TC 50 vs Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p19978

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy either at some decent prices ($750 for the Stiletto, $1300 for the TC)... wondering if anyone has played both and could compare/contrast. I am aware of the massive amount of features in the TC 50.

Maybe this question makes sense: will the TC cover the Stiletto sonically, while offering lots of other options as well?

Can't address your direct question as I do not have a TC, but do have a Stiletto and other Mesas and have gone deep down the TC evaluation path as there was some heavy GAS for that one.

Just one mans opinion here, full disclosure 1st, I dig the Stiletto. :)

The main deal with that amp is volume, it has to be opened up to sound good. Depending on your tonal desires the Ace's default v30 speaker may not a good match, other speakers provide much better balance with it. The speaker choice is a major factor with any amp, but it's really an important choice here. Finally there is a Depth/Resonance mod that can be added to the Stiletto that gives it the bottom end many feel is missing with this amp. It's an amazing pedal platform, with stellar pic dynamics plus excellent cleans for a el34 based design. $750 is about right market wise for an Ace... it's a bargain for what you get, if you dig the amp, many don't.

The TC definitely provides that el34 vibe, very versatile gain structure that is controlled, it is a more refined amp. The Ace is raw, untamed. It's the dog that requires being on a leash :LOL:

Both are excellent choices IMHO and yes I still have lingering TC GAS.

Just one gear swapper’s opinion:

You have to test both extensively (buy both) and then decide yourself 😁 answer nobody here wants to hear but only that way you can be sure that you like that whichever remains after some time…

I enjoed playing my Stiletto Deuces (stage II) but they’re all long gone 🤪 that amp had some really nice feel to it and raw quality of tone.. occasionally I still have a GAS for Stiletto Ace but… time will tell will there be one more Stiletto hoarded along the way

All opinions help as I'm not in an area where I can actually PLAY them... having to rely on sound clips... and we know how that can be lol...

I would have to side with Eevil on that. The ACE is at least based on the Stage II version of the Stiletto. The closest I ever got to comparing the two was a Stiletto Stage 1 Deuce and the Royal Atlantic RA100.

That was more of apple to banana comparison. Similar color to the fruit meat but totally different taste. Both competing for the Brit side of the tone farm. I did not keep the Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 for very long, probably just enough time to realize it was not for me and also because I had a short time limit to return it to GC as I bought it online. Traded it in for a RA100 combo that cost me $750. Just an extra cost of $200 over what I paid for the Deuce. The RA was more of my thing. The TC sort of falls into the RA scope but that too is a bit different. Have the TC100 and TC50. Fun amps to play through.

A brief side note on both in general:

Not just the stock tube sound, what about alternatives? Since the bulk of Stiletto all the way up to the recent Badlander, the EL34 Mesa tube is the STR447. Made in Russia and is the EH EL34 tube. Recently Mesa did add in another variant to their offering. They have been working with TAD and PSVANE for alternatives to the Russian tubes and the Chinese Shuguang tubes. PSVANE is Chinese based product. Just for reference, this is the new EL34 tube. Not sure on the specs though.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...boogie-el-34-str-446-power-tubes-matched-duet
Back to opinion based content:

TC50 has a drier character to it compared to its big brother TC100. Awesome if you are into palm muting style. 6-string to 7-string will do. Nice features and such. Much better with the 6V6 tube than the TC100. 6L6 type, the 5881 sounded good in the TC50. I would stay away from NOS EL34 tubes though, plate voltage runs at 450 or a bit higher. I learned the hard way. Mesa did a decent job with the running the EH EL34 (Mesa STR447). I believe the same was stock tubes for the ACE and Stiletto line. ACE and Stiletto amps in general are EL34 power tube specific (this includes the variants: 6CA7, KT77). Based on the plate voltages, 480VDC, not a good candidate for the STR450 NOS Siemens EL34. Current production EL34 can handle a higher screen voltage than the NOS versions.

Those that run the ACE or other Stiletto can add or correct my statement on power tube choice. It does not have the option to run 6L6 tubes. Completely different preamp designs along with the tube rectification tracking. Has plenty of the features borrowed from the Rectifier platform of that era so I am interested in the ACE to some extent. The Stiletto Duece Stage 1 was not bad or anything like that. It was not providing what I was seeking the time I got it. Stage II or the ACE would have been more to my liking.

So, it is a tough call to make and that can only be done by you. If you cannot run them side by side and explore the likes and dislikes, does it fit your needs and desires? It would be hard to make the choice based on comments alone. Hint: Never ask me what I feel about the Mark V90. I bring this up as not all will have the same response. I do not want to bias the thoughts, drain the GAS tank or add to it. I would highly recommend some video reviews of the two at least to start. Does not make up for having it in the room though. TBH, I thought the Stage II sounds great in the videos I have seen. The ACE is on that stage as well. The Stage I was not what I expected. Perhaps some like that version over the other. Just like I prefer the RA over the TC, but if I did not have them both to compare, I would never have known which works best for me.

All opinions help as I'm not in an area where I can actually PLAY them... having to rely on sound clips... and we know how that can be lol...
Of course digging into the forums here you'll find a wealth of info and opinion. :) You may have seen this vid already, if not it's probably one that is a fairly unbiased assessment and accurate tonally.

Stiletto Ace

There are 3 indepth Mesa TC vids with Andy Timmons that are worthwhile too.

Dang it, now I want an ACE. Now that amp sounds fantastic in this video.

This is not quite a head-to-head comparison as it is more of a mix using each amp separately. This does not explore the potential of either amp in general. It was the only video that the two were actually in the same video.

I have seen the TC compared to every other amp except for the Stiletto line or vice versa.

I tried to search for any videos comparing the TC50 to the ACE. I guess my patience was not there this morning. However, the closest I can find is this. Make the assumption that the RA100 is like a TC100 as the triple crown has the same overall tones, just a bit tighter than the RA. The Stiletto Deuce is the 100W version of the ACE. Perhaps this video is not a prime example of the two.

Whilst I cannot speak to the TC variants, I have owned all 3 versions of the Stiletto (stg 1,2 & Ace) as these amps are my favourites from M/B, with Lonestars and Mk 3 and 4 close behind. I currently have both a Stg 2 head and an Ace combo. The Ace is my favourite of the 3 as it is closest to the British (Marshall?) sound while the Stg 2 sounds more Recto based to my ears. If cost is an option, then the Ace could easily be the best bet. But ymmv…

Back