Was Looking for a Dual Rec, Discovered the Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil M

Reaction score
I've been into Marshalls and Marshall-influenced amps for most of my playing years. I've been using Splawns for the last 8 years and have a Friedman Naked as well.

I joined a new cover band that will need a heavier and definitely more modern sound. It's not metal but will include things like STP, AiC, Godsmack, Incubus, Godsmack, Chevelle, etc. I love my Splawns but the tone is all wrong in this project. Been using the Naked which is great but not as gainy as most people think it is. I use Les Pauls and control gain levels with my guitar's volume a lot but this time it's just not right. I need to bring the noise and I started thinking back to some amps I had years ago. The '94 Tremoverb definitely came to mind. That's the sound ... or at least part of it.

I started thinking about all the good things I've read about the multi-watt Dual Recs and came across the Roadster. Never heard of this one before so I'm hoping to try one or both models this weekend (if in stock). The 3 or 4 channels would be nice because I have to cover a lot of ground.

Here's what I'm wondering. I'm guessing the heads match best with the matching cab from their series. If I get a new Mesa head, I'll have to wait on the cab and would probably wait for a used one to pop up locally. My current 4x12 is a Splawn with the Smallblock 55 speakers. These are similar to greenbacks but with higher power ratings and tighter bass. Will a Rectifier series amp sound OK or is it a no-no? I think I know the answer but I'm asking anyway ... :wink: Most of my experience lies with the Brit style high gainers.

I've run Rectos through Greenback cabs and it sounds good. It's gives the amp more of a Marshall-ish vibe because the speakers crunch and do their thing in the midrange that people normally associate with a Marshall. If you want the full on scooped and percussive Recto sound getting the matching cab will go a long way but your current cab should in no way hold you back.

I ran my Roadster through a lot of cabs before settling on a Splawn 4x12 with Small Block speakers. It was a very unique sound and very smooth.

Hey, thanks for all the tips and comments, guys! Sounds like my cab may very well work with a Dual Rec ...

But I just got back from a pretty depressing trip to the store. First, I broke my own rule and didn't bring one of my guitars. Even still, I don't think any of the ones I tried were running at optimum.

The Multi Watt DR was OK but I know I've played those in the past and I remembered it sounding a lot better. I had an old Tremoverb head and that thing had beastly gain and low end.

Luckily, they had a Roadster but it was a 2x12 combo. I plugged in anyway and it was pretty good. If I'd bothered to run it through the 4x12 I probably would've liked it better. Great clean channels! I thought the gain wasn't up to what I remember of the Rectifier series so I'm thinking old or beat tubes.

There was a Royal Atlantic RA-100 head but it was DOA. Also a really old Stiletto Trident. Ugly as hell but great clean channel. The gain was too similar to what I already have (I believe these are Marshall based).

Anyway, I haven't given up but I might have to consider taking a risk and ordering new. Gotta think on that some ...

Well, it's been said that of the newer Rectos, the Roadster is most like the Tremoverb in tone! I actually like the combo version of the Roadster, great, thumpy, enclosed cabinet, with huge projection!

My Roadster through the Splawn cab and EMG pickups had more gain and saturation than I could ever use and that's without any boost pedals. My biggest struggle with the Recto series was keeping the low end tamed enough to do fast riffs that kept their definition.
Gain shouldn't be an issue once you get to know how it is structured and how it likes to be played.

So reverb and 1 extra clean/crunch channel. Any other reason to get the Roadster over the Reborn Dual Rec? Do the gain channels give up pretty much the same tone and feel?

Thanks.

Phil M said:
So reverb and 1 extra clean/crunch channel. Any other reason to get the Roadster over the Reborn Dual Rec? Do the gain channels give up pretty much the same tone and feel?

Thanks.
The overall voicing of the amp is smoother and darker than a standard dual recto also. My personal opinion is that the Roadster is an upgrade over the Dual.

I have the Roadster combo and love it - great cleans - great djent - ive had it for 2 years and am still discovering new tones all the time - ps the combo is loud as F*&k

Stumblefly said:
I have the Roadster combo and love it - great cleans - great djent - ive had it for 2 years and am still discovering new tones all the time - ps the combo is loud as F*&k

I too have the Roadster combo and love it. However, while it is a loud amp, possibly the loudest I've ever owned, it is also the quietest when need be. The dynamic range is huge! It can be whisper soft all the way to....well, to be honest, I have no idea how loud this amp can get; I'm not brave enough to find out. :shock:

Thanks for all the advice. I think I would've been happy with a Roadster and came very close to getting one but landed at Dual Rec. A brand new one with the black jute grill has been sitting at the UPS hub all weekend and will get delivered tomorrow (I tried to go get it yesterday, no dice LOL).

It came down not so much to price but availability, footswitch dimensions and how much I think I'd actually use the extra clean/crunch channel and reverb.

Too bad, Once you get used to the Roadster, the clean channel will do more for you than you think. I love pushing CH1 Tweed with high gain setting. I do not use the Brit voice in CH2. I actually spend more time with CH3 and CH4 in modern mode. One channel set with tube rectifier and the other set with silicon diode setting.

I also like the reverb but that is me. I usually do not bother with other effects anyway (perhaps a delay but that is about it).

Phil M said:
Thanks for all the advice. I think I would've been happy with a Roadster and came very close to getting one but landed at Dual Rec. A brand new one with the black jute grill has been sitting at the UPS hub all weekend and will get delivered tomorrow (I tried to go get it yesterday, no dice LOL).

It came down not so much to price but availability, footswitch dimensions and how much I think I'd actually use the extra clean/crunch channel and reverb.

The brit mode on channel 2 is worth the extra amount you pay for the roadster alone, great marshall tone.

Phil M said:
I've been into Marshalls and Marshall-influenced amps for most of my playing years. I've been using Splawns for the last 8 years and have a Friedman Naked as well.

I joined a new cover band that will need a heavier and definitely more modern sound. It's not metal but will include things like STP, AiC, Godsmack, Incubus, Godsmack, Chevelle, etc. I love my Splawns but the tone is all wrong in this project. Been using the Naked which is great but not as gainy as most people think it is. I use Les Pauls and control gain levels with my guitar's volume a lot but this time it's just not right. I need to bring the noise and I started thinking back to some amps I had years ago. The '94 Tremoverb definitely came to mind. That's the sound ... or at least part of it.

I started thinking about all the good things I've read about the multi-watt Dual Recs and came across the Roadster. Never heard of this one before so I'm hoping to try one or both models this weekend (if in stock). The 3 or 4 channels would be nice because I have to cover a lot of ground.

Here's what I'm wondering. I'm guessing the heads match best with the matching cab from their series. If I get a new Mesa head, I'll have to wait on the cab and would probably wait for a used one to pop up locally. My current 4x12 is a Splawn with the Smallblock 55 speakers. These are similar to greenbacks but with higher power ratings and tighter bass. Will a Rectifier series amp sound OK or is it a no-no? I think I know the answer but I'm asking anyway ... :wink: Most of my experience lies with the Brit style high gainers.

Sound is in the ear of the beholder. I personally run my roadster through a mesa straight 4x12 (V30s), but the beauty of music is being able to find new sounds and tones. I say give it a try and see what happens, you might uncover a new sound thats incredible!

screamingdaisy said:
I've run Rectos through Greenback cabs and it sounds good. It's gives the amp more of a Marshall-ish vibe because the speakers crunch and do their thing in the midrange that people normally associate with a Marshall. If you want the full on scooped and percussive Recto sound getting the matching cab will go a long way but your current cab should in no way hold you back.

The V30's actually have more of an upper midrange spike then the greenbacks, the greenbacks are smoother and I would not say mid cut, but less midrange then a V30, however the Greenbacks do breakup a lot quicker. But I would never say the Mesa Cabs are scooped at all, very opposite actually.

jbird said:
Well, it's been said that of the newer Rectos, the Roadster is most like the Tremoverb in tone! I actually like the combo version of the Roadster, great, thumpy, enclosed cabinet, with huge projection!

The Roadster is so much darker then a tremoverb which also has more upper mid's then the typical recto. I find the roadster to be a darker roadking (never played a Roadking II) which I have always described as a mix between a tremoverb and a dual rec.

siggy14 said:
screamingdaisy said:

The V30's actually have more of an upper midrange spike then the greenbacks, the greenbacks are smoother and I would not say mid cut, but less midrange then a V30, however the Greenbacks do breakup a lot quicker. But I would never say the Mesa Cabs are scooped at all, very opposite actually.

I agree. My point was more that a Recto cab will do a better job of producing the sound most people associate with a Recto than Greenbacks will.

Back