sound soooooooooooooo much better.... Still have doubts with the Mark V though.
Seems like the Black Shadow speaker sounds better.

Next week i'm testing the Mark V with an oversized Mesa cab with V30's

Mark V said:
I have a 2x12 FAD cabinet (custom built with custom V120 speakers - a V30 without the harshness let's say)
it's 4ohms or 16ohms switchable.

I put it on 16ohm and connect it to the 8ohm output.
I connect the internal speaker on the 4ohm output.

For me it does sound different that only using the internal speaker at 8 ohms, of just the cabinet at 4 ohms.

The FAD cabinet made my previous amps sound soooooooooooooo much better.... Still have doubts with the Mark V though.
Seems like the Black Shadow speaker sounds better.

Next week i'm testing the Mark V with an oversized Mesa cab with V30's

Please post your findings!

Will do!
I'll take my Marshall 1960a cab with me as well (for sale, since I got the FAD cab). Might be fun... one marshall cab, one Mesa oversized :D

Latest posts

Back