Volume Friendly alternatives to DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi All:

My son uses a DR with a 2x12 Recto cab for playing out. But trying to keep that amp tamed in a semi-soundproof room in the basement and still have it sound good is tough.

He's a pretty good player and he loves his DR so I don't want to take the fun out of it for him but something has to give - that "thump" generated by a palm mute on the open A string resonates thru the house.

Here he is playing with Mark Tremonti if anyone is interested and then here is his setup at home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kd1Nr2qyx1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfoWd8hxh0&list=UUkG0qaznuCjCpnEkriaDFYw&index=8

Here's what I've tried:
1) Remove 2 of the 6L6 power tubes - no real difference
2) Run 4 6V6's in EL34 mode - no real difference
3) Disable one of the V30's in the 2x12 cabinet - no real difference
4) Run with a Hotplate - sounds pretty bad
5) Ask him to turn down - works but is a PIA to walk down there every time
6) Dial all of the Bass out - sounds like crap
7) Run with a single open back 1x12 with a G12-H30 - sounds like crap

Maybe we just need to put the DR on the shelf except for gigs.

Any alternative amps that come to mind that can give the DR sound at reasonable volumes. I've pretty much ruled out the Mini-Recto because the one we played at the local music store is pretty loud - not sure about the bass "thump" though

I have a Rectoverb head and 1x12 cab that I play and that's better but not much.

Thoughts? Please don't tell me to beat my kid :)

Thanks

Welcome to having a musician in the home, just be glad he is not a drummer!!!

I've struggled with this very thing having a Dual Rectifier and I really don't know what to say to help beyond the options you listed.
The Royal Atlantic 27" 1 x 12 extension cab sounds pretty awesome with a Recto but it's LOUD still. Perhaps soundproofing more would be helpful?

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) he is a drummer too and has been playing drums longer than guitar - the semi-soundproof room was built for the drum kit - the guitar stuff just moved in later LOL

Anyone know anything about those "bass traps" that you put in the corners of the room? So they work?

It's that bass resonance on the low strings that is driving us crazy - not the shear volume - the "punch in the chest" that DR's are so famous for

I could imagine using a DR inside being TOO loud. My Rectoverb inside, was too loud. My mini, even though much better is still too loud for in my house.

I dont think there is anything you will be able to do to DR to make is sound good and quiet at the same time. You could try building some kind of isolation chamber, not sure if that would help.

For my setup I have my Mini with 2x12 when I want to play loud and when I want to play quiet I use my guitar with a USB interface and Overloud 2 running on my computer. With this setup I can choose to listen through my PC speakers or headphones.

Obviously, sound will quality will vary depending on the quality of the speakers and headphones and this setup requires a PC or laptop with minimal specs. But Im sure any 25w 2.1 speaker set with Overloud 2 and a PC will sound much better at low volume than the DR.

Another option is a modeling amp. I owned a VOX VT+ for a while which sounded OK and had tones of options for different amp tones and effects. Fender makes one called the mustang and Peavy the Vyper. But overall to my ears the USB interface with Overloud amp simulation gives me much better tone at low and moderate volume.

Some random thoughts having fought a lot of volume battles myself:

1. Is the low-end resonance transferring through the floor? If so, get the amp up off the floor first. Auralex Gramma or similar.

2. Plexiglas shields or some other kind of baffle - moving blanket over the cab, etc. This will help a lot with overall volume but not much with the low freqs.

3. Use the Hotplate to slave the DR into another amp, instead of just using the Hotplate as an attenuator. Tends to sound way, way, way better in my experience. Signal chain would be DR speaker out --> Hotplate set to LOAD (no speaker cab connected directly to DR)-->Hotplate line out to a clean amp, such as the effects return of the Rectoverb-->Rectoverb speaker output to the speaker cab. Overall volume is controlled at the Hotplate with the Line Out Level knob.

4. New attenuator - the Hotplate has been surpassed by a lot of different products that are all reported to sound better. Aracom, Rivera, Alex, Two Note, etc. etc.

5. Pedal. Grab a cool pedal (to make it fun) like a new Bogner Red or one of the new Mesa pedals. Run it into the DR set clean. Doesn't need to be as crushingly loud and might be novel enough that he won't mind turning down a bit.

6. Mini Recto needs to be loud to sound it's best but it's not going to have near the same thump IMO as a 100-watter. Grab one at GC and try it at home - return it if it's still too loud?

Good luck!

I am not sure where this 2x12 less mid has come from, in my experience the 2x12's have more midrange due to less volume in the cab.

APEMAN said:
I use an old Peavey Bandit 112 as a cabinet at home, connected thru a thd hot plate.... pulling tubes and using the rectifier tube should help a little too - sounds all right but of course not the same than in full volume. I think one of your biggest problems is the cabinet - the 212 recto is pretty scooped and of course made the shake the earth - that cabinet belongs into a band practice room for full volume / its almost impossible to run it without punishing bass.
If the solution with the hot plate sounds too bad for you - maybe buy a good modeller like an axe fx.....

edit:
....., or you use an EQ (19", not a stop box because of the ability to handle line levels) and good cables (to keep the mojo) in the (serial modded) FX-loop und tune out all that punishing bass. Doing so, you can set your amp eq/sound like you are used to and later in the chain make it fit the room you are playing in.

Tried it in the past when I had my thiele 1x12 at home, worked for me.

The MR is a great all-around amp, worth having on its own merits. And it would likely help with your volume issue. And you can get one for <$800.

Alternatively, you can build 2x4 frames of any size, with 1/4" plywood backs. Stuff with fiberglass insulation, and cover the front with any sort of cloth. These do a great job of absorbing sound. Just place in front, on the sides, behind, above, wherever works. They're really cheap and easy to make. I got tie-dye cloth from a discount shop to cover ones I made. They look good, too!

I ordered a set of these Yellow Jacket tube converters yesterday for my Single Rectifier. They allow you to put EL84's in place of 6L6's and it cuts the wattage to around half. I will try these for playing at home and put the 6L6's back in for gigs. I read a lot about them and checked out some videos. Hopefully this will be a good solution. I ordered them from tubestore.com. Check out the link below:

http://www.yellowjacketstc.com/

I also have an Egnater Rebel 20 that dials from 1W to 20W. I play that through my 2x12 Recto cabinet at home a lot and it sounds great at lower volumes. It has 2 6V6 and 2 EL84 tubes. You can dial to the 6V6 or EL84 or blend the two.

I'm going to have to call BS on not being able to get great tone out of a Mini Recto at a reasonable volume, since I do exactly that all the time. My cover band practices in a townhouse, so volume level is a big concern. The drummer uses electronic and hand percussion, and we don't mic vocals. I'm running ch2/vintage with the master no higher than 9:00, and have no problem getting great tone. Of course, 9:00 through a 1x12 is a lot quieter than through a 4x12, so that helps. I also keep the bass knob lower, since that tames the frequencies that most carry through the house.

Sure, they sound awesome cranked, but what doesn't? We just have to remember that we have modern high gain amplification specifically so we don't have to rely on power tubes to provide distortion. ;)

I am surprised by these responses. I run the Master on the orange channel at 9:00 and the Output super low and it is PLENTY quiet and sound pretty good for practicing. It's quiet enough that no one in the house is disturbed. My amp is on the second floor right next to my daughters room and above the living room. They hardley notice it at all.

Sounds good enough that I decided not to buy a low watt tube amp for home practice. I was looking into the new Slash 5 watt combo but don't think it'll be necessary.

Back