Speakers for a Vintage 2x12 Slant Metal Grill Halfback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longer

Reaction score
(Posted this in the Mark V forum, but since it's a vintage cab, I figured I'd post here as well.)

I've been looking for this cab for quite some time. Most I've seen for sale have been trashed.

Finally I found one that looks mint, at a great price, but both speakers have been replaced with 16ohm V-30s.

I have a horizontal recto 2x12 with V-30s that I dig, but I can't help to want to bring this vintage cab to stock.

Right now I'm thinking EVM 12L in the closed bottom and a C-90 in the open top.

That said, I gotta ask those in the know here, what would you do?

BTW, this cab will be for my Mark V head.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

I have 2. Both have EV12L in bottom stuffed with insulation. Top are closed with V30. sounds likes a recto 4x12. If i played a lot of clean or recording, I would open the back. But for rock, the closed V30 and 12L cant be beat!

Nice!
This would make me want to try the EV in the bottom first.
But aren't both your speakers 8 ohm?
I'm under the impression that these 2x12s were originally wired 4 ohm. Wrong?

Thank you!
Hard to find much info on these cabs, but those that have them seem to love them.

Original speakers in these were typically EV 12L's (200 watts), Eminence MS-12's (150 watt), Eminence VS-12 (50 watt), and Celestion C90's (90 watt).
They didn't come with V-30's. So if you want to stay original use pairs or a mixture of the above.

Your idea of an EV in the bottom and a C-90 up top is a common pairing
As is an EV with an MS-12.
Also seen VS-12 in the bottom and a C-90 up top.

I prefer the EV/ MS-12 pairing with Mark series amps.

Longer said:
Thanks for the heads up, but I can't find an EV MS12.
Do you mean the Celestion S12 Sidewinder? I believe it's 150 watts.
Thanks again!

Sorry I abbreviated when typing the combo EV/ MS-12
The EV and MS-12 are two different speakers.
(Electrovoice EV-12L speaker and the Eminence MS-12 speaker)

gts said:
Btw some VS-12's were also labeled with a sticker on the back of the magnet stating
"Vintage Black Shadow"

Yep, that's the one I just got. NCD! I found a pretty clean one that matched a .50 Cal Head.
C-90 on top, VS-12 on bottom. From my research, the VS-12 doesn't seem to get a lot of love. Guess we'll see.

I need to check the wiring, but I would assume both 8ohm speakers would be wired to 4ohm.
I got to confirm this before I get loud this weekend. :)

If I don't care for the VS, I guess the 12L hunt is on.

I just picked up a 4*12 with the c90s and the vs12s, haven't had a chance to play her much yet. Once you've had a run at her, let me know what you think of the vs12s.

VS-12 is a good speaker but it breaks up due to being 50 watts.
People often prefer the EV so one gets the amps true unadulterated tone, uninfluenced by the speaker being used.
This may be why the VS-12 sees so little love around here.

I actually find the clarity of this cab amazing. Sounds way different than the closed back 1936 w/ v30s I was using, so it'll take some time reogramming the presets. Much less bass, but I can probably dial back in what I want. I imagine it will cut through a mix much better. I know its scads better in the jam room. Playing a big outdoor stage next weekend, so I'll find out then

gts said:
Original speakers in these were typically EV 12L's (200 watts), Eminence MS-12's (150 watt), Eminence VS-12 (50 watt), and Celestion C90's (90 watt).
They didn't come with V-30's. So if you want to stay original use pairs or a mixture of the above.

I bought one used last year. It was one of the latest models (outlined MESA/Boogie logo). modern casters.

This has V30 in the top and the bottom (the label on backside shows cel/cel 140W) . The speakers look as old as the box and sound dark compared to actual v30. Nevertheless I replaced them with EVM12L/MC90.

So it seems this is a predecessor of the recto 2x12 cabs and I doubt the sentence, they did never come with V30s

SigiZ58 said:
gts said:

I bought one used last year. It was one of the latest models (outlined MESA/Boogie logo). modern casters.

This has V30 in the top and the bottom (the label on backside shows cel/cel 140W) . The speakers look as old as the box and sound dark compared to actual v30. Nevertheless I replaced them with EVM12L/MC90.

So it seems this is a predecessor of the recto 2x12 cabs and I doubt the sentence, they did never come with V30s

Doubt it all you want. ;-)

Please post some pics of your cab

Latest posts

Back