• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

UPDATED! MINT 1980 Mark IIB converted to C+ NOW WITH VIDEO!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Mesa converted IIB's to a C+ they completely swapped out the pre-amp circuit board.
In other words IIB's could not be upgraded to a C+ using the IIB pre-amp circuit board.

No doubt your tech did a lot of work which you describe in this thread (and your auction):
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=61411

But I have my doubts about it being an authentic C+ circuit.
With all the mods it may sound better to you than it did as a IIB but calling it a C+ is stretching the truth.

Good luck with the sale/ auction.

I say in the auction- it was not done by mesa and done on the existing circuit- not changing it like mesa does...

because the amp did not have reverb- (leaving one half of one tube unused) he was able to do it all

either way- for a 30+ year old amp the amp is flawless

You should post some pictures of the circuit board. I highly doubt the tech was able to mod IIB preamp board into a IIC+ (and it would be interesting to see quality of work if he redraw the board). Its most likely some sort of hybrid. If he was not able to find a correct pot for the bass, how was he able to find all other genuine parts?

I would not call the amp a IIC+. Also, you are mixing 100W - HRG and simul class - DRG.

huntamps.com

under projects there are before/after pictures of the circuit

jeries said:
huntamps.com

under projects there are before/after pictures of the circuit

Wow.. now i know why Mike never wanted to do IIB=>IIC+ upgrade. The tech didnt reflow or redraw anything on the circuit board, he connected resistors and caps point to point. And some are coupled in really crazy way. For what it is, the job was probably as good as it could be.

Here is a simple truth - its a hybrid amp and IIC+ schematics are notoriously full of errors.

\

No offense but if I'm spending that kinda bacon I'm going with the real deal.

i think i'm at half 'real deal' price

and idk if a 'real deal' has ever sold lately in this condition

if i saw one- i'd max out several credit cards on one

jeries said:

Maybe this can help you (some facts):

Factory C+ can go anywhere between 2800-4000, depending on time of year. Usually they are in very good condition, so condition is not an issue. Thats collector item and no other Mesa amp gets that kind of price premium.
Upgraded C+ can go between 2300-2700, and thats also legit upgraded C=>C+. With time, these will also be able to ask for higher prices as they are same amps.

For better comparison, there was an amp for sale in these forums last year. It was C+ circuit, but transformer was from mkIII. Im not 100% certain, I think it sold below 1600-1700.
You could say that amp was comparable to your hybrid. (if i was to choose, i would still take the other one, as it was fully checked and fixed by Mike B.)

adonixx said:
jeries said:
For better comparison, there was an amp for sale in these forums last year. It was C+ circuit, but transformer was from mkIII. Im not 100% certain, I think it sold below 1600-1700.
You could say that amp was comparable to your hybrid. (if i was to choose, i would still take the other one, as it was fully checked and fixed by Mike B.)

That was my amp - it was a B -> C+ - correct circuit board, but a mark III power tranny... Simul-class, and EQ... I sold it for $1500, which was more than I originally paid for it... And the guy I sold it to put it into a cabinet and sold it for a tad more...

jeries said:

Take out your credit card: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63758

exbest182 said:
i'd be interested to hear what it sounds like.

i know - i'm an idiot
instead of wasting my time doing the video of showing the amp in detail- i should have made a video playing the **** thing- if i did it would probably be sold by now...

i need to work on that this week.

Latest posts

Back