Swapping preamp tubes of the Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahawe

Reaction score
I would like to experiment with different pre-amp tubes a bit and I found a set promising to optimize each channel for its purpose:
One Gold Pin ECC803S for V1, one Gold Pin ECC83S for V2, one High Gain ECC83S for V3, one standard ECC83S for V4 and a Balanced ECC83S for V5.

Now, I have never swapped tubes and I am not sure how difficult that really is and whether I would have to pull the chassis from the cab? I understand with the fixed biasing I should be pretty much able to pull them out, pop new ones in and I should be good to go... right?

Also, should I make sure I get those tubes originally from Mesa with "Mesa" printed on them or does that not make a big difference if the set is intended for the dual rectifier anyway? (And Eurotubes seems like a trustworthy place for tubes...)

And what about those color codes on Mesa tubes? Nowadays they only have "STR 440" 6L6 tubes anyway, or? And what is "gold pin" for a preamp tube?

By any chance, does anyone know a big store in Europe where to find lots of different tubes?

Yes yes. Experiment away. Rectos are really sensative to preamp tube changes.

All you ned to do is pull the power tubes to gain access to the pres. When you pull the power tubes, its good practice to remember which tube came from what socket so they can go back in the same positions. Just bend back the tube clamps and gently wiggle the tube back and forth to get it out. Same with the preamp tubes. You do not need "mesa" tubes although mesa would like you to beleive that $$$$$

As far as gold pin preamp tubes, I personally have never noticed a difference between the gold pins and regular tubes. Maybe its an anti corrosion thing, IDK.

Thank you droptrd! What about handling tubes - is it ok to just hold them with fingers, no worries about getting the little bit of fat from your fingers on them? There are some probably horror-myths you read about tubes... sheesh!

kahawe said:
I would like to experiment with different pre-amp tubes a bit and I found a set promising to optimize each channel for its purpose:
One Gold Pin ECC803S for V1, one Gold Pin ECC83S for V2, one High Gain ECC83S for V3, one standard ECC83S for V4 and a Balanced ECC83S for V5.

Now, I have never swapped tubes and I am not sure how difficult that really is and whether I would have to pull the chassis from the cab? I understand with the fixed biasing I should be pretty much able to pull them out, pop new ones in and I should be good to go... right?

Also, should I make sure I get those tubes originally from Mesa with "Mesa" printed on them or does that not make a big difference if the set is intended for the dual rectifier anyway? (And Eurotubes seems like a trustworthy place for tubes...)

And what about those color codes on Mesa tubes? Nowadays they only have "STR 440" 6L6 tubes anyway, or? And what is "gold pin" for a preamp tube?

By any chance, does anyone know a big store in Europe where to find lots of different tubes?

Eurotubes sells only JJ tubes, and Bob will tell you JJ tubes are the best thing on the planet...remember Bob ONLY sells JJ's. :lol:

If your amp is new, it came stock with Mesa-labeled JJ's. The JJ 12AX7's (ECC83S and ECC803S, long plate version) are run-of-the mill cheap new-production tubes, nothing special, most say they are tonally "dark".

It is safe to handle tubes, as long as they're not too hot

kahawe said:

Eurotubes sells JJs which are the same as 2008 (maybe 2009?) and onward Mesa preamp tubes.

RussB said:
Eurotubes sells only JJ tubes, and Bob will tell you JJ tubes are the best thing on the planet...remember Bob ONLY sells JJ's. :lol:

Yep.. lol. He'd try to sell JJs to a guy who never played guitar.

All the rectifiers I have ever owned I never removed the power tubes. Just reach around and over the trannys. No biggie.

And I have never been secretive about hating JJ tubes. :lol:

So, if I wanted really-really good quality tubes, better no JJs? What would you guys recommend I should definitely try? I understand good quality tubes will cause much less noise and microphonics?

I bought that set from euro tubes about 8 months ago or something .the fav front end set right ?

I like it. Main difference it made was to the clean channel. bit more headroom but that couldve just been the newer tubes I dont know . the other 2 channels same for same really. a slight change but nothing drastic .

I pulled the amp out from the box to do it. was easy

Crazy nice new production 12AX7 tubes... Sovtek LPS & EH Goldpins.

And you want some excellent 6L6 or EL 34, do it SED Winged =C= style.

You won't regret it.

Straight from our boy at : http://www.dougstubes.com/

Electro-Harmonix Gold Pins are insane. I have one in my V1 of my 95 Recto.

What kind of Recto are we talking about? 2 Channel? 3 Channel?

A good Chinese 12ax7 sounds great in V2 and V3. Sovtek LPS for the PI and you are set.

It is a 3 channel recto but not the newest 2010 model - it only has one rectifier selector switch on the back. (Serial numbers for Mesas can be found inside somewhere, right?)

Oh ok yeah just stick your left hand to the far left (looking at the back) and you are right there. While the amp is on standby of course.

Its way easier on the newer rectos than the old 2 Channel ones.

kahawe said:
So, if I wanted really-really good quality tubes, better no JJs? What would you guys recommend I should definitely try? I understand good quality tubes will cause much less noise and microphonics?

It's a subjective thing dude. I like the stock (relabeled JJ) tubes in my amp. Many complain about them darkening the amplifier but I've never felt like my amp (a Road King II) wasn't bright enough.

Really the only way you can find out what you like is by trying it. Maybe buy one or two tubes of a few different types and switch em around everywhere to find what you like the best, and maybe order more of a particular type if you happen to like it a lot. YMMV!

b0nkersx said:
kahawe said:

It's a subjective thing dude. I like the stock (relabeled JJ) tubes in my amp. Many complain about them darkening the amplifier but I've never felt like my amp (a Road King II) wasn't bright enough.

Really the only way you can find out what you like is by trying it. Maybe buy one or two tubes of a few different types and switch em around everywhere to find what you like the best, and maybe order more of a particular type if you happen to like it a lot. YMMV!
+1 I like the JJs too. Though I use a cocktail of preamp tubes in my amp. Just keep experimenting. Next time you retube try something else. I swap out my preamp tubes about every 8-12 months unless I have a failure. My amps get used almost every day with rehearsals or gigs.

In the different amps I've owned, I've always used one JJ and usually put it in the high gain preamp section. I've always been partial to having a tungsols in my v1s and a mix of either Mullards, EHs, Jan/Philips, GEs. Groove tubes only gave me good experiences in the preamp sections of bass amplifiers. They all have their own characteristic and feel in different amps. Like the others have said, try different ones. I've NEVER had the same brand/type of tube in all sections of any amp and was completely satisfied, especially all JJs which the new mesas come with.

i have a large collection of NOS and today's production tubes and the JJ ecc83s is one of my favorite preamp tubes.

Latest posts

Back