Studio Pre saturated rhythm tone clip

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
I suppose this is the best clip I recorded so far! I'm really happy with the result considering I recorded it in a small room and with low quality gear, except for my guitar, the Mesa preamp (obviously!) and the poweramp. So, I thought I'd share it with the board.

Here's what I used:

- Fender American Traditional Stratocaster (with .010-.046 strings and DiMarzio Super Distortion S single-coil sized bridge humbucker)
- MESA/Boogie Studio Preamp
- Tube Works MosValve MV-962 mosfet poweramp (better than many tube poweramps!)
- Line 6 Spider (series I) 1x12" combo used as a cabinet (Line 6 TubeTone 12" speaker)
- Shure SM57 mic
-Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX USB soundcard (not that suited to audio recording but... that's what I have)

Amp settings:

DSC_0631.JPG

Recording technique:

- Shure SM57 mic close to the cabinet grill about halfway between the center of the speaker and its edge.
- Quadruple tracking of the rhythm parts (two far left and right, the other two 10% left and 10% right respectively). The guitar fills at the very intro, halfway through and at the end of the song are just double tracked.

One final note, all the other instruments are midi plugins.

And, finally, the clip. It's called Leave It Behind and there are two versions of it, the original one and a re-equalized one (master eq) for added presence and midrange.

HERE IT IS

The song is 'Leave It Behind' by The Offspring. I'm more into metal lately, but I always digged the guitar tone in the album the song is taken off (Ixnay on the Hombre, 1997). I chose that song also because I love the chugga-chugga rhythm part of the verse.

I hope you can give me some hints on how to improve my tone/recording technique or simply leave a comment! Thank you for listening.

Isn't the Studio Pre basically a Mark III preamp section? The reason I ask is because your tone is **** close to the Smash record, for which they used a Mark III combo. Cool clip!

fluff191 said:
Isn't the Studio Pre basically a Mark III preamp section? The reason I ask is because your tone is **** close to the Smash record, for which they used a Mark III combo. Cool clip!
Thanks fluff!
The Studio Pre circuitry should be similar to the preamp section of the Mark IIC and Mark IIC+, more than probably closer to the latter. It's the Mesa Quad pre (channel 2) that's similar to the Mark III preamp section. I thought The Offspring used Mark IV while recording Smash...

Hmmmmmm it might have been a Mark IV now that you say that. I just remember reading an early interview at the time Smash was released. But that was a while ago. :wink:

Latest posts

Back