The best lead tone I've ever had in my entire life...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richaxes

Reaction score
... is actually made possible by John Petrucci inspired settings:
https://youtu.be/QQQZubv-lJw?t=2m14s
This little snippet of the video shows everything clearly. Even the volume is absolutely bearable with these settings.

My personal tweaks since I'm using a homemade 2x12 V30 cab and I'm pretty sure he's set up for a Traditional Recto 4x12: 750 slider's bottom above the bottom white line, 6600 slider down to around where the 2200 is, Ch. 3 Presence down to about 10 o' clock-ish.

Others: my guitar is a Music Man JP6 with a D-Sonic in the bridge and a JP Custom Wound in the neck. EHX East River Drive (TS-style pedal) added for lead gain with Volume all the way up and Drive at about 10 o' clock, Tone just above 9 o' clock. G-Major 2 in FX Loop set up for two scenarios: 250/500 ms double delay with lower mix and feedback (for faster leads that need more articulation) and 400/800 ms double delay with higher mix and feedback + a good amount of hall reverb (for bending heaven).

I'm totally stunned. I've tweaked my V so much since I got it a few months ago and while I loved everything I've heard, I couldn't dial in the Mark IV mode the way I wanted to. I eventually went to the controversial IIC+ mode + Triode on the back and it was a lot better. Dialing in these settings took it to the next level, though. I just can't believe how good it sounds now.

This is a very sensitive amp, especially the Presence on Ch. 3 and also the graphic EQ. Hearing what I'm hearing now makes me believe what JP says in the video (they matched his V to his favorite IIC+ with these settings). I was thinking of maybe selling my V and getting a IIC+ no matter the cost and searching, but I don't want to at this point. This is just perfect.

If you're struggling to get a good lead tone (also great for crunchy rhythm, I should say!) or just want to try something different, dial this stuff in. I'm just.. wow. :mrgreen:

Clips, or it didn't happen. :lol:

Congrats! I know what it means to us guitar players to hit those holy grail tones. I did a lot of research, read the manual, watched this and other vids, before I auditioned a Mark V. I was blown away by it and ready to start selling stuff to fund it. Then the V25 was announced and I jumped. I LOVE that amp, but I still think a big V could be in my future. Every time I see guys saying it doesn't sound as good as their original IIC+ or III I just kind of shake my head. Mesa has said many times that the older amps had MANY changes during productions... guys have had them 20 years and have rolled tubes til they found what was perfect for them... auditioning a new V in the store with new speakers that aren't broken in... lots of reasons are possible, but both Mark V amps I played were incredible.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Clips, or it didn't happen. :lol:

Congrats! I know what it means to us guitar players to hit those holy grail tones. I did a lot of research, read the manual, watched this and other vids, before I auditioned a Mark V. I was blown away by it and ready to start selling stuff to fund it. Then the V25 was announced and I jumped. I LOVE that amp, but I still think a big V could be in my future. Every time I see guys saying it doesn't sound as good as their original IIC+ or III I just kind of shake my head. Mesa has said many times that the older amps had MANY changes during productions... guys have had them 20 years and have rolled tubes til they found what was perfect for them... auditioning a new V in the store with new speakers that aren't broken in... lots of reasons are possible, but both Mark V amps I played were incredible.

Hey, thanks for chiming in!

Wish I could record in an acceptable quality. Maybe it will happen at some point in the future.

I totally agree with you about the V. I don't care too much for the IIC+ or III or IV. The V does everything for me that I've ever wanted to hear and more. This is a truly fantastic amp and really really needs time to be spent with.

Back