So..what prompted the change??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
I don't know if this topic has been addressed already, but why were the Celestion Vintage 30's power ratings reduced from 70 watts to 60 watts??Is there a difference in the speakers? I noticed that the back of my cab says it handles 280 watts and it just sparked my interest. (My cab's a little under 2 years old). i know the new ones say s60 on them don't they? Thanks guys

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I don't know if this topic has been addressed already, but why were the Celestion Vintage 30's power ratings reduced from 70 watts to 60 watts??Is there a difference in the speakers? I noticed that the back of my cab says it handles 280 watts and it just sparked my interest. (My cab's a little under 2 years old). i know the new ones say s60 on them don't they? Thanks guys

-AJH

MesaENGR412 ([b said:
posted July 06, 2006[/b])"]They are 70 watts speakers right? On Mesa's website, it says they're rated at 60 watts. This is a misprint right? b/c that's what in my 280 watt power rated Recto std. and 60x4 doesn't =280. Just wondering what the deal was. Thanks. Sorry if this has been addressed before.....I drink diet coke and suffer from short-term memory loss....j/k

yes, you do suffer from short-term memory loss! just kidding, mate! When i read your message i immediately thought of your old post! But I remember back then we hadn't been able to find out the reason for this cange, and it would be interesting if anyone knows now.

rabies said:
Probably b/c the lower the rated wattage of a speaker, the earlier/easier it will distort/break-up.

I think that's why the 25 watt green-back Celestions in Marshall cabs were so popular for metal.

Root cause may also have to do with cutting costs (I've heard the newer ones are made in China as well).
I am not an expert in speakers, but I don't think speaker distortion is really appreciated! I also think V30s produced for Mesa are built in England... On mesa's site 4x12 cabs with V30s are rated 240W since the last summer at least.

Haha, good call ytse, lol. I forgot about that post....oh well, I'm glad to say I haven't forgotten my name yet..........haha.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
Haha, good call ytse, lol. I forgot about that post....oh well, I'm glad to say I haven't forgotten my name yet..........haha.

-AJH
lol! :D And do you know something about V30's tonal deifferences between 8ohm and 16ohm?

Latest posts

Back